I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

A letter from the ATF concerning this...

https://imgur.com/a/ZMiTlkH

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan Who's the next Contestant?

Just picked up my old glasses with new lenses from the eye Dr. Instead of bifocals, these are single vision lenses with magnification for middle/arms length distance.

For the first time in a very long time, the front sight is razor sharp clear for me. Tested it out at a small local gun shop that has 10 lanes in the back and I'm pretty darned happy with the results.

Sabre699 and groundhogday like this.
  3. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

Didn't work very well. Had to lean my head back like a fucking pez dispenser to get the front sight in focus. So much so that it threw my aim high. So neither comfortable nor accurate. Plus the difference in correction between arm's length and 15 yards out is so different that the target is just a blob. I do much better with regular non Rx safety glasses.

4. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

Sounds great! I'm due for a new pair, I'll have to inquire about that.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

“Excuse me Mr. Criminal, can you stand exactly 12 feet from me? Dammit, I can’t shoot a perp without my glasses”

6. gapman789

I'm sure some of yas have heard of these, but for those that haven't....SSP eyewear. Made just for shooting. They put the bifocals at the top of the lens. Youtube it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B5W2PLYG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2L9OMPA8CZSND&psc=1

I currently have these and they work great for seeing the iron sights, but they make the target blurry. The entire lense has varying magnification. .5 - 2.0 diopter. I use 1.0, but am gonna try .5 or .75 to maybe not make the target as blurry as the 1.0 magnifier.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RRDBGQX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

7. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

One of the more serious shooters I know has glasses dialed in for his front sight. Seems to work for him at 20 yards and in. I know another guy that did the trifocals and it was a disaster.

8. StaccatoFan

Someone else mentioned the SSPs...so I tried them...and absolutely hated them.
    Having the front sight clear and the target behind it less clear is more than OK with me. I think the majority of my handguns have optics on them now, but I still like irons
    and my distance vision isn't very bad.

But these old frames with new single vision intermediate lenses are the freakin' cats pajamas!!!!

9. gapman789

WIth the SSP, you can use just the right or left eye bifocal if you aim with 1 eye and leave the other lens clear/normal. So you can see the front sight clearly and in focus with your 'aiming' eye and the other eye can still see the target down range. I'd probably end up cross eyed with that method though. lol.

I'm going to the range today and gonna use my 1x full lens magnifier glasses and see how that does for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RRDBGQX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

glasses 1.0.jpg

10. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

With perfect vision this is the goal.

11. StaccatoFan

Just got back from the range....the new glasses are indeed freakin' fantastic for iron sights.

Regular bifocals work better for guns with red dots..I brought one of each today and tried both with the dot and liked the ones with bifocals better.

12. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

With bifocals does the red dot star burst. Sometimes I forget to take off the cheaters when making adjustments but as soon as I see the dot it’s obvious they need to come off

gapman789 likes this.
  13. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Can we talk training for a bit?

Who has done a class from somebody that travels the country or have you done one that was so awesome you’d tell a friend to travel across the country for it?

This year instead of buying the BNG graphics version of whatever pistol was the must have at Shot Show I’m getting some professional instruction. I’m new to shooting, compared to most of you guys, and I feel like I’ve gotten all I can out of YouTube. I think I’ve hit a wall as far as progression…whatchya got?

14. gapman789

I'm thinkin' the single magnifying lens-ed glasses that i have are the same-ish as to what you're talking about.

I took 4 pistols to the range today, 3 with dots, 1 with irons. So i was switching to just regular clear shooting glasses with the dots, and putting on my +1.0 full lens glasses for the Arex Rex zero with irons....(man I love this gun).

Definitely made the irons crystal clear, with fuzzy targets at 7 yds.

My +.75 magnifiers came while i was gone. I can see the irons clear with less fuzz on the target (my thermos on the kitchen table) compared to the +1.0's.

I think the .75's will be about perfect for me.

I don't wear glasses or contacts, and pass an annual CDL eye exam with no problem and just got my 8 yr drivers DL without issue. So I think my eyes are relatively good at 54.

15. StaccatoFan

A little, but not too bad.

My new glasses should be here this week. The glasses I'm wearing now have lined bifocals, they're my most current glasses I have. I decided to go with lines and see how I liked them. I don't.

The new ones will be back to progressive lenses, and I hope it improves some.

The old frames I had the single vision lenses in were progressives.

16. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

The style of stock has nothing to do with whether a firearm is a rifle or sbr.

"A short-barreled rifle is federally defined as a firearm with a rifled barrel and a stock where the barrel is less than 16” and/or the overall length is less than 26”. For purposes of measuring overall length when a folding or telescopic stock is attached, the measurement is taken from the crown of the barrel to the end of the stock when it is fully extended. Detachable muzzle devices do not count toward an SBR’s overall length."
    I have a 16" AR in 556, so I've been looking at getting an AR pistol in 300 blackout. For no reason other than I just want to experience the different 'flavors' and expand my firearm horizons. Albeit expensive horizons.

300 blackout and 556/223 are essentially the same when it comes to lowers.

17. gapman789

I get all that. But you can have a 10.5” barreled AR pistol with a brace and its considered a pistol. But if you replace that pistol brace with a stock, then its a SBR that needs registered and a $200 tax stamp.

so in that instance, the stock does determine the classification of the gun, no?

18. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

10.5” barrel is a pistol. Adding a regular stock makes it a sbr. Pistol brace makes it a pistol. No current requirement to buy a stamp for a sbr. That could change.

19. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Cite.

ungwaha likes this.
  20. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Sorry that was vague. If you want an SBR then yes you have to file and pay for it. You can still currently own a "pistol". I was not meaning or intended to make it sound like SBR was not a thing. My bad.

gapman789 and speedluvn like this.