1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

It is a sweet shooter! Built like an anvil too. I left everything intact but swapped out the thin trigger for a standard reach version. Dry fired the hell out of it and both double and single action are smooth as butta. Pretty good out of the box too. Balance is perfect.

2. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I love it!
    I fired 100rds through it last night....boom boom boom! no recoil, love it.

[​IMG]

SRT w/ thin trigger, TFO sights on the way, and it has a 2-stage recoil-absorbing rod in it. Even dumping a mag w/ Hot PowerBalls through it as fast as I could pull the trigger, the gun didn't hardly jump at all. Like a 22 :)

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  3. triffecpa

triffecpa Well-Known Member

Picked this up this week. Taurus 444 ultra lite. .44 magnum with a titanium frame and cylinder. Only weighs 28 oz. Shoots well. Amazingly enough the recoil isn't that monstrous.

TR

Attached Files:

4. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Just picked this up, and Springfield is sending me a seven, an eight, a nine round mag, and mag holster as a rebate. So that's two seven round mags, two eight round mags, a nine round mag, a mag holster, and all the backstrap pieces to match whichever I choose, for less than 4 bills. :D

I made a promise to myself that my next purchase will be a 4" or better barrel. I may even go longer and get my self a range hammer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  5. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I never liked the way that subcompact shoots. Too snappy for my tastes. Those grips are harsh too. Otherwise it's a very concealable little gun.

6. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Years of being a mechanic have hardened my hands up nicely. :D It can be a little snappy but most of the smaller conceal guns are the same way. My XD subcompact is a little easier to follow up shots with, but also a good bit harder to hide. I'm also fairly certain that after the XDS breaks in a bit more, it'll be a little easier too. I may unload the subcompact soon for the 5.25" competition XDM model though.

7. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Picked up my Kahr PM9 black with night sight and a magnum research MLR22ATUT (10/22 clone with ultralight stock and threaded tensioned barrel). Now to go break them in (and get glass for the MLR).

What 9mm defensive ammo is tops these days. I've always used Hornady Critical Defense in my 380...

Also ordered a PWS MK216 with the marksman upgrade package... It'll take a while to get but happy Father's Day to me!! Lol... I haven't bought any gun stuff in many years so thought it was time to upgrade a few things...

8. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

The most powerful 9mm loads (but with the most recoil and wear on a given gun) are the Underwood +P+ loads. A close second is the Buffalo Bore +P+ loads.

Underwoods Gold Dot 115gr runs over 1500fps thru a G17. Their Gold Dot 124gr runs 1350ish fps. And my new personal fav, their Gold Dot 147gr runs close to around 1250fps thru it. Expansion averages .79". Penetration in balistic gel runs 13". Just about perfect. In contrast, the 115gr, since its pushed so fast..expands too fast and early, and penetration isn't sufficient.

Heres the test on the 147gr Gold Dot. Pretty impressive.He also tests the 115 and 124gr GDs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMiI8VcPQ3c

9. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I've got an XDS in .45, I'm good for about 100 rounds then I want to switch to something else. I can keep most shots in a 6 inch circle at 15 yards. I'd like to get one in 9mm too but no go in Cali. I'm thinking about picking up a shield in 9.

10. Newsshooter

I have the XDM competition 5.25, it shoots really nice, 147's shoot really soft. I mostly shoot 124's and 147's, haven't had any FTE's or FTF, shooting a mix of ammo. Probably have about 600 rounds through it.

11. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

That's one of the reasons I decided on the 9mm. With today's rounds and the fact that I'll have two more, minimum, I think the 9mm is the way to go with the XDS. Besides, with the .45 and one in the pipe, you're basically carrying a not-as-reliable, revolver. Might as well pick up a .44 Magnum. :D It sucks about the California situation though.

Great to hear! The other long barrel 9mm's I'm looking at are at minimum, twice the cost of the XDM. Having a cheaper option is nice.

12. My kel tech 380 is like that. Think I've put maybe 20 rounds through it. But it fits nicely in your back pocket and will do the job. I didn't buy it to replace a sniper rifle :)

13. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

sorry to be a know it all but you need to cycle more rounds through that weapon. many dont become reliable until around 200 or more rounds.

14. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

So I went to the gun store yesterday to see if they had the gun I wanted...or, at least, the gun I thought I wanted: S&W 586 4". They had one, and I asked to see it. Now I've been lusting after this thing for a while. I learned to shoot pistols on a M17 6", and I guess it just reminded me of that gun.

But when I picked it up it kind of left me cold. I thought there'd be firewroks and $hit. Nothing. It was unspectacular. Then I looked at the price tag. $740. Not in a million years.

AND, given that 9mm+P can deliver similar ballistics nowadays (unless I'm misunderstanding), maybe that bad ass .357 just isn't so damn bad ass after all.

OR I'm gonna get a GP100 AND a nice leather holster for less than the 586.

Unless anybody here has any better ideas???

15. Newsshooter

There are a few choices for trigger upgrades too. Powder River Precision has them for all the springfield models. http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/ I ordered the match trigger for my XDM.

16. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Has anyone taken a G43 to the range yet? The wife isn't in love with her 9mm Shield so I am looking at other options.

17. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

There's an upgrade for the trigger that makes the Shield a different gun. You should look into that. A couple of the operators out here I talk to like that as the CCH over anything with that upgrade
    http://www.amazon.com/Apex-Tactical-Shield-Trigger-Kit/dp/B008LHMFMK

18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone had purchased a 43 yet and their opinions also.

19. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

20. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

I have the apex trigger on my shield. Much better than the stock trigger