1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

OK, for real, I am getting ready to buy a gun....would love some advices.

Main Criteria:
    1) It MUST be DA/SA. I do NOT want a striker fired gun (ala Glock).
    2) 9mm, at least 15rds+. Compact size (not sub-compact) to full-size.

Secondary criteria:
    3) Low bore axis....less muzzle 'flip'/recoil....for faster follow-up shots.
    4) Narrow grip (small hands, short fingers)
    5) Narrow slide (CCW)
    6) Light weight (CCW)

The guns I am looking at are:
    FNX-9
    [​IMG]

Berretta Storm
    [​IMG]

HK P30 or P30s
    [​IMG]

Used HK P7 M13 'squeeze cocker'
    [​IMG]

CZ P07
    [​IMG]

I fired a FNX-9 and HK VP9 last Monday.
    The FNX had softer recoil, but you really had to aim carefully to hit accurately.
    The VP9 was much faster/easier to hit what you aimed at....You had to aim the FNX, the VP was just point/shoot/hit....you couldn't miss w/ the HK.......very little aiming effort. VP9 had Sharper recoil compared to the FNX, but was not bad at all....not more muzzle jump, but was sharper when it went boom.....I loved it except the VP-9 is striker fired, so that's a no-go....but the HK P30 is DA/SA and 'looks' very similar. The bore axis is higher, so I am guessing their is much more muzzle flip in comparison to the VP9????

Have held a Berretta storm, feels great, but looks goofy. Bore axis is kinda high, so wonder if it will have a lot of muzzle flip????.
    Haven't seen/held the PPQ.
    I have not seen/held a P7 M13.
    Have not seen/held a CZ P07.

What says the pistol shooters here?
    I have a store credit for $700, and I want to use it soon. Thanks.

oh,
    and I finally bought a AR15.....7.5" pistol DPMS w/ YHM quad-rail and Magpul sights.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

FNX, but I'm a bit biased, as I have the .40 version. A P30 is on my wish list though. As far as point/shoot/hit, it's all in practice. I started with a G19. Put countless rounds through it over the years, so any Glock I pick up is pretty much point/shoot/hit. Had I purchased the FNX first, and put equal practice in with it, then pretty confident it would be same result.

3. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

I like that one and the 238. I would get the extended mag though on the 238. I've got a 320 full size coming down the pipeline, sucks living 10 minutes away from the Pro Shop.

Picked up my M&P .45 full size last weekend in FDE and was very pleased with how it shot. Very accurate and no issues putting 200 rounds through it.

4. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

I own the p07 and really like it..Lot of gun for the price, trigger needs some time to smooth out though...I liked it so much I bought its full size all metal big brother, a SP-01 and that guns a real shooter..Feels like a big 22 recoil wise.

5. SpeedyE

How is the muzzle jump on the P07???? Are fast follow-ups easy?
    Accurate?
    Is it too big for concealed carry on a short guy?
    Is it heavy or light compared to a Glock?

6. SpeedyE

I really liked the FNX-9.
    I haven't shot in a long time, and I was so-so w/ the FNX.
    The VP9.....first shot was bullseye....I don't know why, but it was so much easier to hit bullseye w/out even trying. The grip felt superb.
    I would be happy w/ either, but the HK grip was just soooooo good and was so easy to hit target w/out much effort.

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

My vote is for the FN….they make awesome pistols.

8. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

Very little muzzle flip compared to others. Gun is very accurate for me..I can carry mine no problem, its between a glock 17 and 19 size wise..Not as easy to break down as some, but its not a issue.

You have the option of decocker or manual safety which you can carry cocked and locked. Trigger is smoother with safety installed IMO..

Cool gun..Was my first CZ and has made me a fanboy for sure..Got a SP01 and a 75 compact since.

9. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

Do they still make the P7?

10. ton

ton Arf!

you didn't say "cheap", you said "for the price of an LCP" ;)

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I have it in .40, haven't fired more than a hundred rounds with it, but had a great feel for being a poly gun (I'm a Sig 226 fanboy :p ).

I especially like the decocker, makes transitioning between Sigs and the P-07 a mindless exercise. :up:

12. desmo2

desmo2 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

I've had a boner for one of these for a long time. But, I missed my window of opportunity about 20 years ago. Be prepared to shell out around $2,500 for one, now.

13. SpeedyE

:wow: srs?
    I love that gun....slim top end/slide for CCW comfort, squeeze-cock which imho is the safest handgun in the world, HK quality/reliability, lowest bore-axis of any handgun ever made, and it is a refined Gentleman's gun, not a run of the mill Glock/M&P/Flavor-of-the-month.....it is something special.

If that gun is truly that expensive, I am out of the game....I have a $700 credit, and could maybe chip in another $300 if I had to, but $2500 .... ughhhhh :(:(:(

14. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Yeah, those P7's are goin' for high dolla. Check gunbroker and gunsamerica for some of the asking prices :(

15. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Hk USP 9mm or .40. personally I carry a usp .40 daily. 13 in the mag, one in the pipe. stone cold accurate, and reliable. they make a compact version, if you want/need smaller size. Ski

16. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

I have the same gun. its the cats nips. I carry a G22 for work, G27 for CCW, but I would get the P30 with the LEM trigger. or a P2000sk so my USP mags would fit.

17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Plus it's only 13rds.

Hands down one of the best duty sidearms I've ever shot. I own a M8.

18. SpeedyE

In a LE situation, if a perp gets the officer's gun, he will not figure out how to fire it.....he will just fumble f w/ it until the offcier's backup gun comes out and ends it.
    imho, the HK M7/M8/M13's where the best guns ever made.....for so many different reasons.

19. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

In regards to your "LE situation". No.

Your concerns with "muzzle flip" can most likely be addressed with a proper grip and ammo that gets your desired penetration with the least amount of recoil.

20. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

Yes,

"High bore axis" is a nonsense issue, way overused by gun journalists...