1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

308: Can fire both .308 and 7.62 x 51
    7.62x51: Should only fire 7.62 x 51 based on the below due to higher pressures from the .308.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/308-winchester-vs-7-62x51mm-nato.html#:~:text=308-caliber bullet from very,headspace than 308 Winchester brass.

And since you didn't ask,

5.56 can fire both 5.56 and .223
    .223 should only fire .223
    Essentially for the same reason (higher pressures)

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

When you sight do you change from right eye to left eye according to trigger hand?

3. Nope, always use my left eye.

Which makes it a little awkward when shooting one-handed with my right hand. I either have to turn my head or bring my arm across my body a little.

That could also contribute to me shooting better with my left hand. It is a more natural reach/sight picture because of being left-eye dominant.

And when I say “left-eye dominant”, I mean that in the most literal sense. If I close my left eye, everything is blurry. During a standard eye exam using just my right eye, I will struggle to make out the big letter on top.

4. Sabre699

Well, being offset in vision one eye to the other would affect what I was questioning but I believe you have sorted it out as you do most things.

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

Optic or Iron Sights

6. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Eye dominance isn't so much about your eye's physical ability to focus - it's what your brain's preference is to provide the most information to the visual cortex and provide the picture of the world around you.

Here's an easy way to test eye dominance.

When I was big (I mean BIG) into shooting clays, there was more than one whacko who shot right handed while pushing his face over the comb of the stock to put his left eye into proper position.

Some guys couldn't do that and would instead, put tape over the eye opposite of the shooting hand. Both worked well enough to make them good competitors.

Try it out and see what works for you.

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

When riding, are you better at left turns or right? There may be a related hypothesis.

8. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say optic…he likes a dot even more than me.

9. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

ill show you bald....hold my beer

Steak Travis likes this.
  10. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Damn, 8 already? Nice!!!

Steak Travis likes this.
  11. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

maybe that lefty masterbation hand game is stronger than you thought?? :)

12. britx303

Finally!!!! A race I might be competitive in :D

fastfreddie likes this.
  13. britx303

Plan is to get a dumptruck or 2 of fill dirt for a few small jumps and a tabletop for the track. Then the sides of them will serve as dirt berm backstops for misc steel targets…………one principle at a time of course :D

CBRRRRR999 and sanee like this.
  14. Optics. Always. On everything.

15. Left turns, definitely. Especially long fast ones.

16. fastfreddie

That's a good principle, two birds with one bullet.

17. On an unrelated note, I can now highly suggest the S&W Competitor Metal.

D3692D4B-F25B-4BD1-9AF1-AC2E2680F56E.jpeg

I always give a “first impressions” type of review, but they are just that, my personal first impressions/opinion.

I won’t actually suggest a gun to someone else until I have well over 1000 rounds through it. Obviously reliability is super important.

I’ve now got well over 1k rounds through the Competitor with all different kinds of ammo, with 100% reliability. Not a single failure of any kind.

It has become one of my favs.

Great light trigger, short reset, light recoil, VERY accurate, good ergos, and comes with 4x 18 round mags, plus all the optic plates you need. On top of that, I can now say it is reliable.

Last edited: May 25, 2023
    Triple X likes this.
  18. fastfreddie

Okay. So the hypothesis goes something like this...
    You're right-handed. You don't go as fast to the right because, subconsciously, you favor protecting your strong side. Exposing your right side to that fast moving pavement is Danger! Danger!
    To extrapolate, guns are dangerous, m'kay. Your weak hand doesn't care about the danger as much as your strong hand. Sounds far fetched but the stretch is about as close as I can come to any reason for shooting better weak side.

FWIW. I'm also left eye dominant. Direct connection to the side of the brain that controls the right side of the body. In my mind, shooting is eye-to-hand so, no thoughts necessary. (I get the strange looks and questions at the range, too).
    As it has to do with handgun shooting, and me coming from a long gun background, I hold with my right arm across my chest and my left elbow is locked into my left side ribs. My support hand uses a cup hold. My right elbow is not extended/locked straight - bicep is locked onto pec. My torso sits square on my hips that are oblique to the target. The handgun is pretty much in my face. I do not shoot weak side using this stance unless I'm shooting around a barrier I can use as additional support.
    Single handed, either side, my arms are extended straight out 90º to the side and I lean into it, cheek on shoulder.
    Which side am I better with using a handgun? No idea, I'm a rifle guy. :D

CBRRRRR999 and Gorilla George like this.
  19. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Much like the difference between 5.56 and .223, it's primarily just chamber pressures. In the case of 7.62/.308, the inverse is true as compared to 5.56/.223. .308 is hotter than the 7.62 NATO round. That said, I don't think I've ever run across a gun that was limited to 7.62 due to chamber pressure (as opposed to some older .223 guns that can't run 5.56).

20. Sabre699

It's friggin' brown!