1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Any experience with Sons of Liberty? Apparently they are local based right here in San Antonio. Claimed hella quality control and an attractive price point.

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

My gun nut friend raves about them.

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  3. Damn I want a setup like that so bad. I could save the world multiple times a day.

But I also wouldn't want to have to drive 1-2hrs to the office every day.

Its too bad you can't shoot guns in the city.

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Build an indoor range in your basement/under the yard.

5. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

Question for the Red Dot shooters... Do you prefer 3 MOA or 6 MOA for competition handgun? Advantages / disadvantages of either?

6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Evidently not everyone got this memo.

Saiyan66, brex, noles19 and 2 others like this.
  7. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

The “gun free zone” signs weren’t put up yet.

Sabre699, Gorilla George and brex like this.
  8. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I’m actually right between Baltimore and DC, about 20 min each. We are in a watershed area that the zoning changed way back to keep the area more rural. I’ve had my friends call when they are at the restaurant/bar in town to see if it was me going through rounds. That’s one of the reasons I don’t over do it and most of what I shoot is canned.

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

AKs on the shelf in MD? Seriously? I thought that State was, you know,
    Smaller is better. Consider the axiom "Aim small, shoot small".

3-ish MOA is better for competition than 6MOA because you're looking to score points relative to the center. If your target is 50yds away and you're using a 3MOA dot, you're painting 1.5" of target. Is that one and a half inches dead center or are you a little off center? If you're off center, are you .75" off center? That could still be a bullseye. With the 6MOA you could be 1.5" off center, probably lose points, regularly.

When it comes to precision shooting with no time considerations like that in typical handgun competition, 1MOA would be even better.

There are drawbacks. Smaller dots can be difficult to acquire. That's why a carry gun with a dot should have a larger MOA dot, like 6-ish. You're not shooting for points, you're shooting to be the first on target. In order to be the first on target, all other things being equal, you first need to acquire the dot and, likely, you won't be shooting 50', much less 150'. It'll be more like 5'. At that range, a 6MOA dot paints about 1/8" of target but shows very readily in the optic. You'll shoot their eye out.

Approximations of dot size on target at 50':
    1MOA = 3/16"
    3MOA = 1/2"
    6MOA = 1"

10. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

On the shelf in Virginia

11. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

Thanks FF. Lots of information online which is more easily understood with your feedback.

12. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Yesterday, I learned signing up for a 3-Gun match is $5. Coming from sporting clays, that’s a bargain for targets alone. Never mind the $16k shotgun. :|

13. fastfreddie

Thanks for the props, I'm glad you got something out of it.
    Props for you, it seems you've come a long way in a short time - already thousands of rounds. Bravo!

To relate a story, I put a 7.5MOA dot on an eighteen inch shotgun and was dropping clays halfway to their apogee. Considering most guys I hang with were using 26"-30" barrels for that application and not getting their shots off until apogee, I am one of those guys that totally believes in dots. An 18" shotgun is for close quarters and needs to be fired ASAP to get effective hits on diminishing targets. At apogee, not a single hit, but I'm also one of those guys that can successfully shoot from the hip, if challenged - no sights needed.

As magnifying optics have their forte, so do dots if you think of them in an inverse manner - the smaller the dot, the more precise the POA (Point Of Aim).

I've been shooting dots for decades on everything and there is no sight I'm aware of that makes a human quicker on target.
    I haven't shot lasers, and good luck getting on a moving target with no background. Aside from that, I imagine it would be the same situation as dots - as soon as it paints, squeeze. You can't miss.

Ever see the movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid? This scene shows the type of shooter you can become when using red dots. :D

scottn likes this.
  14. fastfreddie

When does GG want it back? :crackup:

15. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

I buy directly from them. I got my LPVO and red dot setup for my recce build directly from them, saleman named Chris. Couple emails back and forth, paid them directly and shipped from Sig

though I did not buy a firearm from them

Last edited: May 16, 2023
  16. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I bought this one a few years ago so I could shoot by myself. Runs off a 12v battery that I just keep on a charger. The remote is easy to use and it has never failed me. It takes a second to understand the set up but not rocket science, just follow the instructions. I'll never go back to manual.
    https://www.championtarget.com/all-products-2/wheelybird-auto-feed-trap/CH-40909.html

britx303 likes this.
  17. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

I have the same, and it is the cat's ass! I'm thinking of getting the wobbler attachment, to vary point of throw.

dobr24 likes this.
  18. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Picked up a P365 X-Macro Tacops today and added a Holosun 507k. While there decided to grab a P322 for some suppressed practice in the yard.

Gorilla George likes this.
  19. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Typically very good stuff that's built to last. Good QC (which some other companies seem to be lacking these days) but they got really popular about 1-2 years ago so their stuff is hard to find now. I've got one of their uppers and rails and it's nice. I talked to the guys there at SHOT a few years ago and they were a laugh to talk to, they were having fun (guessing it was 3 years ago right when they were starting to get "popular"). Nothing fancy or different just built to last with well sorted parts. That's what you want it a good rifle.

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member