1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

welcome to the asylum... (if you have multiple Dead Air suppressors, you can join "the asylum" and get some cool swag from them, info on their website)

Gorilla George likes this.
  2. Shit that’s cool. Thanks

3. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

My Man!!!

I shot my XTen last night. I think you’re going to want one. I’m a fan.

My P227 didn’t compare.

4. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

Joining this thread at post 12,624 and my guess is somewhere in the preceding 12623 posts there are recommendations for handguns for a first-time gun owner. I'd like to save some time by not having to read all of the previous posts and will appreciate any recommendations The primary use will be range shooting. Would prefer a firearm that doesn't require an above average amount of cleaning.

Thanks

5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Glock 44, if your a new shooter and it’s just for the range. My $.02

6. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

With a Glock 44, a new shooter would get ample training on clearing malfunctions, that's for sure :)

britx303 likes this.
  7. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Shot the black hawk 44 today, I caved and installed the hogue grip, not bad at all with federal 240 grain flat points, only fired 50 rounds but recoil was not a factor.

Sabre699 likes this.
  8. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

go to a range.
    rent a bunch that are both striker fired and hammer fired.
    Figure out what you like based on ergnomics.
    Then go buy that.

vfrket, Sabre699, RonR and 1 other person like this.
  9. Gigantor24

Gigantor24 Member

Renting a few to try out is a excellent idea as Jedb stated.. Find a really good shop/range that can help you out if needed.

I'd vote a g19/g17 or a HK VP9 should be top contenders

10. Damnit when I was in there I knew there was something I was supposed to look for. I got distracted by the Rival.

Now imma have to go back.

11. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

@S Tsotsoros I was gonna respond but this fella pretty much took the exact words out of my mouth. Blindly, I'd recommend the exact guns he did but really, you should just go try a bunch first and figure out what works best for you.

S Tsotsoros likes this.
  12. Do you plan on carrying it (EDC)? Or just for range and home defense?

If you plan on carrying it, the suggestions will be a lot different.

For home defense, I’d say Canik TP9, Walther PDP, Glock 17/19, Sig P320, Springfield XD-M Elite, FN 509, or HK VP9.

You can’t really go wrong with any of those.

13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

TL/DR
    Edited for brevity
    :D

14. Or that. :D

15. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Lots of great info so far I’ll just add one of my favorite range guns back when was a Ruger gp100 357 revolver. For a first pistol a wheel gun is not a bad choice. Try to stick with a brand that’s highly recommended regardless of price. A good firearm will be passed down through generations.

16. A cheap alternative is the Ruger Security-9.

It’s a striker fired 9mm (17rnd capacity IIRC). It has good ergos and shoots very well, and it was only $200-something.

It’s been a long time since I bought it, so I’m not sure exactly. But I know it was under $300.

S Tsotsoros likes this.
  17. StaccatoFan

Put a Holosun 507c red dot on that Rival. Once that is zeroed. You’ll love how accurate that package is.

18. StaccatoFan

Yes Sir!!!!

19. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I know 22 pistols can be finicky, but I thought the g44 was a decent one. I spent the day with a loaner one training with some folks and it ran 100% and a few hundred rounds that day. Everybody at that school was given them. But yeah……..new shooters gotta learn how to deal with malfunctions :D Ok fine………Tso get a hipoint:p