I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I know lol. Need to wrap my hand around one before rendering a verdict. Been eying a polymer carry .45 for some time. Can't find an HK .45 Compact to grasp and I'm betting Glock will make plenty of these to go around.

2. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

Going to check out the Sig 1911-22 and M&P 22 today. Need something a little cheaper to run rounds through. Especially when I take my wife out. Gets to expensive all the time

3. Racer45

Alright, on to looking at carry guns. I'm looking at the XDS, Shield and LC9. Who has what and likes/dislikes?

4. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I have a shield 9mm ,xds,cm9.But I wanted something a little smaller so I could front pocket carry .I ended up with a kahr p380. If you are going to iwb carry the all are good guns.

5. Racer45

I've checked out the Kahr's too (cw9/40). The LC is the only one I haven't shot yet. I really like the size and shape of the Shield and XDS

6. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

The Sig 1911-22 is a GSG-1911-22 its the same gun buy the cheaper one. There are companies that make upgrades for them. CW and ZR tactical. I have one and its a bit ammo finicky but I bought it so my wife who has a EMP 9mm could learn to use a 1911 style gun cheaper. So a few issue helps her learning, I even greased with a thick grease one day so it would have issues and she would learn to deal with them.

At mag 40 class she had a issue with her EMP9mm(first one with the gun and it was dirty) and she tapped and racked it like a pro and went right back to shooting. Massad was just over her shoulder ready to help and just backed away with a smile. Made me proud!

7. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I think the shield is a little more tame than the xds (recoil) but it is a 9mm compared to a 45.But the recoil is not that bad on the xds.Springfield does have plans for a 9mm xds.

8. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

I carry a 380 bodyguard pretty regularly. If your looking for a real small 9mm look at the diamondback.

9. bigkaley

bigkaley Well-Known Member

I have a Shield .40, and a buddy has an XDs. They're basically identical in size. I went with the Shield .40 because I already had an XDM .40. I think the XDs actually shoots a little nicer first time out, but I'm getting better with my Shield the more I shoot it. Also, FWIW, I have really big hands... my pinkie finger is completely off and half my ring finger is off with the shorter mag of the Shield.
    Depending on what other handguns/ caliber you have may help dictate which to go with...

10. Bob750

Bob750 Active Member

I shot both the Shield in 9mm and the XDS in .45 last december when I was looking. I thought the Shield shot fantastically but the XDS fit my hand better. I ended up purchasing the XDS for the fit and the larger caliber since both had smaller mag capacities.

After purchasing the XDS I found that the seven round mag stuck out the bottom way to far for my liking so I ended up only using five round mags with a Pearce Grips floor plate extension. http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/Springfield Armory/PG-XDS

It just adds a little wedge on the bottom of the grip for my pinkie to rest on.

11. Mille R

Mille R Well-Known Member

12. Racer45

I am leaning more towards the XDS and Shield as of now. Decisions decisions :D

13. Mille R

Mille R Well-Known Member

You should learn towards what you can get :)

14. Racer45

well the Shield will be strictly order. A few shops by me have been getting the XDS in quite a bit but sell very fast. A mile from my office had 5 the other day and are gone now. LC9 I haven't seen in about a month

15. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Walther PPS is another good single stack 9mm, about the same size as the Shield and XD.

16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I bought an XD9 in FDE a few weeks ago just before taking a CCW class. Really liked it, by the end of the day I was shooting at the head for more of a challenge. At 10 yards I was shooting at the numbers on the target rings and hitting them.

17. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

I really like the LC9, but it seems that Ruger is having difficulty filling all the orders. If you see one, buy it!

18. Racer45

I have an XD9 with the 4" barrel also. Love it

19. Racer45

same thing with the Shield. I see them, but they sell in 5 minutes. A friends buddy just sold his Shield 9 with 3 mags for more than msrp

20. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

My area is practically cleaned out of any decent semi-auto, and many good revolvers. Some dealers have just stopped doing waiting lists because it's too much a hassle when you can barely put it in the case before someone snaps it up on the spot. Especially with the Shields and XDs.