I bought a $5 Vespa yesterday

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Jul 1, 2023.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yeah but, would you look like this?:D

[​IMG]

Shenanigans likes this.
  2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Yeah, uhm, you don't get it.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Can someone photoshop a big ol’ beard on that photo so I can see if I can pull off the look? ;)

KneeDragger_c69 and rd400racer like this.
  4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The rest of the pic looks fake as hell, so why not a beard?

5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Here's the real deal ...

[​IMG]

6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Oh, and rent this movie for a great family night at home ... starring one of my favorites of all time* ...

[​IMG]

upload_2023-7-2_21-46-51.png

* -
    No, not Eddie Albert!

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

They're like Harleys. People who want a Vespa ... want a Vespa.

cha0s#242 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

How will you keep your dress from blowing up from the wind?

9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Why would I want to?

10. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I get it perfectly fine. I've owned both and a fleet of Ducatis. I wasn't replying to the OP and his daughter, I was replying to the guy that wants a scooter for quick trips to the store. A Zuma is a far better choice, unless getting dirt under your nails coughing a 50 year old Italian machine to life is your idea of a fun time included in your quick trip.
    Vespas are incredibly cool little scoots, just not on par with modern stuff in reliability.

11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Vintage shit don't need no stinkin' reliability.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  12. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I have a high school friend who's remarried to another Vespa enthusiast. I met them on their ride back to PA from the Vespa rally in southern CA. somewhere, a few years before the pandemic. They were on 250's and had a spare tire on one of the bikes, but hadn't encountered any major issues other than routine maintenance on their trip out, and half way back. He never expressed an interest in bikes in school, and we hung out a lot.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

With the sidecar you could sell it all for bank. I’d sell off the sidecar, get the engine and running gear all squared away and leave the paint as is and ride the f outta it. :up:

14. Sabre699

:eek: Didn't realize what it was actually worth.

15. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're worth a good bit, and this one with the sidecar and low usage may set a record if it ever makes it to the open market.

16. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Keep that Vespa, buy a more used one of the same vintage. Start showing the low miles one around the Vespa community and get a feel for the demand. It seems a perfect barn find that collectors would go batshit crazy for. Profit off that puppy and kick a few bucks back to the original seller for karma's sake.

That similar one on BAT that sold for 24k had 2600 miles on it when sold. 50 miles. Effin hell.

https://www.classic.com/veh/1964-vespa-vbb-150-wsidecar-vbbt175715-pJad5VW/

17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I don't think it's that special of a machine. The guy I got it from is very well off, and he said they had it shipped from India. Doing some research I found that quite a few were built there in the same era as this bike. Even if it is worth something, as far as my daughter is concerned it's priceless to her.

Shenanigans, MachineR1 and Sabre699 like this.
  18. Jed

Jed mellifluous

All us fathers are suckers for our daughters.

Sabre699 and rd400racer like this.
  19. Sabre699

20. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Screw that. The world has enough garage queens and “investment pieces.” Fix it up, run it, enjoy it. Life’s too short to do anything else.