1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurricane Irma

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Sitting out on my front porch with a Coleman lantern. The wind finally died down and we had a bluebird blue sky. Absolutely beautiful afternoon.

But nobody has power and the night is stupid quiet. I mean BLACK! Weird.

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

3. cdog

cdog Active Member

4. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I'm shocked as hell, after a 39 1/4 hour slog at work keeping the lights on via our 11 meg backup power system I drove home after Duke Energy got one of our dual utility feeds working.

It was an eerie drive home to the islands, Clearwater/Largo road was blocked by police at West Bay so I diverted west and crossed over to the barrier islands and headed south on Gulf blvd. Belleair, Indian rocks, Redington were mostly dark. Into Madeira Beach which was lit up and looking mostly powered but a weird vibe with little traffic. Onto Treasure Island, sporadic lighting until about 107 seventh Ave/Central blvd and than completely dark the rest of the way, one car in Sunset Beach, an unmarked police care cruising the streets with flashers on silently, probably keeping an eye out for potential looters. Jet black otherwise painted with a dark starlit sky.
    Found the boat safe and sound, no roof or water damage, just lots of debris for cleanup.

The shocking part? Duke got the power back on at 2:52 am, I got up, got the a/c on and closed the windows.

Just another story to share amongst friends at the Ka'Tiki. Island life...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Sometimes good things happen to bad people!:D
    That is great that you came out of the storm relatively unscathed. It is good to hear some positive stories coming out of the area too. My friends in the Houston area are batting about .500 for flooded / not flooded...
    Good luck to all who have to dig out of the mess.

caferace, R Acree and pickled egg like this.
  6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Sitting here in Orlando watching mold grow on wet carpet

7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Got word last night that my up for sale house in Oviedo sustained no damage. My luck does not usually run that way. . No power, but not being there doesn't matter. We actually had a house showing on Saturday. People are crazy!

8. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Dammit man!

10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

11. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

How's the RV?

12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

any word from fire/disaster restoration companies ? as omatter said, being independently owned, some from same franchise will be better than others. there are independent firms too though..

13. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Left lots of messages but not able to get anyone on site yet.

RV did fine and is sitting in the driveway so we have access and hot water. If it weren't for the water damage I would have nothing to complain about

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well run some cords from the rv genset and fire up the shop vac followed by any fans you have (the squirrel cage ones from Home Depot kick ass). If it came between the baseplate and the slab you shouldn't have any mold in the walls. Should be pretty easy to get the house dry, just takes some time.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FWIW - that's all the companies like Serv-Pro will do. Suck up the water, fire up fans and dehumidifiers.

Newsshooter, dobr24 and BigBird like this.
  16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

And then charge you enough that you could have bought your own fans, vacuums and dehumidifiers.

caferace, dobr24, auminer and 2 others like this.
  17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

On second thought you could probably remove and replace the carpet for less.

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

If you file a claim the insurance pays for mitigation. At least that's how it worked when I was an adjuster.

If it's a covered loss of course.

19. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Dude if you need tools/nails/etc hit me up on your way down, I'd be like a 15 minute detour. I'm in Kenosha.

20. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Thanks bro. I'll let you know.