How to break your scapula

Discussion in 'General' started by onepusher, Sep 13, 2012.

1. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

engineering degree or not... did you not say that the fact the bike turned left indicated a failure in the left caliper?

Then you don't agree with what i said :confused:

Off topic, I cant count how many times in MY job engineers have said their models and computer said something was impossible, yet it was currently WORKING the impossible way on the machines or whatever I was working on. Engineers are funny :crackup:

2. vrc

vrc Well-Known Member

My first reply was leaded by a question mark to the OP. he said it was his throttle. Hes never said he checked for any kind of mechanical brake failure.
    Based on the video i watched, that was my opinion.

3. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Ok.

Lets make some assumptions.

Lets assume his throttle DID stick.

Lets assume the left caliper DID lock up mechanically (failure)

In your engineer opinion, would that make the bike turn left?

back to non assumption land.....

now what in the video led you to speculate left caliper?
    Im not sure you are grasping my dumbfoundedness (made up word :D) at your reply

4. vrc

vrc Well-Known Member

In my second response, i stated it was a guess as well. Thanks to you, i now know its impossible. Lol

5. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Not thanks to that engineering degree? :Poke::Poke::Poke:

:D :beer:

6. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

The front wheel could have been in the air (tire off ground). You braked and with no resistance, due to your front tire freewheeling, the pressure on your lever was way more that usual. Your front tire finally touched down on the pavement with the front brake fully locked and whammmo.

You landed a wheelie with your front brake locked....so to speak.

7. scott65

scott65 Well-Known Member

this ^^^:stupid:

8. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

This doesn't look like rear wheel traction loss, it seems to me like very obvious front wheel traction loss. You dont fall the way he did with rear traction loss, it was way too sudden, like he was braking in the rain and the front wheel just locked. If it was the rear, you usually go sideways first then crash, not just instantly go down (in a rear slide the front still has traction, the rear loses traction then goes sideways while the front still grips). If you go instantly down, this can only be caused by losing the front. You can't always tell from a single video, just speculation really, it also looks like it could have been oil. He was basically straight up and down when this happened, my guess is mechanical failure, or oil on the track. Either way this is a very eery crash, I would be so paranoid to ride that bike again without finding out what happened.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  9. scott65

scott65 Well-Known Member

The front wheel does not have to be locked to cause this. Just enough lever
    pressure to slow the front down, while being very light (just off the ground or very close, and still on power). The bike is still going x speed, while the front
    is less.

10. joec

joec brace yourself

if watch, you can hear the limiter bouncing before the bike hits the ground. now...i realize it might be his hand on the gas.....but fact is....its revving like piss before it really takes a hit. and it falls on the left side. not the throttle side. i guess its close enough to 4 to be on the brakes. hard to tell from the leisurely pace.

11. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Yea, definatly wierd. Have you had a chance to look at the bike at all? Problem is its hard to find exactly what went wrong on a bike that throws itself down the road. I'd have to agree it seems the front washed out really quickly and it seems you were still rolling on the throttle. Almost seems like a brake issue to me as well I guess, dunno what else would make the front end wash out so suddenly, you werent in a corner, you werent really leaned over at all, even if your tire was in the air a bit so what, that is unless your front end was fighting you.

12. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Zombies.

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

Dude

14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Been there, done that....compression fractures suck!

I haven't been back to Slippery Point since!!! LOL!

15. onepusher

onepusher Socially Inappropriate

Yes?

16. Dano711

Dano711 Well-Known Member

How do you know it was a mechanical?

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Didn't sound like the throttle stuck, sounded like it was pulled back after the crash began, which would follow if he hung on for a second or two. I would suspect either something on the track or possibly front brakes binding suddenly. Maybe water in the brake fluid? Although I suspect you'd feel that coming on, but I've seen it cause crashes before.

18. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Going with that theory (which I buy as well), I have to ask the OP, did you possibly mount chinese knockoff brake levers? I have seen them cause front brake lockup after a few laps and crash

19. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

:stupid:

I think it would be cool if we had an emoticon that said "I'm with the very intelligent poster above"

20. onepusher

onepusher Socially Inappropriate

I'm all too aware of cheap brake levers causing front brake lock. This bike has brembo master cylinder along with brembo calipers. Just installed new pads with 1 race weekend on them. I don't feel it was brake related. Rider mistake? Possibly but I still feel it was a mechanical crash due to sticking throttle. The reason for me saying sticking throttle. I turned the front all the way to left lock and the throttle tube didn't snap closed all the way. Straighten the front and throttle snapped shut.