1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda Ridgeline

Discussion in 'General' started by jdhaasjr, May 13, 2011.

1. G.Rand

G.Rand Well-Known Member

I had a 2009 Gen 1 Ridgeline ..... and liked it enough to buy a 2017 Ridgeline when the Gen 2 came out. The only issues I've had with them is a bad AC relay in the Gen 1. My 2017 is an RTL-E model, so it's AWD and loaded with more options than I could ever use. I've had Chevys, Fords, and have even had the Escalade truck ---- so far, the Ridgeline has been the best of the bunch for me.

BigBird, cha0s#242 and rd400racer like this.
  2. Jim

Jim Know your grids...

Went on a road trip with a friend. Honda was fine...but every time it was my turn to drive It felt and sounded like I was driving a hollow beer can.

3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Having the 9 gear tranny means you get the button shifter, instead of the shift knob like with the 6 speed. I preferred moving something manually than having a button to press as it's not as instantaneous. Other than that, I think the new 9 gear accelerates harder and is marginally better on gas.

rd400racer likes this.
  4. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

With any Honda equipped with VCM, you might want to consider "muzzling" it...

sharkattack likes this.
  5. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Just a heads up for all the Avalanche fanbois - 2013 was the last year that they were made, so any one you find is going to be coming on a decade old and they sell for a premium.

With that said, I just picked up a 2011 Avalanche this past summer and it is quite possibly the best all around vehicle I've owned. I needed something comfortable enough to run 700 mile round trips every weekend up north with the wife and two dogs, be able to tow a snowmobile trailer, be used like a truck sometimes, but definitely not all the time, and be civil enough to tote 4 adults around in comfort. The water tight bed and side compartments are awesome. For the life of me I can't figure out why GM dumped this model.

6. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Because it was expensive as hell new and most people bought a normal comparably spec'd silverado for $10k less.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  7. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I suppose. It really should be compared to a Suburban since that's the platform that they're built from. I went from a 2011 Silverado to 2011 Avalanche. Night and difference.

8. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Yep! I have the SVCM on my 2009 Pilot. From my research, the SVCM is by far the best and most popular VCM delete device out there. It's a true plug-n-play device; nothing to change as the seasons change (unlike some of the VCM delete devices out there.)

9. cha0s#242

Please explain, I have no idea what you are talking about. Thanks.
    edit : just found out what vcm is. Why would someone want to delete this functionality ?

chobes likes this.
  10. Greg ZX6R

Greg ZX6R Well-Known Member

Some of the VCM systems were causing the engines to use "more than normal" amounts of oil, and some people claim that the system can cause noticeable vibrations, sometimes to leading to premature wearing of the active engine mounts.

11. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Excess oil consumption, damage to rings. Honda settled several class action lawsuits against them by owners of VCM damaged vehicles by extending their warranties. It doesn't happen to all VCM vehicles, but it happened enough for Honda to take notice. When it shifts in and out of ECO mode, i.e. VCM mode, you can feel a "thunk." Since I put the SVCM on my Pilot, I have a V6 all the time. It's a lot smoother. Just look in the Honda Pilot/Ridgeline/Odyssey groups on Facebook. You'll see lots of owners that have deleted the VCM, some after suffering $$$$ damage.

12. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I actually had the rare 3/4 ton Avalanche at one point with the 8.1 liter big block in it. Was one of my favorite vehicles ever. The gas mileage probably directly boosted Broome's 401k though.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    tony 340 and Sprinky like this.
  13. cha0s#242

I've never felt it "kick in" on my 2020.

14. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

VCM is a problem on chevy v8's as well.

ducnut likes this.
  15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Nah...Fake news. Its all fine.

After you spend a few weekends removing the whole top of the motor (intake, heads, etc) and a few grand to replace the lifters, springs, cam, etc. No worries...:mad:

chobes likes this.
  16. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

The new Ford Maverick kind of looks like a competitor to the Ridgeline. Kinda like it.

17. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

One of my dads buddies had one and loved it, other than the gas guzzling

18. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Sort of. The Maverick is quite a bit smaller than the Ridgeline. It's almost an actual small truck. The thought of getting 40 mpg and being able to tow a small trailer (not at the same time, obviously) kinda has me rethinking my devotion to my 12-year-old 210,000 mile Rav4.

19. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I was thinking the Maverick would be great to make errand runs around town, and haul a couple bicycles when I wanna hit the B&A or BWI trail or just a nice around town commuter.

I got the diesel for towing, and as much as I love it and love driving it, it's generally not parking lot practical...however, I must say the job I just started is in a VERY awesome parking situation.

20. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Most the goofball origami stuff on teh Avalanche is on the newest Silverado, right?