1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda Ridgeline

Discussion in 'General' started by jdhaasjr, May 13, 2011.

1. jdhaasjr

jdhaasjr Trackday junkie

I am considering buying a Honda Ridgeline. Anyone have any experience with this vehicle? What is the good and the bad on this vehicle? I like the fact it has four doors and seats five. I do not do much towing other than my open trailer for track days and an occasional trip to the Home Depot for lumber etc. What say ye all knowing board.

2. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

The power mirror actuators are complete crap, but they usually always fail within the warranty. When the driver seat/steering wheel position stops saving, they've gone bad.

Other then that, they're pretty good trucks. Do your maintenance when needed and it'll out last you.

3. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

4. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

The wife had an 06. Very comfortable, does everything pretty good. Terrible gas mileage. Its bigger than it looks, that's why she got rid of it, she could not park the friggin thing.

5. chastain11

chastain11 Well-Known Member

Business partner has had two. He says he'd buy another. Pretty good truck/car in my opinion too. Kinda makes me want to plant a tree though.

6. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

like anything else built today......all parts supplied by the lowest bidder :)

should be fine for what your doing, d-swens has one, he likes it

7. Get an Avalanche instead. More seating capacity, more towing capacity, more storage capacity, covered/secured bed when you need it, open bed when you don't and it doesn't look quite as candy ass. :D

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Javelin Broderick's family has one and uses it to tow their trailer to all the races. Maybe he will chime in.

9. Boman Forklift

Well, I own a Chevy truck and a Honda Civic, different models, but the Honda doesn't seem to have the silly nagging problems the Chevy has. Like ABS lights coming on, a dash that works and then stops working, a blower that basically only works in position 5.

10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

for your needs, it sounds fine.

I'd go with an Explorer SportTrac over the ridgeline, I think, but that's more because I had such great luck with my ranger. I believe the newer SportTracs only came with a V8. Used models can be found w/ the V6 though.

11. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

I know a few guys now who've had that problem with their chevy trucks. it's too bad because it's one small, simple problem, but couldn't be more annoying to your driving experience. One guy was able to reset it often by snapping the switch quickly from off to full on, it confused the system and caused it to reset. Another had no luck with that trick.

12. Luck of the draw. My sister had an '04 Accord and it had tons of nagging problems from day 1. She finally got fed up with it, traded it in on a new Malibu and couldn't be happier.

But like I said, it is luck of the draw. All of these things are man made. I have never bought into brand-loyalty (with vehicles or bikes). For every person that has a Suzuki who has been a POS, there is somebody who has one that has been perfect. Same thing with Ford vs Chevy etc.

13. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

My wife drives a 2008 and loves it. We bought it used with 8000 miles on it with a full 100K honda used car warranty.

Love the trunk that locks with the doors. We have a hard tonneau cover.

Because its front wheel drive/all wheel drive its great in the winter.

I get 18-19mpg when I pull dirt bikes on a trailer with it but the wife averages 16ish cause she is a lead foot.

14. Brutus

Brutus Well-Known Member

I have a Ridgeline with 70K and I love it! It rides GREAT with the stock Michellins (which seem to last forever). Engine pulls strong enough for my needs. Good on gas use. I commute with mine. For the track, I can load it up with everything I need. Bike fits perfectly with the tailgate down. The compartment in the bed is big/great and hasn't leaked at all. I will drive it until the wheels fall off.

Only weak point to me is body integrity - the metal can dent a little easier than other trucks.

15. Boman Forklift

Hmmm....I will give it a try. Thanks. I had a mini cooper that the power window quit working on. Went to the internet and read that you could smack the door panel with your hand above the speaker and it would work. Had to do that 2x over the next 4 years of ownership. Made a nagging problem manageable for no $$$$.

16. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

The driver's side window on my Titan is just like that. I quit rolling the window down because it got to the point where I thought I was going to damage the door panel with my fist.

17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

It's a blower motor resistor under the blower cover, under the glovebox. It has 2 screws and a wiring harness connected to it. On some years, the wiring went bad, others the resistor went bad (rust)The dealer wanted about $80 for the resistor, some autoparts stores carry it for around $35, not all stores carry it...got mine at Big A auto. Don't buy the pigtail if it's bad, it's $120, I just wired mine direct with wirenuts..hope this helps.:up:

18. MES Racing

MES Racing Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine had a Ridgeline. When he got rid of it, his comment was ... I decided to get real truck.

19. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

Unibody, transverse V6, decent ride and handling. Not too hard to hard to figure out it isn't a real truck. For everyday stuff its a great vehicle if you don't want an SUV.

20. G.Rand

G.Rand Well-Known Member

I bought a 2009 Ridgeline and absolutely love it. I don't think that it is the coolest looking truck of choice, but the options and utilitarian design makes it a very useful vehicle that gets pretty decent gas mileage. I tow a trailer with it, too, and the towing power is very good. The storage trunk under the bed of the truck is surprisingly large.
    The only complaint that I have is that the truck bed covers that i have seen offered for this model are all kinda lame. I ended up buying the OEM Honda hard cover and am disappointed at how "limiting" it is when using it -- only half of the cover folds open, the other half is stationary and doesn't move, so it can be a pain in the ass to work with at times.
    The biggest plusses are: the rear seats fold up very easily to create a lot of interior storage room, the rear tailgate folds open like a traditional truck bed OR opens like a hinged door -- VERY convenient when loading something towards the front of the bed, and the Navigation/Stereo package is pretty good -- better than any of the other trucks I have seen. I've put 40K miles on my truck in 18 months, and haven't had a single problem with it. My experience has been GREAT with my Ridgeline, I highly recommend them.