GSXR 450 at Summit

Discussion in 'General' started by Matt399, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, in the formula based classes like Clubman. We'd allow a hand built from the ground up motor so one that is modified to that extent from something else is legal too.

Once it's down to 600 I allow it in the main class the bike was originally legal for but only the SB version.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Start doing that and all 4 cylinders are technically capable of being fired in the stock config too - at which point it's back to a 600. We have to be able to enforce it being a 450 and I'm not going to trust that only 3 are being used at any given time.

3. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

If all four pistons are going up and down isn't it still really a 600?

I mean in one turn it displaces 600cc, not 450 but 600.:rolleyes:

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

5. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

I was just thinking about this same thing but with a daytona 675. Kill one cylinder and you have a 450 twin that's skinny and light...

6. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that just be an Aprillia with an extra dead cylinder and some more weight? ;)

To the OP, Have you looked at the Ducati super mono design? it used a V-twin setup without the rear cylinder for balance. They use a yoke and a bob weight that holds the top of the rod from the missing cylinder. This gives you the balance you need without the pumping losses. You could fabricate a setup like this for the dead cylinder and eliminate the piston, it should greatly reduce the friction and pumping loss while maintaining the balance.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  7. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

true...

8. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

Hmmm... Big and heavy as a 600, with 450 power.....

Congrats, you built a new Katana. :p

9. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

Yes, that idea has been considered, along with a few other ones. Right now we're seeing what we can do using the K.I.S.S. principle; mostly because the whole point is to show it can be relatively inexpensive to do the conversion.

10. Matt399

A totally bad-ass sounding Katana that handles like it's on rails. :beer::D

11. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Some reed valves in place of the exhaust port could add some air box pressure but would be easy to see also cause the exhaust pipe would be removed(replaced with a airfilter) but that would so not be allowed. It would be under forced air intake like a super charger or a turbo only not nearly as efficient.

It could also be plumbed as a vacuum pump to cause a negative pressure on the crankcase like the prostock drag bikes. Then again I'm sure it would be disallowed in the tech inspection.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The compressor version for sure wouldn't fly. Negative pressure on the crankcase is fine in Superbike/Formula stuff.

13. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

This was the first thing that came to my mind, using that cylinder for forced induction, wish it could be legal!

14. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Cool project. It is a shame we have not seen a OEM 400cc in a very long time. A super trick, light, modern version would be the bees knees.
    I used to love reading about the grey market 400s and 250s way back when.

15. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

The dead cylinder doesn't pump oil out?

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Out where?

17. I met some guy from TN who does custom Ducati builds. He said he had just done or was doing a 900ss like this. Sounded like a really cool project.

18. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Out the intake or exhaust. Although the majority of oil control on a piston is handled by the oil ring assy, some oil control is done by the 2nd ring. Just wondering if the lack of compression (to seal that ring against the cylinder wall) has any negative impact on oil control. I remember reading about a dead cylinder project somebody else undertook, and oil pumping was an issue.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah, yeah that makes sense.

20. Matt399

That's not an issue as it's setup now, but we did run into an oil issue with another setup while experimenting. That's part of the reason we ended up running it pretty much stock. I'm not a mechanic and have only a basic knowledge of what's going on (which is why I leave the details to the expert), so I don't wanna get in a discussion that's over my head and look like a retard.;)