GSXR 450 at Summit

Discussion in 'General' started by Matt399, Jun 14, 2010.

1. blawar

blawar Active Member

That was sarcasm, since your intake will be sucking in exhaust gasses through the dead cylinder.

2. blawar

blawar Active Member

I was referring to firing order balance, not the rotating assembly. However I just gave it a second thought, the bearings should be fine because you arent spacing the firing events closer together.

3. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

Careful thought was put into firing order and which cylinder to kill. This isn't a backyard experiment by me, it's being done by a professional with a good reputation for building motorcycle race engines. It is an experiment nonetheless, and I'm sure we'll find some things that just plain don't work, but I'm pretty confident that balancing is not an issue.

4. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

Wouldn't the dead cylinder just be sucking in clean air and expelling it (and that really only because of the bit of vacuum down in the collector)?

5. oldbeginner

oldbeginner Well-Known Member

It not Clubman legal?

6. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

Aha, now I get your sarcasm.

Never mind.

7. Matt399

450cc is still too big for clubman so I asked about DSB and F2 and got approval. I think it'd be a good fit in LWT SB, but I went on what it should be legal for based on the rulebook. Having a "dead" cylinder is kind of a gray area in regards to how displacement is measured, which is why I asked before I brought it out.

8. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I love the idea but we dont allow any sleevedown or dead cylinder jobs on bikes. Again, cool idea though.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We don't either - well, til now. I want to see how it works out and there's no way to be sure unless you've got someone willing to try it.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Well-Known Member

11. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Hey Matt, are you bringing it out to Beaver this weekend?

12. leviathan

leviathan Well-Known Member

As for the exhaust ports. I think the NZ guys blocked up the exhaust ports for that reason.

Thanks for making a home for it Mongo.

13. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

do you guys allow sleeved down SV's? I thought there was a guy on here racing an SV600, but he may race with another org.

14. Matt399

Won't be making Beaver. I'm an AF Reservist flyer on active duty right now so my race schedule revolves around when I get sent on missions. I'm hoping to make at least a couple more rounds this year but that's up to Uncle Sam!

15. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

Just kill 2 and make it a 300 inline twin. :p

16. chrison600

chrison600 Well-Known Member

Since you're leaving all the internals there, what about a custom ignition/fuel map that fires a changing range of 3 cylinders? Kind of like a single cylinder cutout with that one cylinder actually changing with each crank revolution.

Just thinking...

17. Matt399

Thanks for the opportunity to try it out. As much as I'd like to sand bag in an attempt to get it allowed in the rule book, I promise you I was riding my ass off to get that 2nd place in DSB this weekend! :D

18. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

i thought we did too. i'm not going to mention who but i know of two guys for sure on sleeved down bikes just in my region. one in clubman and the other in LWT SB and F2. I'm not complaining because i dont think its giving them much advantage (if any). Granted they both run up front in their classes but they are both wicked fast anyways and i'm sure they'd be there even on "normal" bikes. Hell one of them is even a friend of mine. not arguing your point mongo just pointing out some observations.

19. WayneDangerous

WayneDangerous Well-Known Member

Nice work. I wish there was a new GSXR400 too. Good luck with the project.

20. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Only if launched from a very large catapult, seems like a very good use for them things now that you bring it up.