1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good bourbon?

Discussion in 'General' started by PistolPete, Nov 17, 2020.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've said many times in this thread, for value and taste nothing beats Old Fo 1910 or green label Weller. But I don't like hot proofs. I've yet to give anyone a sip of my two faves without them saying, damn, that's smooth! And at times this is people that don't even care for bourbon.

Dragginass, cav115 and 83BSA like this.
  2. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

My pocketbook loves the fact that even after trying a couple mid-higher end Bourbon's I always come back to Wild Turkey 101.

I'm no liquor snob but Buffalo Trace was my go to for years before that - also a cheap, yet good sipping bourbon IMO.

3. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Wild Turkey 101 is a great bourbon. Try Jim Beam Old Tub. Another great budget bourbon, $20/bottle, 100 proof and very tasty.

cpettit and younglion like this.
  4. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

2XO Tribute is a sweet bourbon pricy but man is it smooth.

5. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I’m currently at the Jim Beam institute conference at University of KY and there is no shortage of good bourbon here. Just drank some bottles in bond from Bardstown Bourbon Co and some wheated bourbon from Green River distilling. Both are excellent and affordable. There tons of good whisky out there if you can look past the overhyped shit people are overpaying for.
    04D99F9E-1D0E-4CA4-8EE3-90596FF30948.jpeg

R1Racer99 likes this.
  6. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Tell me you have the perfect job without telling me you have the perfect job! lol...

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

How can you expect me to believe that they make good whisky in Kentucky??!!

You ever tasted their jelly???? :Puke:

:D

bpro likes this.
  8. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Still on page one of this thread but drink alot of Bourbon.

Been on Bulliet for months, and Makers Mark. They are ok but have some bite to them.

Recently tried Buffalo Trace. Love it.

2 ounce Bourbon, .5 ounce simple syrup, 3-5 drops of bitters, orange peel slice for zest.... So good.

I was doing the old fashioned "Mix" from the store, but now just doing what is listed above.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  9. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

How about bring a sample to Roebling this weekend? I've still got a few Cuban Partagas if you want a smoke to go with it.

cpettit likes this.
  10. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

One more thing that drives what I buy is what Costco is selling. In California of course. I went to Costco in Washington state and had about a heart attack as Bulliet in Costco Washington was $56!

Bulliet 1.75 Liters $39.99
    Makers Mark 1.75 liters $39.99
    Buffalo Trace 1.0 Liter $27.99

Costco is like Sams Club.

socalrider likes this.
  11. rd400racer

Would love to but not prepped for it right now.

12. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Admittedly, I haven't read all 17 pages of this thread. However, I have to say I'm a fan of JD#7. Does that make me a low class, trailer trash kind of whiskey drinker? If so, I can handle that.

13. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Try a Manhattan, it's even better and less sugary. I use Bulliet Rye, bitters, cherry, same orange peel, but sweet vermouth instead of simple syrup. You can drink it out of a Martini Glass for extra hipsterness or to piss off @rwdfun

14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Just to keep things honest here, Bulliet Rye is not bourbon, it is a rye whiskey. It is good stuff, just not bourbon.

15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Duh....A manhattan IS made with rye, otherwise it's called a Bourbon manhattan....My same gripe is people who make a martini with vodka. It's actually a kangaroo, but that's kinda lame (as are it's drinkers) so they opt out and call it a martini. :Poke:

rd400racer and bpro like this.
  16. rd400racer

I always order a gin martini (3 olives, dry) and every time the server looks at me like I'm some kind of weirdo (that's besides the point:D).

17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I was just making sure folks realized the thread was drifting out of "Good bourbon" territory and into "whiskey mixed drinks" territory, but now that I think about it, that is a much smaller drift off topic than we normally get on the here. Of course, now we have branched into vodka and gin as well.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Shiiiiit, you should be glad they're not argue over their favorite soup by now.

19. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Progresso Italian sausage and potato.

20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I didn't know this, but it's a moot point as I hate anything with vermouth in it. And I hate gin. So I'll stick with old fashionds and cosmos