1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garth is it pre emergent weed n feed time yet?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave Wolfe, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

I was too late last yr.

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

What happened to Garth ? He left awhile ago then was back and he's been gone again for months.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  3. Dave Wolfe

Hope he's alright now that you mention it

4. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

King green did a pre emergent a day or two ago.

I just had weeds pop up and gotta hold back the HOA and they are pretty cheap. Found out they had been working on my yard with the last owner and the yard looked great when I bought it

5. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Paging, @ducnut .... Usually I wait, until the snow is gone, and the soil temp (3-4" down), is 50 degrees, for approx 3 days consecutively. but, you can put it on earlier. I am bummed my local SiteOne stopped selling the Proscape with Confront and Dimension together. now, I dont know what I am going to do. Ski

ducnut likes this.
  6. Dave Wolfe

You think Ive got the patience and motivation to look at my soil temp?? NOOO!!!! Thats why Im asking my neighbor 2 hrs west in Des Moines.

7. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Still a bit early up here....

Steeltoe, BigBird, Sabre699 and 3 others like this.
  8. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Crabgrass germinates at 55 degrees, so wait until it’s close to that. It’s not complicated, I stick a $5 meat thermometer in the soil and check it each day until it’s between 50 and 55.

I was going to ask ducnut a similar question, but I spray Prodiamine instead of spreading fertilizer/pre-emergent. My question for him when he gets here: is that Lebanon product you like so much superior in any way to spraying Prodiamine and following up with a good fertilizer?

9. skidooboy

BigBird and code3ryder like this.
  10. Dave Wolfe

11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

@Dave Wolfe I’d get on it, now. When people wait for warmth, seeds usually have already germinated. The sun warms the soil just enough and there’s heavy moisture, so seeds pop really quick. You have to be ahead of it. That’s where the Lebanon product was so good, because it was pre- and post-.

@R1Racer99 The Lebanon granular is far superior. It’s one application and a done deal.

12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

13. skidooboy

14. ChemGuy

Oooh I remember that thread. Thanks. This one is not listed online in my area...but IN and MI arent listed as not available states so maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks,

ducnut likes this.
  15. skidooboy

I believe, you are in Michigan, correct? My local SiteOne didnt have any orders for it, I usually take their overage. If you find a place, let me know, I would be in for 7-8 bags. appreciate the thought/help. Ski

16. ChemGuy

Yeah in in SW Michigan. If I find some Ill let you know.

skidooboy likes this.
  17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Yep. The link “Ski” posted is the one you want.

Very light on the drop rate. Don’t follow the bag. 2/3 of the recommended rate for your spreader is plenty. You don’t need a lot to be effective.

Don’t get it on ornamentals. Use a drop spreader at 1/3 drop rate, along beds, at least 4’ out. Use a broadcast spreader for the rest of the yard. Do NOT overlap your spread paths. That will effectively double the application in that area and kill your grass for at least a year.

It’s nasty stuff you really need to be careful about using. It’s best to apply it right before a rain, so it quickly dissolves and gets below the surface.

Don’t breathe the dust. Don’t spread during any kind of wind, as the dust will kill ornamentals.

Use some type of rubber glove, so it’s not directly contacting your skin. Immediately wash your clothes (separately) and grab a shower.

Yes. Check your local store.

The inability to buy this stuff online should be your indicator of how nasty the stuff is. Just be conscious of how you’re handling it, like any chemicals.

ChemGuy likes this.
  18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Check Springfield, IL, or Champaign, IL, if you guys ever get into either area.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

I'm guess this can't be good for the wildlife, much less humans

20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Probably better than glyphosate and whatever other carcinogens are being used on human food sources. And, golf courses are far worse for the environment and humans than the odd homeowner actually taking care of their yard.

long path/road likes this.