1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garth is it pre emergent weed n feed time yet?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave Wolfe, Mar 4, 2023.

1. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Not related to the fertilizer, but I finally had enough of my front lawn and killed it off this year. Every neighbor that walked by would stare at my dead ass white lawn looking confused, but it’s finally starting to germinate and look like actual grass again.

I went with a bluegrass blend so it takes a while, but at least it will be consistent instead of having a bunch of random shit in it like before. Only issue is that I didn’t spray Tenacity at seeding so there’s a shit-ton of weeds from the dirt I added. Can’t wait to kill that off and have a lawn again. It’s a huge waste of money but I want nice grass god damn it.

BigBird and ducnut like this.
  2. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

No licience however it’s not supposed to be used on turf grass around your house. It is pretty amazing stuff. The Texas A&M guys who came out to do a pasture review here were taking pictures of the stuff it killed. A lot of ranchers use it here but with 80-20. You need to use it with an MSO. (methylated seed oil) Once the weeds are dead the grass goes nuts. With 6 different species here we have forage for cattle for a large part of the growing season.

ducnut likes this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Just having a single grass type goes a long way toward having a yard that simply looks nice. It offers a uniform texture, which is pleasing to the eye. With your climate, keeping it nice will be easy.

BigBird and R1Racer99 like this.
  4. karls

karls Well-Known Member

Are Preen products any good? Don't have a Site One Landscape Supply near by and the Tractor Supply carry's Preen, Green View and Ground Work products. - Thanks

Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Site One’s Treflan is the Preen equivalent and a fraction of the price. If you’ve got a location even remotely close where you can do something else in the same trip, it’s worth it. Otherwise, Preen is the way.

What exactly are you doing?

6. karls

karls Well-Known Member

Existing yard, trying to learn how to care for the lawn in the central valley, weeds. Moved here about a year ago, nice lawn, no weeds. Tried Spectracide weed stop to spot spray, the Home Depot Scott's weed and feed, looking to eliminate weeds and keep the lawn healthy. It's interesting how different lawns are to care for in different parts of the country. When I was in Florida, keep up with insecticide (chinch bugs) little fertilizer and water was good, Seattle area, keep up with keeping out the moss and OK, here weeds and I haven't found products that work. Wanting to learn what to use and when. Take keeping a nice lawn a bit more seriously.

7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

There has to be a commercial landscape chemical supply company who supply everyone. I presume CA is heavily regulated and you may not even be able to buy commercial anything, without an applicator license. I’m not sure. Depending on regulation and cost, it may be simpler to hire a Tru Green-type company to take care of that aspect of your lawn. I wish I could be of more help, with that.

Preen is not for what you’re wanting to do. It’s a pre-emergent for use in ornamental beds. When you layout your beds and get everything planted, you’d use a hand spreader and spread pre-emergent throughout the beds. Then, you’d come behind with mulch, fabric and rock, or whatever material. It only requires a reapplication, when you see weeds start popping back up. For the weeds that have popped, just spot spray with a post-emergent to get everything cleaned back up. After application of Preen-type products, it’s important to rinse it off everything, as it stains if left to sit.

karls likes this.
  8. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Bump!

In my area E IA the 4" soil temp is ~48 right now.

This yr Im focussed on killing off some freaking ground ivy in my backard that just laughs at any chemicals I spray on it, and getting rid of what I think is zoysa in my lawn thats more bluegrass I think. Tenacity is my plan, once a week. It turns both of em white. I just wasnt persistent enough last yr to kill it all off.

ducnut likes this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I sprayed post-emergent, Wednesday. Weeds are a popping, in central IL.

I need to double-check with the Site One rep for anything new in granular products.

skidooboy likes this.
  10. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Still MIA...

Banditracer likes this.
  11. Dave Wolfe

So far the patches of zoysa are winning.

What do you guys do when most of the lawn is grass A but you have patches of grass B? Im thinking its time to kill off the patches and reseed. How do you kill the unwanted grass?

12. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Could Garth be VR45 Troll?

13. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

You can spot spray, but if you have adjoining neighbors with that unwanted grass, it will be back. Also lawn maintenance crews that don't blow off mowers between each customer will bring unwanted seeds/weeds to you're yard.

14. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Glyphosate! Kill it, and till it. reseed, and fertilize. Ski

ducnut likes this.
  15. Dave Wolfe

Can I use one of those harbor freight propane powered brush burners? I need street cred with the neighborhood kids. In the middle of summer too when the grass is dry so I can catch my house on fire!

ToofPic likes this.
  16. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

You lawn people are unwell.... :D

969 likes this.
  17. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Only the 'lawn people'?

969, ToofPic and Sabre699 like this.
  18. Dave Wolfe

Heh heh heh

Im just a dude with a ho hum lawn. Im hardly "lawn people".

If I were asking about lawn striping and shit then Id agree with ya

19. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

You know people start that their sentences with: "I'm no conspiracy theorist but..."

You're a lawn dude.... :D

20. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Says the garden gnome...