1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feedback on Moto XP Ricambi Race Bodywork - Please Respond!

Discussion in 'General' started by Stettnichs, Mar 2, 2017.

1. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Dude there is absolutely no equivalence between clip-ons looking the same and what this bodywork vendor is doing, so just stop trying to rationalize it. They are stealing plain and simple and there is no way to spin it any other way.

2. Stettnichs

Stettnichs Well-Known Member

Definitely not spamming at all. SBK is right in that we have been doing a lot of research on R3 bodywork offerings and seemed to find a few brands we haven't heard of before - Carbonin, Catalyst, Pro-Fiber, Ten Kate Tacing, and Moto XP Ricambi. I've found reviews on the first two, but not much on the latter three, thus the reason for my post. JT happened to be the first to reply, and he seemed to have a decent experience. I've posted AT LEAST 3 different threads among multiple forums on this topic - again, definitely not spamming.

In regards to what D-Swens said, I think that's a huge red flag, like many others on here agree. That's similar to all the knock-off eBay replica parts floating around - from levers to full exhaust systems. With that said, the worst part (in my mind) is taking someone else's work. That's the part I really take offense to.

All in all, some people still buy eBay parts (I definitely have and will continue to do) for certain things, some people don't. I agree with SBK that not everyone can afford the nicer quality options - you're not racing if you're not on a budget, right? If this bodywork company makes decent stuff at the end of the day, it still may be an option for many.

I can definitely see the point of not supporting a company that advertises another's work. At the end of the day, them advertising D-Swens' work is absolute BS.

3. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

I'm curious what scheme he copied. I'll call Alessandro's ass out. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sbk1198 and Stettnichs like this.
  4. I wouldn't give a shit if they are twice as good as Sharkskins, and 1/4 the price. Hell, I wouldn't give a damn if they were free.

I will never support a company that does bullshit like that.

I'm all for getting a bargain, but that is where I draw the line. If it meant I had to skip a weekend, or multiple weekends, to save up money so I could get bodywork (or whatever) from a legit company/person, then so be it.

In my opinion, they are chickenshit thieves and can go to hell. I hope they never sell a single set of bodywork.

rd49 likes this.
  5. G 97

G 97 Garth

So what is the exact dollar amount needed in order to rationalize theft?

JBraun likes this.
  6. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I'm curious too. Matteo was the guy I talked to initially, before going through their distributor.

7. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

do any decal/sticker guys get permission? how does that actually work?

honest question because it's really the same principle isn't it?

8. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

I've always wondered that, do they pay rights to Yamaha, monster, Disney etc when they make cartoon name plates?

9. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Legally, I'm sure there's a thing.

Not legally, I know what feels right and what doesn't. This doesn't. I get it. It's subjective. It's my opinion.

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Unfortunately you don't seem to care that they're stealing from others and you'll support it to save a buck. :Poke:

11. sbk1198

If it's copyright material, then legally you'd have to get a license, or at least permission in some way. But if it's not, and the original owner doesn't care to have it legally as a prior art/patent/or whatever else depending on the type of product then you can use it. If I take a picture of my bike, or my dick, doesn't matter what it is you can use it on your website, facebook, or wherever else you want because I'm not going to bind that to myself legally and take legal action against someone using it.

Personally I'm more concerned with chinese companies that put out fake Brembo parts or other much more critical parts on ebay and claiming them as actual Brembo/Akrapovic/or whatever else. With decals, stickers, paint jobs, at least you know you're getting a replica for sure. Obviously the guys getting the Jonathan Rea or Chaz Davies replica bodywork know that they didn't come from the same place that made those for WSBK and that it's just a cheaper replica.

12. I hate the "replica" suits you see popping up from Pakistan that have the actual Dainese logo on them.

I have been blocked by so many of them on Facebook that it isn't even funny, because I call them out.

I'll be like "is that a REAL Dainese suit?" Then they'll be like "no, it's a replica". Then I'll be like "if it isn't a real Dainese suit, then why does it have the official Dainese logo on it?....did you get written permission from Dainese to use their logo?".

......then they block me. :rolleyes:

jt21, metricdevilmoto and sbk1198 like this.
  13. sbk1198

Oh FFS!....I'm not buying stolen bodywork! They're making it themselves in their own way, with their own molds (well at least I hope so lol). It's not like they walked over to someone and stole their bodywork and selling it now, or stole someone's painted. The claim is that they've posted someone else's PICTURES on their site. As I said, I don't agree with doing it that way for sure, but a lot worse things happen. They're not stealing products or paint, they are doing all the work. I'm also 95% sure that the pictures are there as examples of ideas for people, not saying that they've done all of those. When I contacted them initially and inquired about their painting options, I was told to look through their posted pictures and pick a scheme, or do my own idea if I want. So I don't even think they've done all of the ones posted, they're just using them as examples and saying that they can replicate them...whether it comes from WSBK, Swenson, or some Joe Schmo track day guy. The people doing all the schemes for the many pros over there in WSBK, BSB, CIV, CEV, etc. don't seem to care, or else they probably would've sued by now....so why are some of you guys getting your panties in a bunch over some replica pictures? o_O And it's not saving a buck...it's a hell of a lot of bucks.

14. sbk1198

Yep, I about came close to being fooled on a hell of a deal on an Akrapovic exhaust. Then I realized it was way too cheap to be true, and saw it was being shipped from China...they're getting really good at it though, it's starting to get harder to tell the difference.

15. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Some companies, I'm sure, don't care and are happy to have their logo on any motorcycle anywhere.

I'm thinking the Monster and Red Bulls and companies like that don't share the same sentiment. Their logos have some gravity to them.

Like I said, I get that there's a legal thing. I'm also aware of an aspect of this that operates outside of the legal spectrum. A company selling bodywork that has notoriety because there's a green M on it is profiting from that green M. That feels more wrong than a dude in his garage spraying a rattle can replica of the same thing regardless of what the law says.

16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I guess we just have ethics, that's why I wouldn't buy anything from powerstands either. Do you use photographers photos with watermarks on them too? In the grand scheme of racing for a year it isn't much money you're saving.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Me too. The whole first page seemed like those two were reading from a script.

418 likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It absolutely is the same thing - but the OEM's don't go after those using their logos in court so it's evidently acceptable to everyone.
    You get permission from the OEM in writing. It's a contract and they have stipulations on use of the logo, spacing, colors and so on. We get that permission and requirements from our sponsors so we can use their logos. Some are more picky than others about it.

19. Stettnichs

Stettnichs Well-Known Member

You guys are being ridiculous with these claims. If you read the entire thread, both JT and I have acknowledged the issue Swenson brought up. Frankly, if he wouldn't have posted anything, I would have probably continued to think fine and dandy things of this company. I'm glad he brought up his concerns! That's exactly why I started this thread in the first place.

If you look at my other posts over the course of the past year, ALL the rest are in regards to buying or selling R3/Ninja 250 parts/bikes. This thread, along with a Pro-Fiber one, was created out of honest curiosity.

sbk1198 likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It did read like spam - I didn't think it was or I'd have nuked it but it still looked like it. You guys were asking things the same way people spamming for a sponsor have done in the past. Relax.

Stettnichs likes this.