1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

English makes no damn sense

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Mar 10, 2023.

1. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Yeah, Americans not knowing how to say names of places properly is kind of the norm. That's different than it having two separate meanings in English, like your other examples.

I'm on day 3 of Japanese classes. Today I learned that あめ [ah-meh] can mean rain or candy depending on which part is stressed. I can hardly pronounces English words correctly and they expect me to learn this.

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Yes...for your conversations...

[​IMG]

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Wait.... You're going to actually attempt to learn the language of the country you're going to move to and live in for several years??!!?? And not force the native people to learn your language and get upset and irate when they don't??!!??:confused:

Being from Texas I'm unfamiliar with this concept. :rolleyes:

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Textass.
    Fixed? o_O

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:bow: I'm 100% convinced that my brain is no longer capable of doing that. And I am not sure it ever was.

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Try Spanish, I hear it's one of the easiest. German ain't too bad neither.

7. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Texted is DumbEnglish...used by iditos. :crackup:

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I took German for a few years in school and wasn't bad at it. But I never used it after high school and that's not the sort of beautiful flowing language that stays with you if you don't practice. I couldn't ask for directions, or even what time it is today. I actually wanted to take Spanish, but my father made me take German. Some bullshit about "can you tell me the name of a Spanish car?"

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

When a Chinese pilot speaks to a Spanish air traffic controller, what language do they use?
    The best one. Engrish.

backho likes this.
  10. karrotx

karrotx Well-Known Member

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  11. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Given my prep time and the amount of time I'll be over there (Sep 2023-> May 2025), I don't expect to be able to speak conversationally. But, I'm hoping to at least be polite.

A buddy of mine did this program a while back. I went over twice for training when he was in this 1st and 3rd years living there. There was a huge improvement in his vocabulary by that 3rd year. In talking to other people, he didn't start making his big gains until he found a Japanese girlfriend. But when I mention to my wife that I'm just trying to accelerate my learning, all of a sudden, I'm the asshole.

12. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I signed up for German going into high school, but the teacher quit before the schoolyear started. Since the vast majority of people signed up for Spanish, those classes were full so they made any of us that signed up for German take French instead. I took it for 4 years and thought I didn't learn anything, but when I went to Paris for a few days, I could basically read simple stuff on the street in the right context.

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I took French in HS, if you saw Ms Tobin you would’ve too!
    Hard to learn with a raging boner in class:flag:

HPPT likes this.
  14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Actually, this has been disproven by science. o_O

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And the science is settled. :Poke:

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  16. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I get a laugh out of all the folks who seem to think English is a dead language and isn't continually evolving. I can imagine similar people pissing and moaning about Chaucer's choice to write the Canterbury Tales using "Middle English" instead of "Old English."

A language that is in use is a language that will continue to evolve. Might as well yeet yesterday's dictionaries and grammar texts. I texted someone about that just last week. He was driving a bad '69 Camaro with a 327 so he responsibly waited until he was parked to read and respond.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

I love your dads response :D

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, German was utterly useless to me over the course of my life and there have been thousands of times I wished I spoke Spanish. I never forgave him.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You already have english and french, spanish should have been relatively simple to sort out :D

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

German would have helped had you been more into beer.