1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

English makes no damn sense

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Mar 10, 2023.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

animals-monty-snake-venom-nonvenomous-comedian-shl080724_low.jpg
    :D

2. fastfreddie

Well, yeah, but...I found no mention of French in association with the word. Like it went straight to English from the Latin "animale" in the 14c.

Fucking internet dictionaries are worthless.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Were you looking in a French dictionary?

4. fastfreddie

No. I wish I could remember where I misplaced my dictionary. Thing's the size of the Gutenberg Bible. How do you lose a book bigger than a boot box?

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You had a French dictionary?

6. fastfreddie

No. It's a very good dictionary tho'. You know, the kind where a word's definition starts out with, first off, where the hell the word came from to begin with...all its roots, dates included.

I haven't seen it in twenty years so I may be "misremembering". :D

How the fuck did that ever become a word? :rolleyes:

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

And it tells you all the other languages that a variation of the word is used in?
    Screenshot 2023-03-16 225916.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  8. fastfreddie

Like I said, it's been a while. But the transition of words, from their inception to modern English, was noted. If a word ever passed through French before becoming a common English word, I'm sure that would be mentioned.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

10. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

In spite of common Indo-European roots and the fact that Gaul was located in part of modern day France, modern Gaelic languages have little relation to currently spoken French. Being a bit Celtic myself, I think that I can say that if you made that comparison to a native speaker of Gaelic, you would be labelled a daft wee maun. Or perhaps belabored with a shillelagh.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Wee

12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Did you see Vu play?

13. fastfreddie

I was curious about whether there might be a connection.
    Tossing in that nobody outside that language understands it was for humorous effect...perhaps you've not seen the movie.

14. fastfreddie

th.jpeg