1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EBR done again

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Jan 26, 2017.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Been hanging out with Broome?

Razr likes this.
  2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

G 97 and daveknievel like this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The motor in that thing is pretty darn good. EBR owns the right to it?

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

So, you're are on par with Jim Cramer now. ?
    How much money did you lose?

5. I figured at at some point he/they would realize "it's made in America" isn't enough. We want good, quality, competitive, cool shit.

Perhaps if he would stop trying to be different, stop trying to reinvent the wheel, and stop trying to push his ideas into the market, he might be successful.

Get rid of that motor, lose that single rotor system, put on a normal frame with the gas where it goes, etc.

BMW has all kinds of weird motors and suspension designs. Then it came time to build a Sportbike and what did they do...they went with an I4 with conventional brakes and suspension.

He is trying to target a demographic that expects and can easily get a bike with a reliable 190hp, Brembo brakes, IMU based electronics, and Ohlins suspension...that is capable of being competitive year after year, without a leak or blown motor.

I applaud his efforts and want to see him succeed, but people aren't going to buy a lesser and different bike, just because it is made in America.

Stop trying to be different for the sake of being different. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and give us an American version of the R1 or Panigale.

Funkm05, cav115, Past Glory and 3 others like this.
  6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I agree, probably one of those guys that can sell ice to Eskimos.

Perfectly said, and I'm one of those guys that even owns a Buell.

IMO the bigger problem is the American market seems to have moved on from sportbikes, and that is all he sells now. Yes, some sportbikes will always sell,. But it isn't like, when I was a kid, and we only had standards. I dreamed of a Rickman, or even a 1/4 Cafe fairing with clubman bars.

Damn those bars were uncomfortable.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    Gorilla George likes this.
  7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You can go off on the "different" path after you have established a platform that sells in sufficient numbers to support the cost of developing "different".

cav115 likes this.
  8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Unfortunately dreams and running a business don't always go along the same pathways.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

This is more or less what Michael Czysz with his original petrol C1. Chassis was just a bit different, engine was unique in its design and arrangement and made plenty of power. Losing a guy like that with his vision was a real shame :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TheGrouchyCat and Razr like this.
  10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Wonder if Splitlath will continue to race the ebr or finally move on?

11. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

That C1 is gonna blow Broome' s mind.

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'm actually kind of curious as to why none of the MotoGP teams never tried that idea of turning the I4 90 degrees like Czysz did. It allows the bikes to be MUCH narrower.

418 likes this.
  13. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

418 likes this.
  14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

FTFY

418 and Razr like this.
  15. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

ordinarily you're spot-on with stuff, but you're dead wrong here.

people under-estimate and appreciate what the Japanese have done, especially the Euro-snobs. this forum EXISTS because of the Japanese factories.

in the US....to compete in design, quality, reliability AND price , you wouldn't need limitless resources and the right people.

you'd need a fucking time machine.

that ship sailed at least 35 years ago.

Razr likes this.
  16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Well, just give it time. Japan is in the midst of what some say is an unrecoverable demographic decline. In a few generations there won't be enough people left to keep the economy/country afloat much less build toys of leisure.

17. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

there are far graver things 3 generations ahead than a dearth of Japanese motorbikes.

caferace likes this.
  18. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

What's the over/under on the time frame for next EBR/Buell/EB-Racing/ iteration?

6 months?
    18?
    36?
    some multiple of 7?

19. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

The marketplace has embraced his "muffler under the engine" thing, and there's nothing wrong with that engine. The EBR models were good motorcycles. Did you ever ride one?

20. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

I wonder how it would have turned out if Hero didn't eF over EBR. A few motor and ECU updates, bolt on some Ohlins sticks and a Marchesini wheel with brembo bits would have gone a long ways to quiet critics

Big Sherm, 03RumbleBee and G 97 like this.