1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati MotoGP power

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, May 23, 2016.

1. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

not too familiar with the spec ECU deal but if all the manufacturers have the same governed amount of spark control then some engine designs are bound to work better with that than others.

2. caferace

caferace No.

They also started in on the "standard" electronics last year, so a significant headstart.

-jim

3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Single sided swingarm and trellis frame.

And the year pedrosa was fastest, Rossi was there and fucked up the bike development.
    Mine they got stoner back and look who's fastest.

Coincidence??

418 likes this.
  4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

That was last season.

5. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

7. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

LOL ^^^ thanks for the correction

8. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Italian cams?

deepsxepa likes this.
  9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Ding-ding-ding!
    :D

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

DESMO!

nothing can move / force the masses of the valves as fast as that system.

pneumatic springs at 15k RPM? Pffffft....

terminus est and throwdown like this.
  11. rhouck

rhouck wat?

Why is that? Cost? Reliability?

12. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

last i heard, GP teams refill the compressed gas system daily. thatd suck for a consumer vehicle.

rhouck likes this.
  13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Is that why Ducati licensed the desmo drive system to all of the F1 teams back when those engines revved over 19K? :Poke:

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

well the motogp engines also rev 18k.
    but fact is, that the pneumatic valve system still needs a rocer arm or something to get the valve down and then the pneumatic spring has to move it up again. so the rocker arm (or cam alone) has to work against 1. the mass of the valve 2. the spring load 3. the partial cylinder pressure

on the desmo system, the spring load is not required, thus resulting in higher dynamics. also, there are less friction losses (sealing of the pneumatic spring)

terminus est likes this.
  15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm just playing devil's advocate. On one hand, if desmo were so great, somebody would have copied it by now. On the other, racers (GP in particular) are notoriously resistant to change. Look at Moto2 - they were supposed to have set drivetrains but were free to develop chassis, and nearly all of them have gravitated to the same chassis.

16. stangmx13

id be very surprised if the desmo system wasnt heavier and had more rotating mass than a pneumatic system. its likely also makes for a larger cylinderhead, and we know how important packaging is for a GP bike. desmo has its drawbacks just like pneumatics.

IMO, the desmo system is not why Duc has a major HP advantage. theyve been chasing usable HP w/ this engine config since at least 2014. HRC has been doing the opposite for that time and Yamaha has mostly improved their braking stability. Duc also fought the wheelie with all those winglets and their use of the spec software for acceleration and wheelie is on-point. all that adds up to their crazy advantage.

17. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

At those speeds the aero package is as important as pure HP. Wind resistance is cubic, at a certain point drag out weighs HP for top speed. I did notice other teams copied the strakes (winglets), maybe they do more than just help with down force.

18. stangmx13

large endplates on the winglets would def affect the airflow around the moto dramatically. the other riders have been complaining about drafting the Ducs for a while now. the GP15 and 16 are also a bit smaller/narrower than the GP14, so im sure frontal area was decreased.

19. Critter

Critter Registered

Seriously, I must be getting old, everyone knows it's because of the ITALIAN CAMS!!! just ask Mr. Cobb....

cajun636, Phl218 and GSmann like this.
  20. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

It leaks by design, some of the gas keeps escaping into the cylinder or head or wherever it goes, it's a racing only thing.

I'm not sure how Ducati has anything to do with who uses the technology, IIRC it was Mercedes that invented it or first used it or something like that