1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati MotoGP power

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, May 23, 2016.

1. Why is the Duc so fast (in a straight line)? Or the question should be, why aren't the other ones as fast?

Is the Duc working with a different fuel allowance?

I can understand how one privateer bike can be faster than another, or when they are limited to the constraints of the Streetbike (WSBK), how one model might be faster. But when we are talking about the unlimited minds and budgets of the top Factory teams, why is the Ducati so much faster than the Yamaha and the Honda year after year?

At places like Qatar, the difference is insane. The Duc doesn't even need a draft. It can just blow by any of the other ones at will, and once it does, they can't even stay in its draft.

2. ljuice26

ljuice26 Well-Known Member

Ducati is using the same rules as all the other teams except Aprilia. Aprilia is still allowed allowances. Ducati lost all theirs last year. One reason, Gigi. He has made the bike a monster.

3. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

As a person with very little knowledge about internal combustion engines, my only answer is.......
    If Honda and Yamaha could figure that out, they would be doing the same thing. I'm looking forward to hearing the responses from folks that do know engines though.

4. It has a 2mm overbore and Carillo rods. Or maybe a Graves motor.

5. I thought that was the case. I was pretty sure they are (this year) working with the same rules as everyone else, I just wanted to make sure.

6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I just know I laughed my ass off when Iannone sucked the decals off those other two dudes as he went by!

7. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

It's got the power of Voltron with all those winglets.

8. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

According to DE, part of the problem for the Honda is it either spins or wheelies. They're having issues with generating forward drive.

9. 418

418 Expert #59

MR12.

10. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

220.8 was top speed record for motogp, crazy fast lol.

11. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

That bike has been the fastest top speed bike since the beginning (2002). Capirossi was beating people down the straights too. It's not the current team boss, Honda problems, or current rule package/fuel allowance.

SPL170db, stk0308 and BigBird like this.
  12. 418

418 Expert #59

Back in the day it was the Desmo valvetrain that was responsible for the extra power vs. others running conventional set ups. But now with everybody running a pneumatic valve actuation I've got no clue why.

13. There was MotoGP racing all the way back in 2002? o_O

:D

Me either, and that is interesting to me. Like I said, when we are talking about essentially unlimited resources, funding, and knowledge of the elite Factory teams, I wonder why they can't match the Ducati's power (which is obviously a smaller outfit).

14. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

This.

A Ducati held the top speed record until 2009, when Pedro broke it. Now it's back to being Ducati's. They have always had a beast of a motor, getting the power to the ground has been a different story.

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Because crossplane you ninny!

16. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

One thing the Duc has is a good base for the new software. Last season they had more fuel than the others so they

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

From a chassis and overall bike perspective Gigi has worked wonders, but in the engine department the Desmo has always had a very strong engine package even back in the 800cc days (I can't recall before that in the old 1000cc days).

18. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

It's still the desmodromic valve system. At very high revs the timing stays accurate and they burn more efficiently. The pneumatics for whatever reason haven't gotten the job done as well.

If there's anything in the world they need to ban in MotoGP it's the pneumatics, they absolutely cannot port those to a street application, it's a total dead-end development wise.

Phl218 likes this.
  19. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Suzuki had concessions too actually but now will lose some due to the podium Maverick got.

20. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Honestly the power thing I believe is likely several little things making a difference. One is the engine design and desmo valve setup, it has always made big power since Ducati got into MotoGP. I am sure another in the electronics setup; Ducati has always had good electronics and they bought into the Marelli spec ecu early on and suffered the least in the change (HRC). Another piece is engine power delivery; Ducati manage to make that power tractable. I think all of those things gel together to get the bike absolutely FLYING out of corner exits and down the straight.