1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dale Earnhardt - Seatbelt Came Apart

Discussion in 'General' started by GSXRGIRL, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't wear a helmet in my street car cuz every time I do the cops pull me over wondering what the heck is wrong with me [​IMG]

On another note - I wonder if nylon webbing is like denim and it actually gets stronger as it ages (within limits of course). Either way I can damn near guarantee that the belts did not show visible wear, NASCAR tech guys don't screw aorund when it comes to the safety equipment nor do the teams or drivers themselves. My guess is that it was Dales time and nothing would have changed no matter what... That however does not change my thoughts that a full face helmet would have helped in this situation. I hope that Little E takes this as a sign that maybe not all Dad did was exactly right.

No matter what though, our strange portion of the world lost another family member and with him went a little of each of us. I hate losing any racer, I know it happens, I know that given a choice a racer like Earnhardt would have chosen to go the way he did with his last thoughts being that a guy he believed in was winning his first race and it was also the Daytona 500 and his son was right behind him both in his racecars - for a racer, fan, and family member it just doesn't get any better than that and if you have to go then that's one heck of a time to do it. I hope that in my time here I can do even a tenth the good for racing that he did...

2. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

Roach, I think you are mistaken. The autopsy was done by a Dr. Parsons who is the county coroner - not the Daytona track doc.

3. Scarbs

Scarbs Well-Known Member

Any Arai reps on the BBS? An Arai I use for the street is frayed a lot on the longer strap. This is from lots of rubbing the velcro at the neck line of my leathers. Any chance that Arai can replace the strap and thus save the helmet? I'm not trying to be paranoid, just curious. Is the fraying a big deal, and is swapping the strap a big deal??
    I have told my wife that my brain is my greatest asset; 'cause I sure haven't got it in the looks department! Ha-ha. So I must protect my only hook...HA.

4. hazbin1

hazbin1 Well-Known Member

update dude

5. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

How old is the ARAI?

6. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

What I have seen is that his seat belt failed because Earhardt had it modified to be "more comfortable". Simpson which makes all kinds of safety gear has an impeccable reputation and none of those guys use old parts. I think this falls into the same catagory as the open face helmet. If you were a newby you wouldn't get away with it but since he was a veteran he did stuff that other people wouldn't do.

Not trying to stir any thing up...just Safety First!

7. Scarbs

Scarbs Well-Known Member

Laurie, sorry I was out of touch for a few days. The Arai is two years old...

8. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

Arai has a race support # to call. I don't have it here. I totally believe in this product so I will try to get the info for you. Eventhough the helmet is for street use, the race support program # will answer your questions on replacing the strap. I will email the info as soon as I get it.

9. medicracer

medicracer mostly luriking nowdays

ok, let's see, if his chin impacted the steering wheel hard enough to cause a basilar Fx, that would mean that his chin would've been crushed like a cracker. why no mention of this? where does that fit in with it all? also, his mandible would have also colapsed his airway. what about this? something just doesn't make total sense to me. IMHO

10. Scarbs

Scarbs Well-Known Member

Laurie, Thanks and sounds good.