1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dale Earnhardt - Seatbelt Came Apart

Discussion in 'General' started by GSXRGIRL, Feb 23, 2001.

1. GSXRGIRL

GSXRGIRL Guest

I just heard a brief news story on the radio that Dale Earnhardt's seatbelt came apart and that if it hadn't he probably would have survived that crash. If anyone else hears anything, please update this. (This is not a joke or rumor that I am trying to start) [​IMG]

2. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Yeah my buddy told me the same thing a little earlier. I wonder if it was from the crash or from previous damage?

3. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

4. GSXRGIRL

GSXRGIRL Guest

Thank you, Due North. [​IMG]

5. IYFphoto

IYFphoto Ripper of fish lips

It doesn't take much to greatly reduce the tensile strength of a woven belt/chain/sling. Here where I work we use synthetic (nylon and Kevlar) slings to lift large loads (usually in the 10000-30000LB range). The actual sling has a sheath around it to protect it. If there is even only visible wear (nick, burn, cut - no matter how small) on the sheath, the entire sling is replaced - not cheap, but consider the alternative...gravity getting ahold of a 30000Lb load.

Think of your leathers and the stitching. Would you have much confidence in them it the seams were all frayed...it's just a string, right...NOT. A crack in your helmet...get a new one. The list goes on.

Given the force of the impact, I could see how a slightly damaged belt could come apart. Hopefully future fatalities can be avoided with the amount of attention that this crash is bringing to the sport.

Louis
    WERA#313

6. IYFphoto

Just checked the link to the story-

Brand new? November last year? That isn't even almost new. But then, how much attention do they pay to the condition of the seatbelt?

Installed at Daytona would be brand new.

7. aip

aip Well-Known Member

Damn what does that make the belts in my 95 Dodge Intrepid.

8. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

Considering the belt broke, if the HANS device was in use, it probably would have ripped his head clean off. Yuucch!

9. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

So we're back to the original reaction most of us had: the crash didn't really look that bad. I guess his number was up. That blows...

10. julrich

julrich Well-Known Member

It says manufactured in November 2000. They could have been "brand new" as far as actual installation and use goes.

[This message has been edited by julrich (edited 02-23-2001).]

11. IYFphoto

HEY JU -

True. Missing facts make it easy to jump to conclusions. That said...even if it was manufactured in Nov 2000 and installed at Daytona, there still could have been a cut from this past weekend (getting in and out of the car). Equipment inspections save lives.

TSR - Considering the belt broke, if the HANS device was in use, it probably would have ripped his head clean off. Yuucch!

I don't think so. The hans device gets it's retention ability from the seatbelt/harness. If the seat belt broke (mainly the upper straps)the hans device would be useless. The hans straps connect to a shoulder mounted "yoke"...not the seat itself.

Louis

12. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

Oh, ok. I thought it was attached to the seat or rollbar.

13. Tracy S

Tracy S Well-Known Member

No, the HANS is attached to a collar that fits over your shoulders. It would have went forward with him.
    http://www.hansdevice.com/

[This message has been edited by Tracy S (edited 02-23-2001).]

14. Chuck Warren

Chuck Warren Well-Known Member

According to the article, he hit his chin and the force was transfered to the base of the skull. A full faced helmet would have offered a great deal more protection. He made a conscious decision not to wear one.

15. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

I was just thinking this. I have no problem with Mr. Earnhart not wearing a full-face helmet - that was his choice, and I fully respect it (I may not agree with it, but I respect it).

HOWEVER... what I *don't* respect was that the first thing to come out of NASCAR's doctor's mouth was "The open face helmet wasn't a factor" and that "I don't know if the HANS device would have made a difference. Probably not". All before an autopsy or investigation was done. What I also found convenient was that the *same* doctor did the autopsy (check out the news articles - his name pops up a lot). Does anyone else find this odd? A doctor who runs ambulance duty in turn 3 happens to also do autopsies on the side??

Smells like damage control to me, and I don't like it. The subsequent finding of the failed seatbelt suddenly causes the release of information that Dale's chin impacted something and that the force could have caused the baselar fracture. Open face helmet not a factor my ass. It's toooooo much of a coincidence, and I'm not usualy the kind that's looking for the black helicopters over my house.

- Roach

16. AL GOODWIN

AL GOODWIN Well-Known Member

If the technology is there?..Why not use it. Kind of like a woman going through "natural child birth" without drugs....WHY?

17. Scott McKee

Scott McKee FZR crasher

I don't know about you guys but I'm sure going to check my helmet strap real good before each race from now on.

18. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

Why don't you wear a helmet while driving your passenger car to work every day? Why don't all cars come with 5-point harnesses, and beyond that, why not install them in yours?

Because you *choose* not to even though both these items would greatly reduce the chance of injury in case of accident, and that accidents happen with great frequency out on our nations' highways. I assume you have a rational reason for not doing so?

[​IMG]

(I'm not really the Devil's Advocate, I just play one on TV)
    - Roach

19. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

You know, one would think that with the amount of time, money, effort, design, safety, etc. that goes into those cars, they would install a new harness in the car. I'm sure over the winter they built several new cars, and probably build several throughout the season. And for a top notch team such as RCR (Richard Childress Racing), it's disturbing to think that a worn harness would be overlooked, or used. Someone asked me today if NASCAR was trying to justify his death. I don't think this is the case, but I do think that they may be saying "Uh-Oh", didn't think to check that." I saw part of the press conference, and maybe it was just me, but Gary Nelson, top inspector at NASCAR, seemed very nervous during the question and answer portion.

20. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

That's a good idea......check it, then double check it. It amazes me that we have actually had guys out on the track without the strap even through the "D" loops. HELLOOOO!!!!!!