1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

crowd funding for racing

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott Swensgard, Sep 7, 2014.

1. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

I could see the upside down cowboy hat with "YO gimme".......:Poke:

2. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

She offering experiences such as a day of mini flat track at her and Josh Hayes' house, or an opportunity to get some Facebook love for a price.

It's a value proposition. People can consider the offering and participate, or not. That's different from begging in my opinion.

3. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

I'm with Pete on this. Begging is begging, and I honestly think it cheapens the team's image, and the sport. Everyone on the grid could use more financial help... literally everyone. When you simply ask for money in exchange for a "Thank you for funding my dreams" it's tacky.

Sell stuff, offer services (fan rides, track days, raffles, etc.), or don't do anything at all.

If I'm giving money to anything racing related it's to the Airfence Fund, The Red Flag Fund, or one of the other non-profit groups supporting racers.

4. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Woah, "lazy"? Never mean that and I bet most don't.

My thinking is why couldn't Josh front the bill for her to race? I have NO idea what his total net worth is and annual income looks like, but I find it HARD to believe it's not enough to do that.

5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

You may want to read the original article before you get all righteous. She is offering a variety of experiences, not just begging for money.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pretty sure she doesn't want to go that route. Melissa has always gone racing on her own merits as a rider and promoter of products.

7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

If I employ Josh Hayes to race for my team, I'm not allowing him to personally sponsor another team or rider, especially on a competing brand's motorcycle. I don't care whether it's his wife or not.

I'm sure Melissa would prefer to stand on her own anyway.

8. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

who cares what most of you think.. if they are looking to crowd fund there racing then so be it. that doesn't mean you have to participate. if they can raise money and fund there racing then more power to them. even if a novice guy starts a gofundme account, who cares..

9. XACT-Man

If my memory serves me right, didn't Matt Mladin sponsor a race team/rider in AMA while he was riding for Suzuki/Yosh?

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Exactly! Want to give money, give it. Don't want to give money, Don't. Who cares?

I don't want to hear your reasons for doing it, against doing it or why on Sunday mornings you dress up as Mr.T and pity the fool.

11. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Begging for money is sitting there with a cup asking for money and getting nothing in return.
    This is different. She's providing a return on your investment.
    It's no different than a racer sending a proposal to a potential sponsor.
    "Dear sponsor, in return for $x, I'm going to give a return on your investment by....".
    In this case, the return on the investment is clearly spelled out on the site. Depending on what you give, you get something in return.

12. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

How is asking for sponsorship any different the begging for it?

13. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

lol..

and for those club racers who are trying this approach, i'm sure most of them aren't having much luck. so let them sulk in the humiliation of initiating such a campaign.

unfortunately, talent will only take you so far in this sport. you have some sort of work ethic to pull funds together to go race.

14. XACT-Man

Dave K needs a "fund me F@ck off" site......pay Dave to tell you to F@ck off.......and shit....:D

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'll do that for free.

But then again, the Joker says when you're good at something, never do it for free.

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Yeah I think you're right, I just don't know how I'd feel about it. Doesn't matter what I think though since I only own team me.

17. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

It happens plenty in the UK too...

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap, the team ran Suzukis, Yosh parts and used a lot of the Yosh sponsors and also his. It was a win for everyone.

19. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Maybe Melissa wants to run her own program. She's a tough cookie and I can completely see her wanting to do things her way.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  20. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wasn't speaking to that article so much as I was to the original question about crowd funding your racing efforts.

Sounds like MP is doing what I'm talking about, and offering something in exchange. Which I can get behind. :up: