1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

crowd funding for racing

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott Swensgard, Sep 7, 2014.

1. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

That is a very popular way of doing things UK side, as it shows the rider/s actually doing some thing for the support given apart from having fun doing skids on track

2. Critter

Critter Registered

I think if you can integrate the crowd funding link into your social media account like Facebook, linked in, or twitter it makes it easier to pass the link around and then as that link gets passed around you get a little more exposure for your sponsors.

If you just put it up and hope for passers by you are kind of not doing your job

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I guess, but it seems if you're using social media to promote that, then the same social media promotion would already cover your sponsors and even give them more attention without the crowd sourcing being involved.

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

When our website was originally built years ago, the designer suggested we put a donation tab on it. I felt uneasy about it too, but he suggested it multiple times and said it was an easy add-on. We actually never received a donation from it, and I no longer have that website.

5. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I was going to be a smartass and post a link to "Support Webcrush Racing" here, but the site has finally disappeared! (Thank God that the official poll stating that LRRS has by far the worst customer service is gone with it! :D )

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That is precisely the one I was thinking about when I posted. I don't know if I should be amused or terrified. :D

7. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Just as I see it re social media and exsposure of the sponsors. And if you were active in up dating your outlet, Donations would be placed, so I say create the Donations page BUT make sure you stay up to speed with it and keep all well informed for there support of your game Playing. " If a person chooses to donate to give them a warm feeling good on them I say!

8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Extremely distasteful. Racers begging racers for money is one of my least favorite things. Recently, you see it so much on Facebook and with nonsense like Kickstarter. No different than begging for change outside a Wawa or setting an upside down hat next to your pit, but apparently, without the shame. I don't understand how it is socially more acceptable than flat out panhandling; do something to earn the money.

9. Ramm

Ramm Well-Known Member

What he said. It's begging for a hobby...

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

at the beginning of this thread, I was against it...BUT my mind has changed...

who cares how it looks. If you get $1 it's a $1 more than you had before. If it looks bad, who cares in the grand scheme of things. It's not like you're getting interviewed for a job here by those who don't like the approach. People can choose to roll their eyes and others can choose to donate, that's their choice. When your kid grids up and visor down, the rest doesn't matter.

11. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

I see the "send me money so I can go race" stuff, and I honestly think it's lazy, and distasteful. Not only are you offering nothing in return for the donation, but you're cheapening your "professional brand".

If you want my hard-earned money so you can go play tell me why, other than "You're an aspiring young racer" because that's not enough.

Sell me some cool swag.

Offer me something I can't get from anyone else...

- Raffles
    - Live updates from the pits
    - A day in the pits with the crew (paddock access)

The passive nature of saying "donate to the cause" on a website isn't a big deal to me, because I find that much more tasteful than active pandering.

12. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Draik's race program is about as low-budget-rock-star as anyone will find. While his website has a paypal "donate" button, it also says if you do use it for a $5 or more, he will send you a sticker (does a little more than covers the cost of the sticker/postage). That bottom is tucked away in the corner of the same page that he sells t-shirts. I don't want him to ever be accused of "begging" so therefore we don't even ask, just offer opportunities to get something in return for supporting him; only if you feel compelled to.

As with anything, it's all about convictions; if you feel uncomfortable doing it, it's probably wrong. It's up to you to decide to do it or not. On the other side of that, if you don't like people setting them up, you don't have to give. It's not like a go fund me will necessarily convince someone to give, it just gives them an easy route to do so.

13. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I think selling shirts, stickers, etc., is a great idea. Begging? Not so much.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Do you feel the same way about people walking up to your car at an intersection asking for money? Or do you see it as something different?

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's a weird line though, because a bunch here have donated to help someone get to the Isle of Man or the like and I know when I have I've been happy to do so and it didn't feel like charity.

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

well in NYC...it happens at the intersection, it happens in the subway, it happens on the streets...so basically it happens everyday that I choose to go outside.

Sadly, I've gotten immune to it for the most part, as it's usually the same cast of characters if you go to the same locations or time points enough. I just put on my headphones and keep on rolling.

On the web it's even easier, since I don't even have to click on a link. I've donated to more than one persons racing endeavours though with nothing in return, so why not attempt it to other plebians with the full disclosure that there probably wouldn't be anything in return?

17. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Damn... that's very true.

18. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I think that the product that you are receiving in this instance is simply getting to be part of a team effort to get one of our racers onto a bigger stage. Paying someone's club racing bills just doesn't feel the same way.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Makes sense to me.

20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

+1, I want our talent to make it to the "big show" and if a few bucks helps, so be it. Having said that, there are very few that have the skills or the drive that that takes. I much prefer another tee shirt that I don't need or hat that doesn't fit and have overpaid for this stuff to support the cause.