1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Construction experts knowledge needed...

Discussion in 'General' started by sheepofblue, Aug 25, 2020.

1. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the new family member. Shelties are cool dogs. Not Border Collie cool, but pretty close. When my gold and white BC boy died a little over a year ago, I discovered that gold was a hard color to find. I looked all over the country, and then a puppy fell into my lap from one state over.
    Screenshot_2020-05-11-07-20-28.png

2. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Like this guy? He was a flyball teammate of my Sheltie Sca 750_5499.jpeg

3. nigel smith

He could be my boy's brother. I looked into flyball down here on the coast, but couldn't find any active clubs. There is a barnhunt group, so maybe we'll give that a try.

4. sheepofblue

There were two teams in the Panhandle but both dissolved as far as I know. Florida has a Jacksonville team that I know of as they come up to our area at times. I am not active now but am familiar with the TN/AL/GA teams for the most part. Occasionally the FL team or a TX team would come (I have a Sheltie friend on the TX team by coincidence) Also I would be able to contact someone that could point you toward NC teams (he is a flake but would certainly help).

5. nigel smith

Needs to be within a decent drive of Mobile. I'm planning on moving to my North Carolina mountaintop permanently, but not quite yet. Is it a seasonal sport?

6. sheepofblue

Mostly year round. Up here it is impacted by heat so a lot of times they skip July (even indoors) Check NAFA and UFli but sadly the team I knew in your area is one that dissolved. Zip the Pomeranian that was friend to all Shelties was on that team. Closest to you now is likely B'ham. They race in Clanton a bunch but the challenge for you would be finding a team to practice with. This year is canceled for NAFA until January according to a friend who would know (head of the B'ham team which is HUGE and a judge)

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I think that dog breeders should have to go to the Animal Control center and push the euthanasia needle on one dog for every 'purebred' dog they bring into the world.

Scum of the earth, they are.

8. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Yeah, it’s the breeder’s fault. You must be on board with suing the gun mfg’s, too, right?

sheepofblue likes this.
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

If it weren’t for breeders, my kids wouldn’t have a dog.

Unless of course you know of a good source for low-to-non-allergenic dogs you could steer me to.

10. auminer

How is that even remotely in the same conversation?

[​IMG]

11. nigel smith

I am now old enough that my dog and I have about the same life expectancy. My previous dog was, to me, a once in a lifetime friend. You'll have to forgive me if I wanted my final dog to exhibit the same traits that made that so. Admittedly, I probably would have been fine with a dog of different colors, but the empty space in my life could best be filled with a gold and white border collie boy. I searched in pounds and rescue groups with no luck. I happily paid a breeder for the puppy I was searching for. If you happen to be a border collie person, there really is no other breed that will do.

12. sheepofblue

Funny I think that most people should be euthanized including the ones that are holier than though and as annoying as @#$#. Spitfire gives you the paw spitfire.jpg
    Does it even occur to you that the reason there is dogs in rescue is the worthless @#$#@'s of people that mistreated them not where they came from? My last 3 are spoiled rotten well cared for purebred Shetland Sheepdogs that if someone tried to mess with they are screwing with family and the result would be as expected.

13. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Nigel Smith, your comments are just too close to my experience. Thus we are getting a sable Sheltie. Which by the way attracts females like no other. My only problem is that I’ve never had a puppy before. Sebastian came to use when he was about 3. I think I have a steep learning curve ahead of me. Enjoy your border collie

14. auminer

Couldn't agree more. ;)

sheepofblue likes this.
  15. nigel smith

What did you get for them?

16. sheepofblue

Sheltie Nation but beware it is full of crazy dog ladies so be ready for a different mind set than here. Good people and info though on Shelties.

Oh and be ready for LOTS of zoomies if your older pup did not do them a puppy will be a rocket. And heel nipping, attempts to herd you will be made.

17. nigel smith

Herding breed puppies can be a handful. Their natural herding instincts have been bred into them, and they can't help nipping and organizing anything that moves. You will have to patiently redirect this behaviour. They have also been bred to work closely with humans, so crave your company and direction. I'm sure you are aware of their sensitive nature since you have already lived with one. Just remember that it you get mad at them it really upsets them. I try to look at percentages when raising a puppy. If he's 80% naughty this week, but only 70% bad next week, you are doing it right. Patience, patience, and more patience. Before you know it, you'll be wondering how you were lucky enough to get such a good dog. I've only dealt with border collies, but the same general ideas apply.

sheepofblue likes this.
  18. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

F1BB Golden Doodle.

18mo old and sweet as syrup. Her first time in the canoe:

Attached Files:

sheepofblue likes this.
  19. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

You aren’t really that dense. As with all things, what’s done with anything after it’s “made” isn’t the fault of the maker. But I get it ... you’re a hypocrite on this one, so the point is lost on you. That’s cool.

20. auminer

I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

There's no need to 'make' more of something when millions of them are literally thrown in the trash for lack of homes.

Which Constitutional amendment was it that guaranteed the right to exploit dogs for profit again? I missed that part.

Again... comparing apples and assholes.