1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Construction experts knowledge needed...

Discussion in 'General' started by sheepofblue, Aug 25, 2020.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Let me preface this by saying I'm not an expert on isolating vibration. However, short of full blown seismic design, I would think masonry, even reinforced, on a large, deep footing would be better isolation from ground vibration. My logic is that the monolithic nature of the concrete would be more likely to transmit the vibration from a train or truck than masonry which is a bit less monolithic. Flame away, I'm going to sleep.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Damn, dude!
    Which one do you use the most?
    He can peep through the ISS's windows! :eek:

3. fastfreddie

Build the observatory on what you might call a raised courtyard. Build the house around the courtyard.

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I think you're correct. Make it strong, but isolate the footer/foundation section from the upright section, 2 piece design.

5. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Don’t give up on this project. It’s not as hard as finding a sable and white male Sheltie. I take it you live in Florida, as Turboblue stayed why not a precast concrete pier. I’ve noticed in Floida concrete power poles. Would wood work?

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

What part of FL? Sandy soil is pretty good isolation for vibration, but you would want to bury at least a third of the post.

7. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I knew a guy that built a pillar through his deck. He put his big ass Takahashi mount on it. The pillar was isolated from the deck and it probably cost a hell if a lot less than the mount.

sheepofblue likes this.
  8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

The WO for sure. I need to reconfigure some stuff to get the camera back on the Celestron so I can do fast swaps. It is better for galaxies and small nebulas.

Really need to get the solar scope figured out for when activity comes back. Right now it is low so not a lot of interesting stuff. Though I could figure out how to use it, camera setup, tracking setup and of course post processing. Also I saw a picture once of the ISS crossing which was totally cool and learning how to do that would be sweet when sunspots get more common.

9. sheepofblue

Alabama and red clay.

AVOID WHITE SHELTIES! They are double merles and while gorgeous breeding two merles (how you get them) results in a high number of blind and/or deaf puppies. They are banned from breed standard and other than an accident only monstrous assholes breed them. Sables are easy, Spitfire is a Sable and some breeders only do them. Ironically my first Sheltie Sca was from a sable breeder and he was a tri-color. They sometimes introduce a tricolor into the line trying to get mahogany sables. When you do that you get an occasional tricolor like Sca in the mix. I think he thought he was sable as all the other shelties were when he was a puppy.

Angus is a blue merle with both eyes being blue (a merle thing not the blue part of merle)

10. fastfreddie

I wanted a 102+ refractor, we ended up with a 10" Dobsonian...don't use it much.
    A refractor? I'd be on that thing every day.

11. sheepofblue

Does are great for viewing I use mine exclusively for astrophotography. Still learning though.

12. As someone stated above my buddy is waiting on his CE to get some spare time but he said getting a pre cast, will need to be at least 1/3 of overall length under ground and said build a footing with a tapered bottom going at least 2’ down towards the center and tapering at a 30 degree angle out to give or take 3’ per side. Said the 39 degree tapered angle when properly reinforced is actually stronger in a side load than going straight 3’ down. I get the whole triangular thing and assuming it just puts the high load part in compression vs bending moment. His company pumps concrete into high rises, big office buildings etc so I trust his judgment. This has me intrigued.
    One question : a: location and soil where you are putting it b; do you have a number for vibration isolation? Said for almost all buildings they have a max motion frequency which really is form of vibration. Said a big high rise can move a couple feet easy up top which is why it’s so laughable when you see a penthouse with a telescope. Unless there is some that have a super gyro in them ?

sheepofblue likes this.
  13. Jed

Jed mellifluous

14. sheepofblue

Another option that someone on the telescope forum suggested was using 1 1/2 metal pipe. The put three legs on it fastened to the concrete, like a tripod. I plan on asking him for pictures as this would be an easier approach even than an antenna tower...

Any more info on how your pier is mounted to the ground Jed?

Thank you everyone for the input it has been very helpful, more to come.

15. Jed

Jed mellifluous

IIRC he had it poured on site. Reinforced I'm sure. It looked to be about 2 feet by 2 feet flaring to 3 or 4 feet at the top. Probably about 12 to 15 feet tall. It was on the back of the house which was a downslope so it had some height to it. It looked a lot like a bridge column.

16. sheepofblue

Talked to a friend tonight and he had an interesting alternative. Do the entire thing in steel, except the decking on the platform. Depending on what the steel people say I could do an i-beam up the center with a plate on each end to isolate the pier. I might draw an idea up and find someone local for a price.

17. kyle carver

Sheep of blue. Great news, it’s been a year since our Sheltie died. We have looked and looked for a sable Sheltie. Tonight we just put a deposit on a pup. Hell my doctor told me to get a pup I’m so happy

sheepofblue likes this.
  18. sheepofblue

Where are you located? I think they are less common on the west coast (shelties, not sables). Oh and they are like potato chips you can't have just one.

19. kyle carver

We are in Tn. Several years ago we rescued our first Sheltie. He was the best dog and best friend. Thus why I wanted something similar. On your project if you need assistance give me a yell , I’m a civil engineer who’s trying to tetire

sheepofblue likes this.
  20. sheepofblue

If you want a second go to ASSA and search for breeders. My first came from Mt Juliet (tri-color breeder no longer active), second was from Bowling Green (sable, sadly breeder likely passed but for sure not breeding), last guy came from SC and breeder is still active though I think she leans more AOC than Sable. Raven and Rod-n-Staff are in TN and been around for a while. Nice thing is they all talk so if you contact one they can usually put you in touch with who you need. My next will likely come from MN, I have some friends up there and want a high drive pocket rocket. If I was patient I am sure they could find 'the one'