1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Concrete flatwork guys

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, Sep 28, 2020.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Due to time and cost over runs (ie I spent too much money so far...:D) i may need to lay and finish the slab in my pole building/shop I am putting up. I havent done much flat work but hey how hard can it be....:D

SO as this is in MI I am insulating the slab on foam with tubing runs for in-floor heat. The tube will be attached to 6x6 wire mesh and we will pull this up as we pour.

I plan to use fiber mesh and pour ~5" for more strength.

My issue is screeding. Finish height will be ~5in below my grade board and as it is 30x40 I cant span the whole slab with 1 screed board. The normal way would be to use stakes/pipe for a screed surface...but how do I that with foam insulation?

I think I will chalk line finish height on the grade board and float that by hand for 12-24" out. Then I can use some sort of heavy wire or very small (maybe 1/8" dia)rigid tube to act as guide pins for the screed height. This wire/tube material I can drive into the foam for height and either pull or hammer down when done. Thoughts?

I am also thinking of renting a 10' power screed for this. Never used one. Tips?

Then I will finish with a power trowel and after curing a few weeks coat with polyaspartic.

You pro guys got any sweet tips on this?

Thanks,

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Just one! Hire the pro cement guys with all the sweet tips so you don’t fug it up :Poke:

Sabre699 and jksoft like this.
  3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I spent too much money so far...:D

4. speedluvn

:rolleyes: It’s the beeb! A quiet generator is the answer to all of your problems :beer:

5. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

laser for grade , wet screed . Wood straight edge will work in a pinch (like 12-13 foot , longer gets more whip effect ) but need to have fine grade nice before screeding with one. My advice, find a couple guys come by and place and finish it . Not sure what the going rate is up that way . Pumping it i'm assuming ?

Skrawny likes this.
  6. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

I’d rather see you with Roll out diamond plate vinyl on dirt then screw up yards of concrete with ponding and looking like shit..... Save up your money and get it done right in the future... you will come across a good subcontractor to help you with Flatwork. Plus a really nice finish on concrete will be beautiful versus marks all over from not getting it right

don’t forget control joints and expansion joints!

7. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

This x2
    I’ve done tons of concrete work but knowing my limits has kept my shit looking proper. All projects run over budget. The time it takes to get your money straight will pale in comparison to the many years of looking at a fucked up job and beating yourself up about it.
    Good luck ether way

Kolbe and BigBird like this.
  8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

It's been a while, but at one time I did 1,000's of square feet of flatwork monthly from both sides of the work. I was pretty good at screeding, but running a power screed is as specialized as a master trim carpenter. Hire someone or risk loosing big money.

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That and a diesel dually... :D

Phl218 and speedluvn like this.
  10. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Hire a pro
    I can't stress this enough
    It's not like some framing mistake you can hide in the walls, you're going to see every imperfection everyday if you finish the floor by yourself
    Unless you do this for a living I would not tackle this, know your limits
    Borrow money to do it if you need to

11. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

This is a terrible idea. I can’t wait to see the after pictures!

Is this going to be a one-man place and finish?

but it looks so easy on HGTV...

12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Forget the power screed, just use a 10'-12' screed board that you can handle and take your time, use grade stakes right through the insulation board, when you trowel that spot for height, pull the stake. I'm not sure how much help you have, so it might take 4 separate pours to do the whole barn. It's not brain surgery, just do a good job with the screed, then the power trowel will be easier, you'll be fine. Since you're pouring extra thick, you can wet it up slightly (6 slump) it's easier to work with, might go with a stronger mix also, like a 6 bag or 500o psi.

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

No way would I learn a new skill on a job that size and that complicated.
    You will regret trying to save money in the wrong place. Save money somewhere else
    and apply that money to your concrete job.
    Less beer, fewer take-out meals, whatever.

BigBird likes this.
  14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Get video...this is gonna be part of beeb lore forever.

The, Sabre699 and rd400racer like this.
  15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

There are very, very few things I pay someone to do for me. One of those things is concrete.

Scotty87 and R Acree like this.
  16. speedluvn

In all honesty, if you feel up to this task, go for it! I have tackled a couple projects over the last two seasons that have tested my DIY abilities. Was it perfect, fug no but I’m mighty proud of my deck and firepit. I saved thousands in the process.

upload_2020-9-29_11-59-28.gif

BigBird likes this.
  17. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I bet most people Including myself that are saying use a pro to do the concrete would say do the deck and fire pit no question. The scope of Work from those two versus the pad isnt close. Concrete isn’t something you can peck at. It’s time sensitive

BigBird, The and jksoft like this.
  18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Measure twice, place once.

cav115 likes this.
  19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Wood can be ripped out and redone, concrete is another story.

BigBird likes this.
  20. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Godamn it...I've cut this 3 times already and it's still short !!

BigBird and badmoon692008 like this.