1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chad Reed

Discussion in 'General' started by Derick, Apr 3, 2017.

1. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Dirt is how you get better at racing on asphalt.

Glad they penalized Reed. It not only potentially affected the championship, it affected the show for the fans as well.

Agreed on the black flag comment too.

2. six6two

six6two AWD

How is the penalty justified if they never bothered to throw a black flag?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They threw a blue - why do they need to throw a black?

4. six6two

six6two AWD

4.15 Flags and Lights a. Solid Blue Flag : 1. Indicates you are about to be overtaken by faster riders. 2. When conditions allow, move out of the fast line. 3. Hold your line (don’t ride erratically) and do not impede the faster riders progress. 4. Riders disregarding the blue flag may be black-flagged at the discretion of Race Director.

I saw him well within #3... Dungy had plenty of opportunities to pass, but chose to sit back about 4 bike lengths and just follow Chad around, probably screaming in his helmet. He even followed Chad down the straights.. hence the missed triples. Chad did nothing erratic, left plenty of room for passing, and slowed up immediately after the first time he looked back. I don't see how they can go straight to penalties and fines when the Race Director didn't even think a black flag was warranted in the first place. Eli said he was held up for about 4 laps.. which is more than what we saw with CR & RD and no other riders were fined or black flagged.

VFR#52 likes this.
  5. I watched the replay. I saw Reed say to the guy waving the blue flag "I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal. People know me"

scottn and six6two like this.
  6. six6two

six6two AWD

#4 Doesn't say "Riders disregarding the blue flag may be docked points and issued fines", it says they may be black flagged, and that never happened. So I don't see how this is justified, if a black flag wasn't.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Read the full rules - I'm sure the points and fine option is in there.

8. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

With all the tears flowing they had to get some #JUSTICEFORRYAN #NOJUSTICENOPEACE. The gave a penalty the tears slowed up and the race/points result is the same as it would have been in Reed would have pulled over. Nothing to see here anymore, justice has been served.

VFR#52 and crashman like this.
  9. JWVance

JWVance Well-Known Member

I watched a youtube clip of the event. All this bitching over that??? You people are getting soft.

badmoon692008 and VFR#52 like this.
  10. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

It is.

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

He intentionally ignored a blue flag (more than once)?

How was Peick's fine for hammering on Friese justified with a fine/penalty? Or Anderson's? They all come from a somewhat subjective (gray area) of the playbook - as a sanctioning body - to me.

Reed can appeal it, too ..

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's not gray so much as a rulebook cannot cover every specific infraction riders come up with so you have to have some leeway in it. Officials have to be able to give penalties when riders mess up.

VFR#52 likes this.
  13. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Nah, that's pushing it to your anti-Dungey agenda. Regardless of what Dungey should have done, Reed affected the show. And SX is most certainly a show.

VFR#52 likes this.
  14. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

As he should , and I'm not sure how any of you can watch that and decide that Reed should have been penalized . Especially how many times I've seen posted on this site that " Learning how to pass slower riders is part of racing" AND all the bitching about how no one should have let Rossi through when he started at the back last race of the season. You bumpkins need some sort of consistency in your whining

badmoon692008 likes this.
  15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Let's all be honest - it's a slap on the wrist. 5k and a few points for a championship he's not really in. I'd see him appealing if there are incentives in his contract(s) based on where he finishes in the championship.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Yep. Appendix A. Items 9, 15 and 22 could be used. Item 15 talks specifically about flags and 9 and 22 are vague enough they could spin them to where they fit.
    Not that I necessarily agree but it is there if you RTFRB.:D

17. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

to me there was one telling moment of the race. At the end of the race, 99% of the time the rider stops and picks up his mechanic and rides back to the rig with the mechanic on the back of the bike, unless you are headed to the podium.

reed rode right out of the track and didn't look back. he knew he had been an ass and didn't want to stick around for the fallout.

Reeds lap times went from the 55's to the 53's when Dungey was trying to pass. Maybe Reed should have stepped up his game earlier in the race and he wouldn't be a lapper that far back.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It also seems like it's not the first time he's done something like this from what you guys are saying, I get the penalty.

VFR#52 likes this.
  19. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I took the SAT, but I think I have this correct.

Reed is to Dungey in 2017 as Marquez was to Rossi in 2015 :D

20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

So, are we bitching about Dungey being too soft to lay an aggressive pass on a slower rider, or Reed being a dick?

VFR#52 likes this.