1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we talk about Masters?

Discussion in 'General' started by APO2112, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Out of everything that I said, that’s what you got out of that? Incredible.

I fully support WERA. I raced every single event I could make with them last year. I wasn’t aware that I wasn’t supposed to be critical of organizations I take part in. If you read that and took anything away other than:

“This guy likes racing and wants to see WERA do WELL”

Then either your comprehension skills are not what I would expect, or my communication skills are not what I thought they were. Both entirely plausible I suppose..

Tyson10R and APO2112 like this.
  2. APO2112

APO2112 Well-Known Member

This is a fact of life for the SE region. B SS and B SBK are basically for anyone who doesn't want to compete in C SS/SBK or who want to race a smaller grid. This is understandable if you're trying to get a decent tow without the Thunder Dome contests divebombing you haha!

3. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

No, goddamnit. Just... no. :D

APO2112 likes this.
  4. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Yep! Thats the one!

JBall and Brad like this.
  5. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

For the most part, yes.

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Don't get to bitch about expense? Why not? It's the whole reason I quit sprint racing. I know, my problem...created by a delayed decision to buy the last GSX-R on the floor Friday - it was gone the following Monday. What did I have near-ready to go? A track-prepped Ducati that excluded me from SS classes, then I had to bring it up to full SB standards to be competitive...not an expense I ever want to revisit.

I'll take your clutch answers as an official ruling, tho' the rules don't mention reverting to a non-OEM standard clutch.

I'm a little unsure of the brake answer(s). Just to push it a bit, can I infer that a master cylinder from another model is also legal? :D

As for rotors, what company is gonna make 100% replacement rotors for the small contingent of racing customers, which will almost certainly consist only of WERA customers? (Maybe think about the customers you're losing because of that rule).
    Have you priced OEM rotors? Why would anyone spend that kind of money on a product that isn't up to the job? Based on my OEM rotor experience, on both Honda and Yamaha products, the only way I could ensure their trouble-free usage is if I replaced them every second or third time I replaced pads.
    Never had a failing issue with the Ducati rotors. To your answer, FZR1000 rotors fit the 996 and vice versa...does that mean I can replace expensive but inadequate OEM Yamaha rotors with quite adequate Ducati rotors? The carriers are not 100% the same design but the dimensions and materials are...
    At any rate, I think it's short-sighted to imagine any manufacturers using the 100% same identical rotors as their competitors...and the rotors on 1000s are likely already the best that manufacturer pr0vides - how does one improve upon that utilizing OEM offerings?

I may be harping on the brake issue a bit, but I feel it's an added detriment to a rider's budget, and possibly safety. Let me(us) know when you experience OEM rotors that have permanently succumbed to over-heating and shimmy the whole front end of the bike decelerating from WFO on a front straight, destroying fork seals/bushings and subjecting undue stresses and fatigue to other hard parts that likely didn't take this kind of abuse into consideration when they were designed.
    Street rotors are not race rotors and I think it's ridiculous to have to continue using them by mandate...or have I just been buying inferior motorcycles? It's not an issue of braking method so, what else could it be?

Not all of us can, nor want to, spend oil-earned money, but I'm sure all of us don't want to HAVE to spend money on an inferior OEM product.

I could go on...
    - 520 chain conversions, with aluminum r.sprockets = performance advantage. What's wrong with the OEM for racing applications? Nothing, mechanically. Cheaper to go 520 when replacing, too. Hmmm.
    - Suspension upgrades? Safety or performance advantage? Both. Expensive, but best bang-for-the-buck.
    - Clip-ons? What's wrong with OEM?
    - Replace OEM ECUs? $$$ AND a performance advantage. What's wrong with OEM?
    - ...<insert any other legal modification that increases performance advantages yet offers little to no safety advantage(s)>
    - ...<ditto>
    - ...<ditto>
    - Brake rotors? NO. You can't upgrade! Period! You can swiss-cheese the rear cuz no one uses them to advantage anyway. Is that that thinking? WTF?

What, if any, safety considerations follow these allowed performance modifications, short of those incurred by handling issues if retaining OEM suspensions?
    Why are you seemingly drawing the line on safety with the exclusion of better brakes? I would think their upgrade would trump any increased performance modification that doesn't also carry an increased safety factor.

Aside from "it's the rules", WHY is it "the rules"? Seems half-assed if promoting safety is any consideration.
    Being able to go faster is what racing is about, being able to control that speed seems like a necessary safety consideration that shouldn't be diminished by allowing all of the go-fast products, short of engine and frame modifications, and few of the whoa-fast products.

Expense considerations? If I want better brakes, I have to go SB? That's how I ended up with this frame of mind. Why can't we just buy the better brakes and forego a SB engine build and any other expenses a competitive SB allows?

As an academic pursuit, you know, so maybe we can all learn something that may inspire us to continue racing with, arguably, the safest race organization available, I state my case. I know, I know...when's the last time I raced with you? When I didn't feel compelled to build a full-blown SB just so I could rely on good brakes.
    I've raced with other orgs. I don't feel as comfortable with those outfits, particularly, that one that happens to be your main competitor. Regardless that they allow unlimited braking modifications, there's more to safety than equipment. Seems a shame to lose customers to them over what may be considered to have a safety aspect.

FWIW, every wanna-race rider I've encouraged to go racing with WERA, vs other orgs, hasn't. Their leading argument is all the safety wiring. I explain to them how it's in their best interest. They see that, then hit me up with the brake argument...and I got nothin'.

ToofPic likes this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Please, no! :D

8. fastfreddie

Pourquoi pas? ;)

9. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

TL;PL......

10. fastfreddie

11. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Let's go back to the good old days. We have production and Superbike. Production gets rear shock springs and front springs, because those are safety items. The production springs may not be right for us fat boys. Everything else needs to be as it comes from the factory. Stock bodywork can be added to for oil retention and removed headlight hole covers. That's it, lets go racing.
    Here are some potential questions and answers;
    Can I use SS brake lines? Nope, if your brake lines are old and crappy, your dealer will sell you new ones.
    Can I use a chain size that isn't stock? Nope, if your chain is worn out your dealer will sell you a new one of the correct size and length.
    Can I use different sprockets? Nope, if yours are worn out your dealer will sell you new ones.
    Can I use aftermarket brake pads? Nope, most dealers stock brake pads.
    My GSXRCBRZXRRXYZ isn't competitive if I am not allowed to change XXX, so can I use Brembo? Nope if your chosen bike isn't competitive, get one that is.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Use your French. :D

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Do we get to run D205’s as well? :D

14. fastfreddie

In the past, Mongo had stated a desire to run production classes, but it's not in the cards.

As far as drawing new customers or keeping current/past customers, very few rider's bikes are stock anymore, short of trackday novices and they ain't goin' racing any time soon.

15. fastfreddie

My French? I got that shit off Google Translate. :D

16. The Todd

The Todd It's 'The Todd'

So, would my K9 MC and K9 Monoblocs- on my K51000 be legal in SS? It's not really 'aftermarket' LOL

17. The Todd

The Todd It's 'The Todd'

Did the OP say the MC makes no difference, but then say he want's the Aftermarket MC;s to be legal anyway, even though- according to him- it makes no lap time difference? Did I read that correctly? LOL

418 and TurboBlew like this.
  18. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

:rolleyes: - just couldn’t pass the chance to type K5 and K9…

EDIT but you forgot to say GIXXER.:crackup:

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

your complaint about the MC rule in WERA is laughable as your words so eloquently stated. Then you go on to plead your CCS case for a whole page... tl;dr .

20. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

No, I think Tech had things in control after Graham set up the testing system.
    This year, NEMRR put out a schedule that in included two rounds that scored points in more than one region. It was decided that in order to eliminate the hassle of changing things to be in compliance with NEMRR or CCS, our rules were changed to be more in line with CCS. Not just the fuel, either. Go through the rulebook and find the other changes. Start with coolant additives.

Kurlon likes this.