1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we talk about Masters?

Discussion in 'General' started by APO2112, Aug 3, 2021.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

What cracks me up is the people who think they need the aftermarket master when even the stock stuff is better than pro level brakes from not that long ago. Ya, the aftermarket masters are nicer but if you think that is what is keeping you off the podium at a club level you are headfucking yourself. Whenever I see the "I need..." threads I think of things like Polen winning everything in sight in the old GSXR Cup series and then when he was protested it was found out that not only was the bike stock but it was badly in need of a tuneup and completely worn out.:crackup:

2. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

1) If some percentage of riders will enter 1-2 more classes per day, because their CCS/MotoAmerica compliant bikes have aftermarket master cylinders, it will result in greater revenue for WERA and greater grid sizes/competition for the field.

2) If some riders skip some WERA rounds because they don't want to modify their CCS/MA compliant bikes, making the rules more similar between the orgs could encourage some of these riders to participate with WERA.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

1 - not good enough to piss off the currently legal riders or to drive away riders who would then think they must get the aftermarket mc to be competitive.

2 - something like 80% of our classes are already superbike so they have plenty of places to run, not being legal for one class is not the reason they're not running our stuff.

4. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

The only real advantage I see is cost of replacement in case of crash(es). Same issue with muffler(!!!).

Replacing OEM parts can be expensive.

Otherwise, no real advantage, specially in club racing.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Replacing with new can be expensive but are they really more than a nice Brembo? Either way ya'll need to learn what the word "used" means - putting new on a racebike unless you're in a huge time crunch is just silly. Especially with all of the tons of brand new stock stuff sitting around track day and CCS racers basements/garages.

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I think guys who have ridden only modern sport bikes need to spend some time on a vintage bike or anything with drum fronts. Stock MCs will feel like it’s NASA made :moon::D

motoracer1100, TurboBlew and crashman like this.
  7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

From what I can see a new OEM master for newish GSXR's is about $180 and you can find never used ones on ebay for $130. The least expensive non adjustible Brembo is about $230. For most it is about bling. I know the last stock master I trashed was replaced by a Brembo because I wanted it, not because I needed it. :crackup:

RichMangus likes this.
  8. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Master! Master!

That's all. I sing that every time I see this.

I bought a brembo and never installed it so I'm too lazy to be in this fight.

9. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Wow, that was like zero - hypocrite in 6 posts. :D

10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:No hypocrisy here. I admitted that I purchased the shiny bits out of want, not need. It will take alot more than a fancy master cylinder to make me fast!:D

rd49 likes this.
  11. Tyson10R

Tyson10R Well-Known Member

People that cry about aftermarket master cylinders crack me up. I have run an oem master on my R6 and am able to out brake most people I race against or just as deep as people with aftermarket master cylinders. I just bought an aftermarket one because I am curious to see what it feels like on my bike, I haven’t ran it yet.

Lets be honest here, if you’re losing races, most likely its not your opponents master cylinder making the difference.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    dhpiper478 and spoon32 like this.
  12. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

I have no skin in the game here as we bring up the same topic at our club out West. I will say the adjustability alone makes an aftermarket a better solution, but totally get that there are a few riders out there using OEM pumps just fine. I'm just not one of them.

13. dhpiper478

dhpiper478 Well-Known Member

I have been on stock brakes since I started. I have never thought about those faster than me having an advantage due to aftermarket brakes.

I do agree new OEM rotors are expensive and I have bought 3 used sets which all of them weren't straight enough to be used in a race. About to buy some new Galfer Waves now bc I am over it and 2 of them cost less than 1 stock OEM at the price I am getting them.

A good bit of our grid (C) is using aftermarket brakes (MC or rotors or both). But I would never think I am at a disadvantage because I am on stock. It is not helping anyone in Wera to have aftermarket brakes except maybe a handful of the top lap record setting guys in reality.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Fitfo.Pat and Tyson10R like this.
  14. dhpiper478

dhpiper478 Well-Known Member

Curious as to why the people in the back always want an excuse as to why they are in the back...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tyson10R likes this.
  15. Tyson10R

Tyson10R Well-Known Member

Couldn’t agree more. Aligning with Moto America rules makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhpiper478 likes this.