1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying an Airplane?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steak Travis, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Jed

Jed mellifluous

So on landing you deploy flaps. Those give you added lift which means you can fly slower. Lowering the gear adds drag of course and slows you. So in a 'dirty' (gear down and flaps deployed) configuration you have extra lift and drag and angle of attack. Planes are rated for minimum and max speeds in various configurations so you don't damage things while flying.

Based on a quick read it looks like the pilot deployed flaps and gear, slowed more than he probably realized, then turned off the final line to do a go around. As he was turning he picked up the gear and brought in the flaps to get the plane 'clean'. Gear up is fine, but with the flaps retracting , starting to turn, and his speed already below minimums he probably stalled nearly immediately and didn't have enough time and altitude to correct.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Thank you for the explanation. I figured he stalled based on the speed and what I read, but didn't realize the other pieces of the puzzle, as I'm airplane ignorant.

3. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I mean, it's no Vespa with a sidecar, but I guess it's an alright way to travel.

ChemGuy and rd400racer like this.
  4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

What do you think she rolled up to the interview on?

[​IMG]

(this isn't RD's daughter. :) )

rd400racer likes this.
  5. Jay Hodge

Jay Hodge Well-Known Member

image0.jpeg

I know some of you guys dig airplanes. I picked this one up the other day and brought her home. It's a Yak 52TW

Rugbydad, Gino230, ChemGuy and 2 others like this.
  6. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Nice!! I believe that has the M14 in it? How are the parts availability for those? Congrats on a nice airplane! I’ve got mine for sale to move on to the next machine.

7. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Don’t I remember that you had one before? That’s an interesting airplane and, in my opinion, a lot of fun for the money.

I’ve said this here before, but I worked through so many airplane feelings with out buying one. Which is unusual for me. :) The Yak was one of those. First I was stuck on a T28. I would have sworn I was going to buy one. I managed to get that out of my system. Then one of the guys I work with in the aviation business sold his CAP10 and bought an Extra 330 and I was like… hmmmmmm. Somewhere in there we had a customer with a Staudacher and that had my attention for a second. Another guy I sold an airplane to had a Super Decathlon and that started to make more sense. The Yak52 was mixed in with all of those as one of the more reasonable options. Somehow I managed to make it through all of that without buying anything! Haha

8. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

I never knew the yak came in a TW version. It looks great in that configuration.

9. Jay Hodge

Yep, it’s an M-14PF, meaning it’s got 400 hp from the factory. This one has the high compression pistons and a few other mods that got it up to 448 on the dyno.

What are you selling, and what are you looking for?

parts availability hasn’t been s problem, and I hope it remains that way!

I still have my Yak 55, you can see it behind the green one, if you look close enough!

Steve, if you had a chance to fly that Staudacher I bet that was hard to pass on.

I agree that the TW version looks a little better than the nose dragger version, but will always have a soft spot for a regular Yak 52.

Jay

10. Jay Hodge

A674F0BE-5E88-4FBF-A317-40F15E856ED1.jpeg

Still room for an RV-4. Never should have sold the one I had, what a great little airplane .

11. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Come out of Central Ohio? Looks familiar.

12. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Certainly the best choice of the options you mentioned IMO.

13. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Definitely easier to live with! Haha

I had access to a Carbon Cub at work so that helped scratch that itch. Actually, after being responsible for that thing, it cooled my desire for any of them. That airplane kinda sucked.

14. Jay Hodge

No, Tulsa OK

vfrket likes this.
  15. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

a cub or a husky seems
    Like it’d be cool for about 6 months. I’d still like to fly one though

16. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

What didn’t you like about the Carbon Cub? Never flown one, it seems like a cult following. Flown original Pa-18’s and love them, interested to hear your take on CC’s. Current whip is a kitfox model 7.

17. Jay Hodge

How do you like your Kitfox? A buddy of mine is looking at one. His wife is a sport pilot, but seems to have no interest in learning to fly their RV-6. She flys a 7AC champ.

18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Those are some beautiful airplanes! I get the itch once in a while, my brother sold his Seneca and between the two of us we could get some use out of whatever we bought. @SteveThompson I think I have been down the exact same path as you, if you add in a Chipmunk it would be a lock. Hangar space is so out of control expensive down here that it's really hard to justify the fixed costs unless you fly alot.

Jay, does that Yak still have the pneumatic starter? Or did they get away from that?

19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Ask if you can park it at work??? :D

20. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

I like the Kitfox a lot. Neat play airplane with awesome visibility. Quite a bit more squirrelly than a champ, but the performance is night and day better as well. I just put it on Barnstormers, I’m needing to go to a traveling machine (Rv-8).
    Can’t get a pic to upload currently..