1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying an Airplane?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steak Travis, Aug 6, 2020.

1. 27

27 Well-Known Member

His commitment to his Honda when everyone was on Suzukis was a tiny example.

I didn’t know him well but always had lots of fun on and off the track with him, especially at Mid Ohio as we both considered it our home track. He was close to the Bell boys and Myron introduced us.

The news of his tragedy made me try to enjoy every moment even harder. Sorry for your loss Wanker, glad you’re able to keep living the memories you made and honor him with the celebrations of his life each year.

2. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I think we’re speaking different languages ;)… GA? Not Georgia, General Aviation? You still in Indiana? It’s been a long time since we chatted for sure…

I still think we could’ve fit that R6 into that new Piper you were flying back from Osh Kosh when you stopped to buy it :D

3. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Haha. Yeah. General Aviation. I still live in Indiana.

I remember that. It was in a new Seneca 5. It would have been one of the last Senecas ever made.

27 likes this.
  4. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Airlines are really safe. Charter operators is a bit hit n miss depending on the operator. Corporate flt depts are usually good. Your neighbor with a 172 is nowhere the level of safety as airlines.

418 likes this.
  5. 27

27 Well-Known Member

now that we have the codex… :D

I was amazed at the cost at that level of technology of that Seneca… and I knew/know nothing about planes obviously.

That was still the coolest arrival reason of anyone flying into that podunk airport, to get a 4FR racebike :bow:…and that’s saying something too as Akio Toyoda flew into there in their G6 bringing ninja shit from Japan as an appreciation for the retiree that they gave the dealership to. I mean that was cool too and he liked the Superbikes and knew the sport but he didn’t buy one :D

It was my first season with Toyota and I had no idea who he was or what was going on behind the scenes back then.

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

My nephew, his boss, 2 co-workers, and the pilot died in a chartered plane 2 years ago. The plane owner was a doctor that did the charter business as a side job. They left Greenwood Indiana and was flying to Michigan, they crashed at the start of the runway in Michigan, they ran out of fuel and dropped a few hundred feet from the runway. There was 1 survivor, he lost both legs. Sad day.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. SteveThompson

I’m intimately familiar with that accident. The airplane did not run out of fuel.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  8. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a stall on short final to me.

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That was the statement from the NTSB. The passenger weight capacity was 200 lbs over the limit and too much fuel was used, the pilot thought he could've made it. It was in 2019.

10. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Razr likes this.
  11. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Good on you for going right to your highest number! Skip all this back and forth weaseling about price.
    Chemguy, you should consider the offer. The GA market is on fire, but the market for Cherokee 140’s is never great:)

ChemGuy and baconologist like this.
  12. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Low and slow man, low and slow!

ChemGuy likes this.
  13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

While I ahve been know to do some....ok lots...of hmmmm...fiscally imprudent things....I am actually trying to MAKE money with this thing.

I think I finally have an idea of how to execute the FAA paperwork. So that is step 1.

Step 2 will be getting the engine loked at and maybe fired in the next couple weeks.

Then it goes from there to sell it or spend way to much on it.

14. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Get it to ferry permit level and throw it on Ebay.

15. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Get the paperwork straight, then sit on it. If the new LSA regs go thru the value will go up. Otherwise, maybe i’d go $500

16. SteveThompson

I want to be sensitive when I’m talking about someone you cared about. However, I think the truth is important. The NTSB report says nothing about fuel starvation. This is a decent summary if you are interested. I wouldn’t blame you for choosing not to read it.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2019/10/socata-tbm700c2-n700aq-fatal-accident_8.html?m=1

Unfortunately, I am very very familiar with this accident. I don’t believe I ever flew N700AQ, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I did. I’ll look when I get home. I have flown a lot of C2 TBM’s.

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I’m not a pilot. I read that entire thing and figured there would be an idiots guide synopsis?

I probably don’t understand all the terms, but I was surprised they landed in a field and didn’t survive? If I read it correctly and understand the terms, the landing gear wasn’t even down and they were going too slow under 70 knots. I don’t remember knots to mph conversion, but I seem to remember the two times I’ve been on a private jet the pilot telling me, as I was in the co pilot chair, we should be going around 100 at landing, is my memory right? I don’t remember if it was 100 mph or knots? It was a jet both times, but I couldn’t tell you which one, just know it was a multi million dollar plane, and he is in the plane sales business.

I do remember asking him, if he had a heart attack, what I should do? When we were in the air he took it off auto pilot and let me fly for awhile. It was enough after a few minutes for me to slightly understand and honestly it wasn’t nearly as enjoyable, like I imagined it would be. It was more enjoyable when we were on auto pilot and I would listen to the radio with him and key in the different numbers into the computer for different headings. Maybe they are called vectors?

He claimed if he died, I could get on the radio and they could talk me down? Surprisingly, he said it’s not really that hard to land, and he was fully confident I could do it? On that trip, we flew from Long Beach to their second home in Colorado, and I had enough practice that the next time we all flew together, another dad sat in front. Lolol

Last edited: Aug 15, 2023
  18. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

They got a new toy where my daughter works last month.

[​IMG]

Gino230 likes this.
  19. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Southwest opening a nashville base. time to pick up some more overtime and get some hours! Im about 2 months away from having the hours to get looked at

Boman Forklift and ChemGuy like this.
  20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification.