1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying a new vehicle from a dealer.

Discussion in 'General' started by jd96, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

We sold right at 600 cars last month. Because we advertise the lowest prices this side of the Mississippi river, we work customers from all over. We can generally tell when they just want our price to take to their local dealer. We just quit responding on those, as its just not worth it.

2. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I hate buying vehicles.... I do not get much free time and do not care to spend it sitting in a office negotiating. I call a dealer, ask for a sales person, tell them what I want, ask them to come up with numbers and call me back. If I am buying a vehicle, I typically know more about it than the sales staff. I don't need to test drive it or see it. It works out 50% of the time. The wife will probably be getting a new car before next spring.... and I am not looking forward to the wasted time. I typically have an Excel spreadsheet with prices, interest rates, payments, and consumer reports ratings on anything we look at. It also is a deal breaker if they start talking to me about the car. I clearly state "She is picking a car, I am here for the numbers, talk to her about the car." Another annoying thing is even after I put all my cards on the table, 50% of the sales folks still use pitches and tactics. I have perfect credit and have zero interest in what the payment is. I can make the payment any number I want it to be. One dealership actually had the GM come out and ask my wife what she needed 2 different cars for.... ???? (We own multiple vehicles) I provided him some feedback... If we buy a Ford, I will probably just call Kris87....

3. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

That's a joke, right? I can't imagine we have a Ford guy picking on something with a Cummins diesel in it. :crackup:

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Or a Jeep or a Dodge :D

5. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Nope and already got a few diesels.

6. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

This is exactly why we do not just "give out our best price" in the Luxury stores I manage. Typically , there aren't many stores in each state and if you have someone calling from a state away they'll take the great price you quote them and walk into their local dealer with it . That dealer then matches the price and they buy there. ( We know this because with our OEM we can track "lost sales" ) . All of the people in this thread exclaiming " why can't it be easy like this?!?" , believe me , no one wants a sale to be easier than us! In theory all these ideas work great, in practice , not so much.

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

This is interesting in another way.

Last week, my wife and I walked into the Jag dealer as we both wanted to check out the F type coupe. We didn't test drive it, because it was raining, and also since I was in sales for over 20 years I don't enjoy stroking a sales person, unless I think I'm a buyer. The sales guy was pretty awesome, no high pressure, nothing annoying. The one we fell in love with is red, with 20 inch wheels, red brake calipers...which my wife loved, AWD, supercharged, some limited package I can't recall the name of, and had an incentive from the factory already listed.

When I left, I actually walked into the GM/Sales Manager's office, and told them how good of a job I thought the sales guy did, very informative, low pressure, etc.

We then went into the Audi dealer up the street to look at Q3's and Q5's, because my daughter wants to buy herself one after she gets out of college. Told the salesperson that we were looking for our daughter to learn about them. He was very helpful, pulled up some CPO's on the computer for us, etc. We let him know this was for our daughter, we weren't buyers today.

Same great experience. I'm not sure if it was just because these aren't entry level brands, but the dealers are training sales people better.