1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying a new vehicle from a dealer.

Discussion in 'General' started by jd96, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have to admit, I like Carmax. Good prices on trades and it's a take it or don't offer. Bought a couple of vehicles from them as well over the year. I don't like haggling or really even making offers, if I like the price I buy, if I don't I walk.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Which is why I've bought my last what - 4 trucks and a van from Akins? I'd have bought the Jeep there too but they had what I wanted for a good price closer to the house. When they make a diesel JK I'll be calling :D

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I actually like haggling. Its a bit of a rush, win, lose or draw.

BigBird likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's why they're great for our trades - Evelynes cars are mint and they pay well for them then they go on their lot for a high price :D

5. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

I don't disagree, but I think you'll see the market shift dramatically before you're out of the business. There will always be negotiations, and people who love them, but the majority of mellinnials don't want to talk to anyone, much less negotiate with them.

Carmax, truecar, carvana, ect, have shown that the market can scale the "Less BS" model. It may not be the majority, but it's certainly a viable enough group of consumers.

BigBird likes this.
  6. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I'm an old fart somewhere between a boomer and gen-x and I hate "negotiating". Buddy of mine just did the Carvana thing and raves about the experience.

dickie doo likes this.
  7. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

There's no in between. You're probably a boomer. :D

8. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how the Tesla model fairs over time.

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Born in 66 so it depends on whose definition you use. Most say 64 was the last year, others say later years.

10. Kolbe

Kolbe Well-Known Member

Most of the millennials we deal with here don't try or even understand what negotiate means. They just demand a lower price, especially with used cars.

11. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I'm like Sean either I like the price or I don't. I'm usually in at retail but If I can get a better price thats a bonus. I usually won't even ask for a price if I'm not willing to pay what they have it on the internet for. Akins/Kris has always hooked a brother up.

V5 Racer likes this.
  12. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Please don't refer me any of your friends. I need customers who will pay a small profit.

Sean and Ev were great customers. I built enough profit in their deals for a year of entry fees, and cut a check to myself afterwards. Wera basically sponsored me. :D J/K but damn I should've tried that at least once.

13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

A client of mine let me drive one that he won for the weekend.

HO-LY SHIZZLE!!!! The acceleration is one of the best feelings I've ever had. :crackup:

I matted that thing, and we were both giggling like schoolgirls.

It was crazy awesome!

JTW likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: Then you'd see Evelyne go into negotiation mode and walk :D She is good at that stuff and has her idea of the right price, we walked on a Toyota SUV once went down the street and bought a Grand Cherokee - next day the Toyota dealer was calling all day saying they could do the deal...

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I think part of why that can work is they are selling used cars. They can build in so much money for profit and you can't say but your cost is XXXX and I will only pay YYYY and there are 100 other dealers with the exact same car.

I'm not in the car business, but I know in forklifts, you can make much more money on used sales vs. new sales.

16. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Exactly

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That's exactly right. No two used cars are the same. Lots of new cars are the same.

18. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Has anyone else experienced the following: Get an email from the dealer's GM asking how my experience was...tell him I'm still in the market for a new truck and then he hands me off to one of his "best" guys who corresponds with me a few times and then just stops. I've experienced this a couple times so far and it is after i give them the specs of what I'm looking for and then ask them to price it out. I'm trying to give these guys money but it's like they can't be bothered. I don't think I should have to chase anyone here. What's others experience?

19. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

Lmao Ive been trying to buy this fucking truck since saturday. Almost went and bought a 30k used diesel today instead of financing the XD, Nissan sure has been dragging their feet on the credit approval.

The finance guy is lucky he called me today to arrange a pickup date.

I dont get it, I make great money and have a 760 credit score. Seems like some people go home with vehicles they werent even planning to buy... Apparently I can barely buy a truck they barely manage to sell.

20. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

May be due to start of the month, not in a rush to get sales?

I've always bought privately but recently bought new, spent a day negotiating with 4 dealers and got them fighting each other, it was good. Then got the local dealer to match the best of them. If they didn't I still had an awesome deal, and if they did it was icing on the cake. Great outcome.