1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying a new vehicle from a dealer.

Discussion in 'General' started by jd96, Oct 25, 2016.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Yeah, but Wal-Mart's prices aren't negotiable, car prices are. I've never seen a grocer advertise a no haggle price.

2. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Just making the point that we can't lose money arbitrarily on one unit because the customer wants us to, then make it up by overcharging the next customer. ( I'm saying this because this a real line used by customers DAILY in this business) .

3. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

My biggest complaint about the buying process was
    the "back and forth " that went on when I purchased my last truck....
    "I'll see what my manager can do" etc.
    I walked out after an hour while this shit was going on...
    Man, it's 2016. Are these guys a bunch of dinosaurs?
    Sit in the truck, feel the leather, blah, blah...
    I went home, called different dealers until I had a guy who would work with me on the phone...
    99% of the dealers I called wanted me to come to the dealership....

It's such a waste of time to have the buying process take 3 hours...

4. eggfooyoung

Getting A plan makes the process much quicker. :D

5. Kolbe

Kolbe Well-Known Member

If you could shop for groceries like people do for cars you would.

6. GrayGhost

I never understand how that happens .I strive to run every transaction like a real estate purchase would be done and treat you as if you were in a five star hotel. If you come into my dealership , my salespeople are trained to not discuss price whatsoever until a vehicle is picked out ( if you already know EXACTLY what you want, that's fine too , we'll pull it up , verify and off we go) . Then we print a proposal for them to go over with you at MSRP - rebates. If that won't work , then make us an offer , if we can take that offer then we sign papers and you're out in an hour or so.

Kolbe likes this.
  7. eggfooyoung

Gee. Really? And if car prices were fixed, people wouldn't attempt to negotiate.

8. GrayGhost

Incorrect . Many car companies have tried this . You're not thinking about the fact that 60% of car sales have a trade in and people simply did all their negotiation on that side when Saturn and others tried a one price no haggle structure.

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I tried used my droppings as a trade in. The Kroger around here didn't see the value in it.

10. eggfooyoung

I get what you're saying, but if all manufacturers agreed to it, then that's how it would work. Consumers don't decide if prices are negotiable, retailers do.

11. GrayGhost

Open a dealership and make it work :D . You'll learn very fast that no matter how many people talk about it like you do , day to day people will still come in and negotiate ad naseum over cars. Saturn tried it , GM tried it , Lexus has even tried it . People simply aren't ready to accept that they can't haggle over a car. They go down the street to the next dealership and ask for free floor mats or free roof rack or "buy my tag" . Believe me if there was an easy way out of haggling, we would have done it. It would make my life much easier to only have to pay " order takers" a salary to "facilitate " agreed price orders rather than train and pay commission to the sorts of people that are good at negotiating .

Kolbe likes this.
  12. eggfooyoung

I'm on it. THEN I WON'T NEED YOUR STUPID CARFAX'S, I'LL HAVE MY OWN!!!!!!!!!!! :moon:

:crackup:

13. GrayGhost

LOL! You'll learn to hate Carfax too . You'll trade for a really nice car then Carfax will add an "accident" to it that was really just a lady grazing the bumper in a parking lot then having it touched up . THEN when you try to sell it to someone, their smart ass brother in law will be all " Umm we're going to need to see the carfax! " . After that will be 3 hours of him telling you the car isn't worth shit because it has been wrecked. .....he then goes home and posts on his favorite forum that ABC dealership gave him the run around all day and he had to walk out on em! Then bought a car over the phone elsewhere............

Kolbe likes this.
  14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I thought we were talking new cars. Used cars are even worse. No one ever eats half a can of beanie weenies, trades what is left in on a new can while some schlep comes behind them trying to negotiate a deal when he doesn't know why the other half of the can didn't get eaten. Maybe there was an undisclosed turd in that bottom of the can. Nobody wants to pay top dollar for a turd.

15. Kolbe

Kolbe Well-Known Member

That is how its done at all the local groups up here. Even though it is heavily advertised people still try and negotiate off the no haggle price.

At the end of the day the consumer wants a fair price and the dealer is looking to make a fair profit. The amount of information on the internet has made car buying an easy process if you manage you're own expectations. As GG has said, if you go in expecting the top of the line car for the base car price your partially to blame. There are many many Good dealers that want to take care of people vs getting the most in one transaction and never calling them again. Remember they are people (and racers :D) who want to earn a living to provide for their family and have some money for some fun, just like any other job.

16. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Geez...no one wants to haggle....until it's time to buy...then they want to haggle. Doesn't matter to me. My store is a pure volume store. We are the price whore. No negotiations on my price. I tell everyone that wants to haggle, if you don't buy it, someone else will. And they do. Makes it easy that way. Next man up as they say. :D

Kolbe likes this.
  17. keevo54

keevo54 Well-Known Member

I just send emails to fleet manager or online sales manager. I go back and forth that way. The go in with a check for a little less than the best deal I can do online and go to work. Normally signing the paper work within thirty minutes of walking in the door

18. keevo54

keevo54 Well-Known Member

Which dealership are you at? I think I'm local to you and always in the market for a new car lol

19. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I'd rather not say. Your strategy you use wouldn't work at my store. But, on a positive note, I could turn your 30 minute process into 5. Easy peasy. :D

20. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Got a fleet guy on my last purchase, any more ford's I'll buy through him. No bullshit old guy without a filter, had a near fatal car accident a few years ago with a real bad head injury, which is where the filter went.... Great guy, told him what I wanted for the trade in, he looked at me and said they'll never take it, told him I figured as much and off he went. Came back in grinning and said anything else? :) Years ago when I bought a jetta, they'd been having them listed in the paper each week, came in said I wanted the one in the paper. Manager said it was sold, they'd be happy to sell me one just like it for 3K more. Dicked around for a bit over an hour then told them I'd come back next week for the one on ad. I worked at the paper so I got to see the ads before the papers were delivered. Next week I called the sales guy I'd been working with and asked if he had the car in the ad? He did, said I'd be down in a couple hours to fill out the paper work. :) My wife really liked that car, I was glad when it was gone.