1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best movie ever?

Discussion in 'General' started by ToofPic, Apr 24, 2023.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Just FYI... If you haven't seen it, look up "The Siege of Firebase Gloria". More R. Lee Ermy fun.

ToofPic likes this.
  2. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

So many good movies, I could really never come up with one "best". Criteria for "best" is an issue for one (funniest, culturally significant, best SFX, best story/writing, etc.). That is why they have so many academy award categories. There is definitely some good stuff in this thread.

I'm far from a movie "snob", but you can dig into just about any favorite movie or genre and find other gems. Sometimes the original movies that influenced a favorite are amazing. I came across a series of Italian "gangster/crime" movies that were very influential to Quentin Tarantino (including the pair of hit men in Pulp Fiction). They were amazing!

3. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

If you want to see a movie that really influenced Tarantino, try to find the 1956 film "The Killing." It's an early Stanley Kubrick movie about a robbery at at racetrack and you can see many similarities between it and Tarantino's films.

Smilodon and Hondo like this.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

It was on the other day and I got sucked into it again. I think as a kid growing up in the 60's it has huge meaning to me. Funny how every time I watch it I notice something I missed the time before, like the scene where the real Chuck Yeager is fucking with the Washington man. And I get choked up every time towards the end when they're searching for Chuck in the desert and the driver says "I think I see a man" and the captain replies, "you're damn right you do!"

5. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Mad Max and The Road Warrior are my votes. Nothing else is even close.

6. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Here ya go brother!
    George Miller penned and based the Road Warrior from this film...It was the catalyst for the MM series
    Screenshot_20230502-152707~2.png Some useless Trivia.:Pop:
    Don Johnson's 1st major role.
    The other "star" is actually Tiger the Dog from the Brady Bunch...lolo_O

7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Which was a short story by Harlan Ellison, since we like movies from books. BTW, the story was better than the movie.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  8. This old Rz

It's awfully difficult to compare mediums...totally different experience...
    But often the imagination can be more interesting than the visual...
    One abject total utter failure has been the attempts at the "Stand" such awful movies.....

9. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

10. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Not sure if this absolute gem has been submitted yet. LMAO

CAI.JPG

11. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Did enjoy the Rifftrax of this one!

12. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Howard the Duck. Just finally watched it beginning to end for the first time evah!! Seen the first 5+ minutes a few times way back then. Ho. Lee. Fah. K. That was awesome cheezy 80’z goodness!!!! :crackup:

13. 27

27 Well-Known Member

with pulp fiction you’re watching the same shitty movie over and over through different characters... I never watch a movie twice and that did PF in for me..

14. 27

27 Well-Known Member

best Nam movie is Jacobs Latter... it freaked me out as a kid and my uncle chose me to confide in with all his stories as an “advisor” real early over there, glad he could talk to me but damn man... really changed my perception of the entire war/country/vet scenario especially after watching him die from every ailment under the sun caused by agent orange

britx303 likes this.
  15. 27

27 Well-Known Member

dude... you ain’t right.. now watch that robot movie short circuit...

britx303 likes this.
  16. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Even better than the Moon Landing series? :crackup:

17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I tried watch the Big Lebowski again.....even got past the half way mark.....but that movie still sucked as much as the first 3 times I tried watching. :Puke:

StaccatoFan likes this.
  18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You must be a nihilist…

19. This old Rz

Pulp Fiction..really "Has No Equal"

It's just a masterpiece view of Americans, their tragic faults, weaknesses, addictions indulgence, patriotism bravado...etc..

it's a expose of what once was and what we've become, and told with no censorship..just in your face.

Everything is covered from a point way out in left field, but, but even though it's way out there...it still comes to home plate.

It's really a mic drop of a motion picture.

Not for everyone...I agree.

20. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

You’re under the impression these traits are uniquely American?

britx303 and 27 like this.