1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autopilot Tesla's killed 11 different people, 4 motoryclists

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

You heathen!!! AM radios

2. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

So it was 10 Teslas and one Ford and the Ford was confirmed not to have autonomous driving and it wasn't clear if in the other 10 incidents the autonomous features were being used or not? A lot of conclusions being drawn from an article with barely any real information.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Well, yeah. That's how the media operates.

brex and Rising like this.
  4. fastfreddie

That's active cruise control. The active part for my use is being able to turn it off.
    Standard cruise control is fine, unless the dipshit thinks they can use it on snow-covered ice.

5. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

The last time I was digging into this, there was no way to turn off the 'active' part of the cruise control for the car I was looking into. I like cruise control. I wont be stuck with only having active cc.

6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Very few, if any cars that have active cruise control can turn off the active part. The lawyers won't let that happen as you would be disabling a safety feature. Most new cars have it now. Just found a link, Consumer Reports says it is 92% of new cars as of November 2021, so probably more now. I guess you will be used car shopping.

How Much Automation Does Your Car Really Have? | Level 2 - Consumer Reports

The active cruise controls are getting better. The one in my wife's Volvo works pretty well. The one in an Enclave I recently rented worked well too. I just shut it off if I want to do something it isn't doing. I have to shut down the regular cruise control sometimes too, so NBD for me.

OTOH, the part that steers to help keep you in your lane doesn't work so well, so I leave that off unless on a long, boring, mostly empty, straight stretch of highway.

7. fastfreddie

Gigi, Yzass's Mazda 3, has both. Active is the default. To disable it, one must go into the safety menu every time you start the car, then it becomes standard cruise.
    I find "active" annoying on back road twisties with oncoming traffic and I find it annoying on the highway when overtaking traffic. Any other time I might use it (25mph), it doesn't engage the threshold of activation.
    I'd like if it could be permanently disabled/enabled with some button dance. Same with the stupid start/stop nonsense, but at least they gave us a dedicated button to kill that feature.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
  8. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

I guess I could just buy a bunch of new cars and lemon law them over defective cruise control

9. fastfreddie

No new car I'd be buying for myself would have active cruise or engine start/stop, period.
    You can still get them that way.

10. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

If you ride a motorcycle in California and take advantage of lane sharing, you learn to pay very close attention to Teslas and Arizona plates. Neither seems aware or concerned with giving way to motorcycles and both may to be trying to kill you.

As always, the onus is on the motorcyclist. If you rely on “right of way” or the awareness of other drivers (or technology) for your survival, you may not live very long.

Monsterdood likes this.
  11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

On Chrysler products, you have to actively choose Active CC vs standard, two different buttons on the steering wheel.

12. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

On my 2019 Tacoma, Active cruise is the default but, you can override it to standard cruise, by holding the button when turning on, until the active light turns to the std cruise light.

Since active cruise, is not a "mandated safety item" for the DOT, NTSB, you can have it disabled by the dealer, or there is the option for the user to disable it. Ski