1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autopilot Tesla's killed 11 different people, 4 motoryclists

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Greg ZX6R

Greg ZX6R Well-Known Member

Let's take this offline and circle back to it later.

tl1098 likes this.
  2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So, no one is curious here what the drivers were doing as their cars were approaching motorcyclists on autopilot? That's the part of this whole thing I am most interested in.

jasonhise, stk0308, 418 and 2 others like this.
  3. :crackup:

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Clearly not driving their damn cars... just like millions of people without autopilot

Gorilla George and ducnut like this.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Wait until an autonomous semi-truck is involved in something.

Even though trucking is my occupation, this technology scares the hell out of me. It’ll allow lazy drivers to be even more lazy, behind the wheel. All the wrongs will get exponentially worse. Last thing I want is an 80K pound truck up my ass, because the driver fell asleep or was looking at nudes on their phone, thinking the system would make up for their inadequacies.

dtalbott, 418 and Gorilla George like this.
  6. I’m surprised some OEM hasn’t already been in a lawsuit because the system didn’t recognize someone and ass packed them.

But I’m sure they have all of their get-out-of-jail-free cards ready to play.

418 and ducnut like this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You know, after watching videos of what some people do while their Tesla is in auto drive and finally seeing a chick reading a book while driving her Tesla is person with kids in the back seat, no.

These are Darwin Award candidates that are gonna take others with them.

BigBird and ducnut like this.
  8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Yep. Because shit happens.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Living their best lives.

BigBird and tl1098 like this.
  10. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

You are mistaken. It just backed the car up and hit them again to make sure it got the job done.

brex likes this.
  11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

C’mon, why the heck would you have it if you can’t go down the road watching the kardashians on your phone, or in my case reading the beeb and watching MotoGP?

hotnail likes this.
  12. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Will you be reaching out to interface over this?

Greg ZX6R likes this.
  13. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Not directly related to Telsa's autopilot, but still within the vehicle nanny control spectrum. There's a video circulating of a dude sitting in his full size pickup behind some other vehicles near an intersection. A car full of Compton choir boys on their way to church roll up behind the truck, hop out with an arsenal of weapons and start firing at the truck driver, Grand Theft Auto style. Dude in the truck hits the gas and tries to escape over the curb, but he's already close to the vehicle in front of him. The truck's proximity sensor activated the automatic breaking system, preventing him from departing. The choir boys filled that dude with $500 worth of lead while he sat there helplessly. Yes, ammo prices are still insane.

No thanks to all of the newfangled driving aids. For me, anyway. All the rest of you shitty drivers need a double dose of them :Poke:

14. Thats interesting. On the Jag (and I know the Porsche is the same, I already read it in the manual), driver inputs can override that stuff.

If the car tries to slow down or stop but you don’t want to, then hit the gas. If it tries to accelerate and you don’t want, hit the brakes. If it tries to keep you in your lane but you want to change, then turn the wheel.

If never heard of one that simply one let you make inputs.

But then again, I’ve never tried to nail the gas while directly behind someone.

15. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Check out the Youtube video Ryan from Fortnine put out a little while back about autopilot - it's focused on just this topic and he says in there that Elon has Autopilot set up to deactivate 0.5 seconds before impending impact JUST so technically the driver is in control at point of impact - what kind of whackjob monster sets this up?

BigBird likes this.
  16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

These situations could be as innocent as having to make a choice between going through a fence or having a Tesla t-bone ya. It takes time for the car's brain to disengage itself and allow the driver to override the "safety features".
    Fuck that. When I hit the horn, I want it to go full blast right then and there. Any later than that and the warning isn't delivered in a timely fashion...and now you want it to jump out of the hole at full throttle? "Hang on a sec, let me check all my sensors."
    :rolleyes:

:mad:

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

A smart one with input from some very expensive lawyers.

lawyers that forced all gas can production off shore and stickers on clay pigeon boxes telling you not to eat them. Not the ones that sue race orgs on behalf of winners.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    BigBird likes this.
  18. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Theoretically, advanced sensors and perception software should help identify motorcyclists and such much better enhancing safety, but practically speaking, automation can drive lower attention and negative training effects (degrading skills) creating new risks.

I suspect the general population of drivers are so bad, that even imperfect systems and software would create a big boost to safety, but like others have mentioned, the notion of a computer controlled vehicle killing someone is not an accepted risk or occurrence, but human error is an accepted risk of driving.

BigBird likes this.
  19. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Wonder how many motorcyclists were killed or died due to drunks? Gonna say it's probably way more than Tesla autopilot system....but we aren't all up in arms about that are we....:rolleyes:

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Who do you think really wants all this autonomous driving. They want 24 hour a day running trucks.

ducnut likes this.