1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asthmatic Man Who Sold Untaxed Cigarettes Dies During Arrest

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by BigBird, Jul 18, 2014.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

is Quincy ME back on the television? :D

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

and now its spread to selling smokes! :Poke: its an epidemic!

3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I am sure that the high tax on tobacco and other vices is simply motivated by the altruistic need of our benign government to protect our health. :rolleyes:
    I suspect that vice taxes have a disparate impact on citizens of low intellect. Where are their advocacy groups? You should have the right to be stupid in our great nation, dammit!

4. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

It's funny, if you're gonna call someone stupid and base your argument on a lie don't make it one that is easy to get caught. :crackup:

5. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Why is it illegal to sell your own property? (cigs)

I understand it upsets the tobacco companies and store owners but why is it illegal?

6. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

They were purchased out of state and transported across state lines without paying taxes. Also alcohol, tobacco and firearms are regulated in who can sell them. If you sell alcohol you've gotta have a liquor license for instance...

7. Fonda Dix

Thanks. I had no idea.

Thank goodness the auto makers let us resell their cars.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I don't think there is much of a market for used cigarettes, but who knows, it could work.

9. Fonda Dix

good point. They depreciate pretty quick.

10. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

I'll answer it. That's not a tough question. It's a stupid question. Cops don't pick up trash. They arrest people.

Your turn. What are the cops supposed to do? In the military you are allowed to disregard an illegal order. Do you see this as a similar situation?

One thing I've never read is what happened prior to the video. Did the cops try to issue a citation, try to get him to leave, anything?

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:D

12. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Get the f'ck out of the minds of the forum FTP'ers......bro's. You critical thinkers aren't allowed in there. :D

Your level of stupid is astounding.

Show me in any LE Agency's job description where it includes picking up [non living] trash? I'll save you the trouble JA, not in there. Wanna know what is? Enforcing the LAW..........we've just exposed Dung Sr.

13. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:D

14. Crackhead

Crackhead Expert

What did I miss in here this week? When did officer Blart come out of retirement and resume dispensing valuable expert advice to the Neanderthals whom he punished and deprived of his knowledge for several long weeks? :D

15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You have got to be kidding if you think ludicrous cigarette taxes are imposed for any "good" reason. The law is foolish because it creates a black market, just like Prohibition did. You do know that Prohibition had a few drawbacks that created many crime families and caused the general public to lose respect for the law, which is usually the result of bad laws.

16. In Your Corner

Well, their solution has worked out quite well, don't you think?
    I guess until they work out something better, they can expect more of the same. But hey, they're the experts.

17. In Your Corner

No you haven't, you just ducked the question, again. The question is, would you do anything you're told? The argument is that the cops had to do what they did because it was an order, so they have no responsibility when it goes wrong. My contention is that the cops can refuse to do the wrong thing.
    I specifically put the force of the legislature into the question, creating a law ordering the cops to pick up trash.
    My bet is that the union would refuse that order. Orders aren't always orders.
    Cops disobey them all the time.

18. In Your Corner

I don't see it as an illegal order, but as a stupid order that they should know is not going to help their respect in the neighborhood. The results speak for themselves.
    Cops aren't supposed to be the military, they are there to serve the public and need to maintain a positive relationship with citizens, unless they want to be viewed as the enemy. That is certainly the result in this case.
    These situations just scream for a person or two to exercise some common sense in the moment instead of "just following orders, what do you want from me?".

19. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I fully agree with you. You don't really think that the powers that be are smart enough to connect the dots though do ya? There are a lot of laws that are so frigging short sighted that it makes a thinking person whimper. My whole point is that there are people that think just as you, and also me, when it comes to a law that really isn't worth adhering to but we still have to do it.

My other point in this particular discussion is that the police have no choice in the matter when it comes to executing the Mayor's wishes. It was tragic how the case turned out but it wasn't just the fault of those officers that had to arrest the guy.