1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone using BST Carbon Fiber wheels?

Discussion in 'General' started by corvette95, Jun 15, 2021.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

How bumpy are the roads between here and Starbucks

TurboBlew, TLR67 and 418 like this.
  2. Za-Ham

Za-Ham Well-Known Member

Don’t aftermarket wheels have a service life? IE, use it for a certain amount of time then throw it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. WMRRA #22 - SH

WMRRA #22 - SH WMRRA #22

I think you are headed in the right direction when it comes to carbon wheels. Brand new out of the box they are 99% fine but when the wheels start to get marred by tire changes or micro cracks that when they fail.

4. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I seem to recall some type of warning label about this for a set of magnesium Magtan wheels as well...

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Yep...you should have a magnesium wheel checked for cracks every couple years or after any large lateral impact.

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Hell I broke a stock Suzuki wheel at road Atlanta...no way would I ride on Carbon... Unless you just want to get rid of them...lol

7. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I would probably shy away.

One of my friends is racing a S1000RR with the stock carbon wheels, crash at VIR destroyed both of them. He went to aluminum after that.
    Also heard tire mounting breaking another one (track bikes get a lot more tires mounted then street)
    This weekend at Road America another rider on a S1000RR had wheels break on a crash.

But I have also seen people race entire seasons on them. My opinion is to skip them and go for either OEM or forged wheels.

Monsterdood likes this.
  8. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Rather have it fail here?

[​IMG]

or here?

[​IMG]

or here?

[​IMG]

sorry i'll take the robot boots, cowhide, and full body armor over knee pads and sneakers and those velocities/heights any day... but be my guest haha.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So help me out here: what difference does it even make if you have wheels or not in those photos? I'm not even talking about a cracked wheel. I'm talking about a missing wheel. All I'm seeing there is guys base jumping without parachutes. You are out of your god damn mind if you think the comparison is valid. :crackup:

kangasj, Quicktoy and NemesisR6 like this.
  10. Sweatypants

haha well... in one of em' he's falling. in the other one, dude is just jumping off a cliff, and in fact lands on his wheels and/or bike where the frame is also made out of carbon. in the first one he's doing a backflip over a 74 foot canyon gap. he landed it. just saying, those are heavy impacts... but the crash one was to emphasize that I'd rather have a wheel failure on a race track, than a carbon failure THERE, that's all.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Oh, so you picked examples of your average Sunday morning mountain biker? You know, in the same way your average track day rider (Márquez, Nakano...) crashes at 210 mph at the end of the Mugello front straight? Got it. :D

Well, in the situations I would've been in, I would have much preferred my wheels to fail on a bicycle.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  12. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

You know how he rolls. Highly exaggerated scenarios.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

BST made OEM wheel for Triumph, amongst others, for what it's worth.

14. Sweatypants

regular people with ENVE wheels and carbon bikes ride there all the time and do most of those things. people that aren't sponsored and don't get invites to Rampage i mean. i dunno man, it doesn't really matter, what matters is the carbon holds up under extreme stress. i wouldn't worry about a BST holding up. that's it.

15. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

What Triumph came with BST's? LOL

16. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

AMEN brother,,,,Mic Drop!

I like all the comments about posers and Starbucks and garage Queens it's the same as when people rag on Ducati's or expensive Italian motorcycles.... Old school and I'm getting old too....lol

17. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Come here for free advice and you will definitely get what you paid for

fastfreddie and TurboBlew like this.
  18. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

I don't know what All the uproar is about, the man just wants to buy a bike with some free carbon wheels. Maybe they are just jealous jk.

418 and gapman789 like this.
  19. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Lightweight wheels make a huge difference, but carbon fiber would concern me. I have/had have, forged aluminum rims on a '13 RSV4, now on an '18 RSV4 Factory and on my '16 Tuono 1100 (street bike).

Those rims on the Tuono makes for a very lively ride on the street.

The RSV4's are known for their fatness, so the rims really make it feel much lighter than it is.

I'd ask the seller if he has the stock rims and see if he'll swap them out. Or, if you get the bike for a great price with the BST's, sell the BST's and get a set of forged rims and/or stockers.

20. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Any advice on who or where to have them checked out - have 3 sets of magnesium wheels all over a couple years old and one set has been down the road - would rather not find out the hard way they're compromised so would definitely appreciate any recommendations!