1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone using BST Carbon Fiber wheels?

Discussion in 'General' started by corvette95, Jun 15, 2021.

1. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

If the bike is in good shape, the wheels are irrelevant. Unless, the seller is jacking the price because of them. Personally, I’d make an offer like it’s stock.

cav115 likes this.
  2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Just my opinion, but there's just no way I'd be able to wrap my head around running any carbon wheelset on a trackbike. I know there are plenty who do, so more power to them.

A big part of my being able to enjoy the track is trusting the equipment that I'm on. For me, that comes from good maintenance and reliable/proven components.

Yes, carbon tech has come a LONG way in the last 10-20 years, but it is still a very human-centric process with some proprietary elements that are specific to each different manufacturer. It's not like forged aluminum wheels where they're just carving them out of a blank.

You do you....but carbon wheels are just not worth it for me beyond having bragging rights at the local Starbucks on Saturday night.

Quicktoy and cpettit like this.
  3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

It goes hand in hand with the quality of the question and it's part of the entertainment value. This isn't a scientific think tank you've commissioned

4. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Just buy the bike already, and post up pics. Please.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Double-edged sword. I think that if I was ever going to own a set, I'd want to know about every impact in its history. So, I guess, either I would have bought new (which was out of my price range) or passed. But, as a few have said, that was a long time ago.

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Systemic Smartassitude.

Quicktoy and StaccatoFan like this.
  7. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I'll just throw this up here...
    Manufacturing issues still exists.

A BMW owner having issues with BMW NA covering his defective wheels. Surprise suprise...

I've had magnesium wheels and they make some bikes feel 30 pounds lighter. Never had carbon before...

I like the advice regarding not paying a significant amount more for used carbon wheels...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    A. Barrister and Quicktoy like this.
  8. Phl218

Phl218 .

alu wheels can bend and get straightened.

CF wheels can break and become living room art.

pick your poison.

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Not so long ago...

I won't argue for the use of carbon wheels on anything other than a trailer queen. I've seen, firsthand, two S1000RR M Package bikes break wheels ($6700/set) at the track.
    The first one, after the rider went moto, he re-entered the track by crossing over the turn's exit curbing, near parallel to it at parking lot speed, and that was enough to crack the front rim at the bead. Tire pressure immediately disappeared in a puff of dirt. The crack wasn't some barely visible hairline, it was what you might see when fiberglas is shattered.
    The second one, guy blew a chicane, dropped it in the dirt and both wheels basically had the the spokes snapped and/or individually separated from the rims. Otherwise would have been a financially minor get off.

Sure you want to do trackdays on carbons?
    Say it...six thousand seven hundred dollars! You could buy a well-prepped, used race/track bike for that money and just toss it in the dumpster at the end of the day for no good reason...but why would you do that?
    (I don't know, nor care, what BSTs cost).

I have magnesium Marchesinis on a 996S. They're a noticeable difference over the OEM wheels and I have no concerns about them surviving a moto or highside detour, both of which I've done. Just an option to consider if you feel a need to lighten your steering burden and gain whatever near infinitesimal braking/acceleration advantages.

pfhenry likes this.
  10. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Scientific Think Tank! :crackup:Yep thats us. The all knowing beeb

Quicktoy likes this.
  11. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

people are jumping carbon bicycles off 60ft. cliffs in Utah. if you think your BST is seeing bigger impacts than that on a race track outside of yard sale'ing your bike, you're wrong. at the same time, "shit happens" and i've seen a few carbon mtb rims from the most expensive company crack from what would appear to be not THAT big of a deal. that's all i'll say about that.

some of the comments here seem like old men remembering things from an old time as if time hadn't budged and everything hasn't progressed. the amount of people who've witnessed a carbon wheel fail here are probably less times than i've seen WSBK/GP wheels catastrophically fail on camera and shred all the spokes apart. again... "shit happens."

TurboBlew and 418 like this.
  12. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Youre comparing a pedal power bicycle jumping at a bike weight of what, 10 lbs? Comparing to a 400 lb 200hp motorcycle going over 100 majority of the time.... Pretty silly comparison.

Quicktoy likes this.
  13. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

you should probably retake high school physics.

a 36lb. bike, with a 180lb. rider, jumping off a 6 story building and impacting the ground... is not silly. that 400lbs is on an even smooth surface almost the entire time. and the 200hp does not matter in the way you think it does unless you're clutch dumping it from a stop. nor does the speed on a flat surface. its cute though that you think it does.

also dudes drag race turbo busas with BSTs on them. but sure.... BSTs are a death trap and you know more than the engineers.

14. 418

418 Expert #59

How many times are we going to regurgitate this video?

I'm sure every S1000RR with carbon wheels has this problem. Because, internet.

Gorilla George and TurboBlew like this.
  15. 418

418 Expert #59

So going off road on a superbike will fuck shit up? Who would have thought?!?!

Also if you yeet a set of BMW Carbon wheels you can just buy the BST's for half price or go back to aluminum, nah?

16. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

IM

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

My superbike faired just fine. Must be a rider issue.

18. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

As long as someone asks me if carbon wheels are safe... it's less than 2 years old

Just my opinion. Deal with it.

But you feeling comfortable racing with carbon wheels means something, too...
    Maybe more than that video, so... there's that

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

First of all, there are so many variables at play that the comparison is idiotic at best. That said, I'd rather have a wheel fail on a bicycle than on a motorcycle. But everyone has their own tolerance for risk.

Quicktoy likes this.
  20. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Does the bike have a KN oil filter????

TurboBlew likes this.