1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Know of the SMARS (Southern Motorcycle Asphalt Racing Series) ?

Discussion in 'General' started by eric hunter, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Sure, I could Google it, but it wouldn't be near as much fun as Beeb'n it !

The reason I ask is that on Saturday night, the Montgomery Motor speedway had as their Saturday night for giggles'n grins a Motorcycle exhibition between stock car races. I thought it might be cool to show and ride for good old "WTF". From the MMS website, it looked like 10-15 Re'Tards out there..what could be more fun, huh?

Anyone know the group...if it is one ?

http://www.wsfa.com/story/19526575/montgomery-motor-speedway-ready-for-alabama-200-weekend

http://www.montgomeryspeedway.com/

2. I don't know about smars, but Id bet they have scmods. [​IMG]

3. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I think I heard about it a few weeks ago at a trackday. Headed up by Rob McClendon I think, and it is motorcycles on a paved oval nascar style track :wacko... But the last place pays out the entry fee, so you can make money, but at worst you are out an old set of takeoffs and some gas... assuming you dont crash into a wall.

4. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Pretty sure it's Rob's thing.
    Cohorn sent me some video, those boys have huge balls.

5. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Yea, I guess you could say I started it.....back up.

It used to be BIG back in the 90's but they mainly used dirt track bikes.

Now we use anything mainly motards and sportbikes.

ITS CRAZY FUN!!!

Currently I have it so that last place makes money.

Thats right, at some of the races, we've had over 30 riders and yes, last place made $$$

Usually tracks charge a $25 pit pass so last place will pay $50.

Its not much, but its better than nothing. At lease in most our cases it pays our gas.

So far the TRACKS FUCKING LOVE US!!! We always out on a hell of a show and with the exception of 2 events, weve had ZERO crashes.

A couple tracks have walls:( but we stay the hell away from them but its still dangerous.

The coolest part is during intermission, the crowds FLOCK to us to get ANYTHING they can. Pictures, autographs, tshirts whatever we have, they will get or buy!!!

Our next race is a HUGE double header in Opp, al wher ethe track owner is racing us fri-sat with the same purse.

Another cool part it that the $$$ is always there no matter what! Never been shorted, even if the bike count it low.

The track owners treat us like royalty. In some cases we run transponders at some tracks as well.

Its a pretty cool gig that I came up with to try to get some side racing and its really taken off.

Next year, I am going 100% legit. Right now, its kinda like, hey are you guys free this weekend and I get on the horn and let racers know.

6. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Damn you Tanner, beat me! Soon as I saw the title that's all I thought of :)

7. Robby-Bobby

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  8. :up:

9. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

10. 418

418 Expert #59

I can't believe I'm even asking this...

So what's the payout like?

11. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

WHERE THE HELL DO I SIGN UP!???!?!?!???? :up::up::up:

There's like actually PEOPLE in the stands..... WATCHING! :eek:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  12. Robby-Bobby

usually in most cases its $400-$500 to win then on back.

something liek that.

13. Robby-Bobby

14. Robby-Bobby

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is South Alabama Speedway in Opp, Al.

15. Robby-Bobby

Grand National rider Chase Sconyers repping the Dirt Track technique!

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

16. crazywolf450r

17. Robby-Bobby

Right now, at Mobile, which is 1/2 mile track, a sportbike is lap record holder and currently the way to go.

Shannon Norris looked VERY good at Opp, Al a month or so ago but tucked the front in the heat race so he was out. But I think for the most part, a Sportbike is the way to go (if you can corner low)

But I like riding my motard cause it slides all over the place and is sooo much fun!!

Kinda like comparing open wheel modifieds to late models in car terms:)

18. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Cool!

19. crazywolf450r

:rock: Well thats good news =)

20. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

OK i have a 1/2 mile track 5 miles from me. I am going to have to get ahold of them to start trying this there. Alway thought it would be fun, but after seeing the video, now I wanna do it!!! Mind if i send them a link to the video?? LOL.