1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody race a VFR400 ?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by cha0s#242, Jun 10, 2016.

1. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

"just about ready"
    Gee I have heard THAT before.
    BTW the guy cancelled my bid on the VFR. Not sure why. He sold it for what I had bid. :rolleyes:
    He was in Canada. Maybe anti American.

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yeah,yeah,yeah:moon: You have any idea how insane i'd be if I had everything 100% and nothing to do???? :p

3. britx303

We've already told you.......speedwerks:D

4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

What year CBR forks and shock are you using ?
    I just saw one for sale in the area and might be going to see it when he replies...

5. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I was running my CBR400 forks and bought a Penske from Traxxion on my CBR400RR. On the NC35 I was running the stockers, but the 600RR forks I believe bolt right up.

6. cha0s#242

I'm guessing they were conventional first gen 600rr forks ? Any idea if those fit the NC30 ?

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If you want USD's you can drop stock 600RR triples on but you will need a spacer made as the stem is longer or you'll need a stem made for them. You'll be 10mm short on offset however with the 600RR stock triples. It works but not as good as with the additional offset.

I have no idea if the conventionals are a direct bolt on. Never tried. USD's were always the plan.

8. cha0s#242

So my next question is this :

I just saw a 1990 NC30 in Kijiji. It has supposedly 20 000 kms on it, Tyga fairings, looks pretty cool but far from ogirinal. It would be mostly for occasional trackdays and the odd race, once in a while. Of course, I'd have to go through the whole thing and probably drop a few grand to do suspension and dyno tuning. What sayeth you ? Guy is asking for CAD $4500.

[​IMG]

My problem is we're running out of garage space...

ducatihottie999 likes this.
  9. cha0s#242

I finally went to see it yesterday, it's in okay shape, but would need a good checkup. What is the availibility of parts like swingarm bushings and other stuff that dries up over time ? Also, what is a good shock for them ? I know Nitron is selling one. Also, has anyone ever done a 17" rear wheel conversion ?

10. Venom51

Some parts are hard to find NOS. Lots of used stuff still running around and some pattern parts.. You can get a Penske from the guys at Traxxion for the rear. Tell them up front you are doing the 17" wheel on it and ask them to order a longer lower clevice.

11. TT2013

TT2013 Well-Known Member

There is a guy named Dave Moss who is a suspension guru located in California. You might have seen some of his youtube videos. Anyways, Dave Moss is prepping one for sale. Here is his facebook link https://www.facebook.com/davemosstuning/. I think he can help answer your questions about the bike and parts availability.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  12. cha0s#242

On my FZR400, the 17" conversion resulted in exactly the same diameter when I put a 160 on the 17 inch rear. Why would the shock need to be longer ? Thanks for the help.

13. Venom51

I needed a longer shock to get the overall geometry where I wanted it. It may not be necessary for everyone. It also helped create a little more ground clearance when the bike was on it's side. I track clearance the exhaust and foot pegs pretty quickly after we hit the track with it.

14. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Only if you like losing. :D The only FZR I lost too after getting up to speed on the ZXR400 was a fully built FZR400rr superbike with carbon wheels.

15. britx303

ZXR400........WANT!:D

16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I should sell mine but I can't seem to part with it. :)

britx303 likes this.
  17. britx303

I totally understand. No matter if I win or have my ass handed to me,I just couldnt let my 1st FZR400 go. I have others come and go,but not this one in particular. Honestly,Im not sure where I could run a zxr anyways.......but i'd like to race one anyways.