1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody race a VFR400 ?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by cha0s#242, Jun 10, 2016.

1. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I'm talking mostly NC30 here as the NC35 is not legal for racing over here.
    How are they in comparison to the FZRs ? Parts availability, mods required, etc. School me with what you got.

2. yamatr3

yamatr3 Well-Known Member

cha0s#242 likes this.
  3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

That's a nice machine indeed...

4. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

the NC35 is legal for WERA because... well I have raced one

They are about the same out right speed as a FZR400 which I have owned also. But to me, handle better.. They handle like a Honda. Great front end feel and planted in the turns. The only problem is that there is not a lot of info on the bikes and parts are harder to get than the FZR's You have to go to 400 Grey bike for the majority of info. The fronts are basically just shorter CBR 600 forks, the rear is basically just a CBR shock also. I put a 06 CBR600RR shock on my 35. I'm sure @Venom51 will be right along to further clue you in to what needs to be done.

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I beat one this weekend with my FZR? :D

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

First let's take care of the important issue. Obviously that VFR was broken in some way as we all know the Fizzer is incapable of beating the Honda. :D

Parts availability is getting more difficult. NOS parts are drying up. There are some pattern replacements for some but for others they are just simply no longer available other than used. Don't break second gear.

The aftermarket is ok for them but not as strong as it once was. Bodywork, rear sets, fairing stays and such can be had fairly easily via Tyga Performance. The guys in California are still pretty active and Mike Norman is currently trying to get enough folds together to do another run of his pistons manufactured. They have successfully found someone to supply rings for them. You'll have to put in some research time and do the digging but you can still successfully garner most of the stuff to keep one running.

They are awesome little bikes. Every bit the shrunken version of an RC30 you'd think they would be.

Now the question. Superstock or Superbike?

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The Poor Honda was making due with a stock motor after the superbike mill ate yet another crank. I think it's up to 4 that it's chewed up now?

8. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

9. Venom51

I'm going to print that out and wipe my butt with it. :moon:

VFR#52 likes this.
  10. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

go ahead...then you can deliver it to me when you grid up :crackup:

11. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

Contemplating one for the new CCS Vintage LW Class. There is one on eBay pretty cheap but I am well aware that the price of entry is not the price of racing one.
    Papa told me to ask on the Beeb as Venom51 and a few others might advise. Any help here?

12. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

The FZR400 is where its at!!:Poke::D

notbostrom likes this.
  13. grady anderson

You are a self confessed Yamaha guy. Your opinion is worthless. :p
    I do not know if I have owned more Hondas or Yamahas. Have two each at the moment. And I think the FZR400 is very cool.
    But with two of them making up the class they are....."mainstream"
    You know I like "unusual" bikes.
    Anyway, as Papa knows, it is barely Winter so I am just feeding a fix by shopping.
    Though I am high bidder......;)
    If parts are seriously hard to get it would still make a pretty cool street bike.

VFR#52 and britx303 like this.
  14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I have a nc30 and I can promise you parts are almost impossible to find, not hard. I also have a fzr400 and those parts are getting pretty difficult to find also.

15. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

We have 2 NC30's here that would make good race bikes, (stock bodywork is damaged etc)
    Contact me or moto2imports.com

16. britx303

Its gotta be north american market street legal:Poke: I know your game..........:p

17. grady anderson

Canada is in North America....last I checked...

Patrick Hannigan likes this.
  18. britx303

In all seriousness I do hope you do get either of the 400s,and speedwerks has what you need and they aren't like mine:D

19. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Vfr vs fzr is like sv650 vs hyosung 650.. And yes the Honda is the hyosung

Kurlon likes this.
  20. Venom51

That's weird the Honda never lost to a Fizzer when I was riding it. I did get beat by a dirt bike a few times and some Italian trash but never a Fizzer. :D

ducatihottie999 likes this.