1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

And some sooner than others e.g. ceramics. I'm not disputing its scratch & corrosion resistance and light weight. But in terms of it's toughness and ductility, it is poor. In a highly formed watch case? Great engineering but no thanks, not that I ever intend to drop my watch.

I suppose it may make these a great investment as there may not be many around in the future with all 4 lugs, who knows.

2. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I disagree. They are not failing in epic proportions. Dropping a ceramic watch does not mean it will break so on that account u are wrong. Horror stories out there like every other material. Very reputable watch companies utilizing ceramic.
    You don't like it don't buy it.

Ride safe,
    AAron

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

See, I use the GMT hand on my Omega and wish the steel bezel Rolex GMT had still been around when I got my Sub, I might have gone that way looking back on it.

I'm on a KISS kick right now. My perfect watch would be a gmt with a hacking second, a day/ date and styled like the big pilot but around 42mm.

4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Does IWC even offer a GMT besides whatever that stupid futuristic looking thing is? Imagineer or something? Seems odd for a pilot watch to not have a GMT hand, but I know shit about flying.

5. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Are you starting a new business venture?:Poke:

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

One of their pilot watches is a world timer but it's too complex and full of shit that craps up the looks. There is that Imagineer (or whatever it's called) but that's too far from what I want.

Selling FP Journes? :D

7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

1) I'm far more offended by that article than I should be.

2) That's not a watch.

3) A montblanc tourbillion??... puhlease. That's a worse purchase than the iwatch.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That article was stupid. It reminded me of a review for google glasses written by some dink who has already ordered a set and is trying to convince you that they're great even though the reviewer still hasn't seen a set yet. 18k gold, cheap for 18k gold, 18k gold. . . f@ck you in your 18k face, dork!

Spend $10K on a Rolex and you'll most likely get your $10K back in 20 years plus interest if you shop smart. Spend $10K on a gold plated iwatch and in 2 years it'll be in the draw with your google glasses, your zune and your ipad mini.

10. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

I wouldn't buy the base model for $350.

11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

:crackup: I knew I wasn't the only one.

12. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

You'll be able to purchase a gold "plated" standard iWatch from China on ebay in a few months for $500 :crackup:

Once in my life have I ever noticed a person wearing a smart watch.. and I instantly though about all the wind pant wearing smucks jawing into their bluetooth's in line at the supermarket... makes you look like a huge douche.

13. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

ooooooooooooooh

14. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

15. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

i'd love to get a breitling chronomat or a tag monoco, but little too much for me, i like the look of the tissot v8, has anyone bought one

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

just had to leave this here

Attached Files:

17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I've owned two Tissot watches. A T-Race that I never wore, and a Visodate that I returned immediately. Neither of them did anything for me.

The way I see it, there are three reasons to buy a watch. They are: Mechanical distinction, Aesthetics, and Investment. My favorite watches strike a nice balance.

I consider all three in varying quantities, but I find that every time I've purchased a quartz watch or even a cheap auto with aesthetics as the primary motivator, I've fallen out of love with it pretty quickly.

The standard disclaimer: buy what you like. Don't listen to watch dorks, we're clearly not rational. :D

18. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

So based on some of the posts, I started looking at the Hamilton Khaki models and really like this one.

Hamilton Khaki Pilot Watch

[​IMG]

I like the alternative "pilot" dial numbers as a different type of watch. I am looking for an automatic, leather band, and something that would go with a dark suit. I already have a metal band watch for dark suits and would like a leather band. I would prefer a black leather band on this one but that can be easily changed.

I also got a $100 off watches code for Amazon so this one would be $575 with ~$35 tax so about $600 OTD.

For a similar style and price point, are there any other watches someone would recommend? This seems like a good value to me.

19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I hate to be a fashion Nazi, but I wouldn't wear that watch with a suit. It's a great watch, but too big and busy for a dress watch. Dress watch should be minimal, under 40mm, and flat enough to fit under your cuff.

I did it wrong for years with a Mille Miglia GMT. This thread straightened me out actually. :D

Buy that thing and rock it in flip flops, t-shirts, commando chaps, whatever you're in to, just not a suit.

20. whitarnold

whitarnold Bike #137

When I was a Teen I loved Bay Watch! Before that it was Swatch Watches!