1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Touché

2. HRC-E.B.

HRC-E.B. Well-Known Member

In my view, that red Speedmaster (it doesn't even deserve the name) is not worth it.

It's got none (other than the Omega and Speedmaster names) of what makes a Speedmaster great. Not the same movement, not the same wonderfully balanced dial layout, not the same simple, legible design... It's proportions and legibility are off, and what is the use of a RED watch this pricey?

The only red watch I'd ever buy would be a G-Shock, and even then... red?

3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

You're just trying to hog them because Honda.

4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I have a Honda Racing Seiko Sportura. It's not red.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The Chopard Millie Miglia rossa limited edition they did a year or two back looked great with a red face.

6. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Chris (tophyr)

You may also want to look here: http://www.armidawatches.com/a10.php

[​IMG]

Not quite a Daytona, but a decent panda for a decent price. My only experience with a Japanese Quartz is with my Jorg Grey and the second sweep on the stopwatch isn't exact on the 're-home' to zero. It's also not an upscale quartz like the one in the Armida.

[​IMG]

7. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Just see how well the speedmaster schumacher red and yellow have held up. Theres a squill ion other variations on the chrono dials, a lot to the Japanese market for some reason.

8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know much about omega, so I've never even seen the Schumacher version. I've just begun to learn the vintage Speedmaster Pro market because i want something old, and I can't stomach a 60's 5513 or 5512 at the moment.

I can't say that I seriously considered the red one, but it raised an eyebrow. If I had pulled the trigger, I believe the remorse would been pretty bad.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

There is a nice 1970 Speedmaster MK II on HQ Milton for $2300. I'm not up on omega pricing but they seem to be rising fast.

10. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

I looked at the Omega "Dark Side of the Moon" Speedmaster again last weekend. It's a pretty cool watch.......Neat ceramic construction.............but the price is waaaaaayyyy out of Speedmaster $$!

[​IMG]

11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I saw that, I think they had a couple. I can't get into the mark II though. It's just too weird looking.

I'm not going to geek hard on this one. I'd be happy to find an unremarkable 145.022 in decent shape. I'm not trying to win the rare watch contest, I just like the thing.

That, and I sold my Capeland S and Mille Miglia. I have no chronographs. Unacceptable.

12. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Serious question, what's the point of ceramic? I'm not hating, I'm just curious about the intended advantage. Stainless has worked out pretty well since forever.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

No chrono here and I doubt I'll get a new one. I don't use it for what it's intended so I feel I was cheating it.

I'm still crushing hard on IWCs and either a MK XVII or a base Portofino auto in next but I've started looking at Glashuttes. a FP Journe is my grail right now.

14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I just like the complexity of a chrono. More moving parts are cool. I rarely use it, but it's neat to have. I have no use for the GMT hand on either of my Rolexes either, but I set it anyway.

I know jack about Glashutte, but FP Journe should be on everyone's lottery list. I try not to like them because I got mega-attitude when I stopped to gawk at their boutique in LA, but I can't. Everything they make is just too damn sexy.

IWC keeps coming up. I still want a Big Pilot, but won't ever do it because I worry I'd get it and hate the size, and I dig the Portuguese... and here we go on the chronographs again. :D

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The Big Pilot, if I had f@ck you money, would be the first thing I bought. I doubt I'd care about the size if I was that rich.

Even broke as a joke, I've found I've been looking at pre owned Big Pilots. :D

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Not looking for a ban here, so I'm not linking it, but Hodinkee did a cool story on FP Journe's sonnerie a couple weeks ago.

There's some cool footage of their small facility and a really good description of how a grande and petite sonnerie works, and how they semi-bulletproofed it.

Usually I barely glance at heavy six-figure watches, but the complication is too cool to ignore.

17. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Scratch resistant is definitely one of the main factors. Its also extremely durable and has a distinctive look.

Ride safe,
    AAron

18. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I've seen a few stories, maybe linked from here, where that durability was questioned and exceeded. The lugs shearing off comes to mind.

19. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

I'm on the fence about chrono's too. The faces become busy with all the dials and I'd never use it to time anything. Plus the extra mechanicals are cool, but like the GMT they're hidden from view so who knows what's going on.

Having said that, I do think the Speedmaster 57 Ti is drop dead gorgeous, but it's friggen thick! I've never tried one on, but I've seen pictures where it looks like a UFO landed on your wrist.

[​IMG]

20. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Every material can fail.

Ride safe,
    AAron