1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

There are some Seikos that are worth a lot more than you can steal them for.

2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I could go and buy a B&R right away if I wanted, but I just can't get myself to spend that kind of money on a watch. To me, it just doesn't make sense. The most expensive I ever bought is my Moto GP 2009 special edition Tissot (around $600) a few years ago and I still think I paid too much for it.

The only way I'll ever have a watch that's worth more than a grand is if someone buys it for me. Contrary to the Maybelline ads, I'm not worth it. :D

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You have a son, Chaos?

4. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

That exact piece is next on my list. That'll be my everyday and I'll rotate my Tag out.

I'd really like to get into an entry level Rolex, almost definitely pre owned. Now that I see they can be had in the mid 3's it's not totally out of the question.

5. cha0s#242

Funny you should ask, I'm about to find out tomorrow. We are preggers and tomorrow is the 3 month scan :D

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Son, buy yourself a good watch. He'll get it some day. :)

Daughter? buy yourself a good watch. You'll earn it by year 5 and she'll get it someday.

I recommend a Rolex Sub. :)

Oh yeah, congratulations!!! Kids rule. :up:

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

haha, that's the time of watch buying :beer: :clap:

8. cha0s#242

Thanks, it's going to be my first offspring.

My dad had a very nice seventies Seiko digital worth about 400$. I was very happy when he gave it to me. I don't think it would have been any cooler if it had been a Sub or another expensive watch. Just the fact that that it was his remembering him wearing it when I was a kid is all I needed to make it valuable. Could have been a Timex for all I care, really.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap, I have my dad's watches including a Tag I bought him.

My daughter is going to get some real nice watches when I croak. :D

10. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Good luck and congrats! Found out last Friday that we are having a boy (our first). I don't think I've ever smiled bigger in my entire life. It was awesome. :clap:

11. cha0s#242

Think she'll pawn them on the account of you being poor ? :D j/k lol

12. cha0s#242

Congrats, daddy ;)

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I've already told Sam how to sell them for max cash. :D

With luck, I'll go to my death with my dick in one hand and a smoke in the other as I scream out profanities as the plane I'm in crashes. :D Sam knows that as soon as she hangs up with the airline to be calling lawyers to sue. She'll be rich. :D

14. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Dave, please let Sam know that I clean pools. :beer:

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

My ghost is gonna haunt your hacky sack, Joe. :D

16. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

17. HRC-E.B.

HRC-E.B. Well-Known Member

You do realize that sub-1k purchases, for which you have no have no such qualms, have a way of sneaking up on you, in which case despite having no $1k watch, you are financially in the same position.

I wasn't suggesting you can't afford a BR. For all I know, you make much more than I do... I made the suggestion so that, instead of "spending it" (as in taking it straight out of your savings), you could save it out of lesser expenses you would have made but decided not to, to end up with something of higher value in the end. ;)

Oh! And much more importantly: mucho luck for tomorrow, Bro!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  18. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Wow we just had ours last Friday, I was thinking of a rifle or something else to hand over in 15yrs, a watch never even crossed my mind. Bam.

19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I'd hold off until at least 21. I wouldn't even let a 15 year hold one of my watches. :D

Submariner has my vote, not that you asked. It's just such an icon, I can't imagine a better heirloom piece.

20. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I flip between a 007 and the 009 in the photo for my beater. I love those watches. Nice movement and an absolutely indestructible case. I don't know what those things are made of, but you can't scratch them. Rolex should take some notes...